Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Local derby evening KO criticised

Jan 30, 2008
What does criticising the Police achieve? It seems the police are seen as fair game by some these days, blame the police, as if its their fault that some people are unable to behave like decent civilised people.
you're so wet behind the ears , what makes you so whiter than white ???

Jan 30, 2008
It's not their fault, but some people are always going to be unable to behave like decent civilised people. That is never going to change. If it did, then there wouldn't be any need for the police in the first place. So they probably wouldn't like that either or they wouldn't have a job.

I've never understood the logic in playing derby games in the evening. Some people would be out to cause trouble if it was played at 8am on a Thursday, you are never going to stop them. But there are a lot of others who wouldn't actually go looking for trouble, but who are likely to find it if they sit drinking in the pub for 6 hours first. Those are the kind that you can stop, by having the game at midday on a Sunday.

The decision to play our game on a Tuesday was ridiculous. Even if they'd have played it at 3pm on Saturday there would have been less trouble after the game because a lot of people would have stayed behind and had a couple in the ground, and everyone wouldn't have been in a mad rush to all try and get on the same train. Hopefully the police will see sense next season, assuming we're both in the same division.
commander that's bollocks and you know it ! HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING IN A MAD RUSH.

Albion Rob

A couple of things jumped out for me:

1. Ipswich said they didn't want to play on Good Friday because of extra policing costs - wonder if such issues will become more regular.

2. Ipswich ticket office selling tickets to away fans. That strikes me as plain crazy. I could understand for a run of the mill fixture but presumably they hadn't heard there was a bit of local antagonism with Norwich?!

It's not their fault, but some people are always going to be unable to behave like decent civilised people. That is never going to change. If it did, then there wouldn't be any need for the police in the first place. So they probably wouldn't like that either or they wouldn't have a job.

I've never understood the logic in playing derby games in the evening. Some people would be out to cause trouble if it was played at 8am on a Thursday, you are never going to stop them. But there are a lot of others who wouldn't actually go looking for trouble, but who are likely to find it if they sit drinking in the pub for 6 hours first. Those are the kind that you can stop, by having the game at midday on a Sunday.

The decision to play our game on a Tuesday was ridiculous. Even if they'd have played it at 3pm on Saturday there would have been less trouble after the game because a lot of people would have stayed behind and had a couple in the ground, and everyone wouldn't have been in a mad rush to all try and get on the same train. Hopefully the police will see sense next season, assuming we're both in the same division.

more rubbish:moo::hilton::moo:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
you're so wet behind the ears , what makes you so whiter than white ???

Not quite sure what makes me wet behind the ears, and I'm not sure white whiter than white means, but I do know I am not the sort of person who cannot behave like an adult just because my team is playing their main rival. Personally I get as excited as anyone when we play Palace, and I engage in the rivalry with the fullest passion I can in the stands, home or away, but that is all it is. I don't feel the need to become violent, and to date (well over 30 years on) I've never had any need to worry about that.

I also have noted it is nearly 2012, and I think that those who still indulge (and apparently glorify) in violent behaviour and associate it with football are thankfully in a smaller and smaller minority year on year, maybe they could all spill onto a live rail at Falmer station next year. Natural selection does tend to take time, hopefully not too much longer.

But of course I am sure some will think I am being naive, all I can say, after watching over a thousand football matches I have never been involved in any violence, might have seen a bit a long time ago, I just walked away from it.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
commander that's bollocks and you know it ! HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING IN A MAD RUSH.

Hang on you've taken my 'mad rush' comment out of context. What I meant was that there is always going to be a higher chance of trouble when everyone is penned into a small area e.g. the train queues because everyone is trying to leave at the same time. Had it not been an evening kick off, the queues for the train wouldn't have been such a potential flashpoint. Does that not make sense Mr Reich?

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
that vidoe of the 'clashes' outside the ground was hilarious..one Norwich scarfer ploughing into loads of ipswich plebs who back off before one big man throws something at the woman???

is this the least fearsome derby in the land?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
surely it should be on television though, less people would go, therefore less chance of trouble?

Reason its not televised is because when they played for the first time in years it all kicked off in the pubs in Birmingham. Wouldn't be such an issue obviously for Palace and us.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Why dont they criticise the people who cause the problems rather than a decision to stage a football match at a certain time?

True, but knuckle-draggers are never going to change, so Police in Britain have successfully over the last 30 years made midday kick offs to almost eliminate disorder in the stadium and immediately outside (Rangers-Celtic, LFC-ManU, etc).
It works.

When this has been altered ... a big mistake ... e.g. Battle Of Everton Valley. An evening FAC kickoff Everton v ManU in 2005. Video: Battle of Everton Valley

Jan 30, 2008
Hang on you've taken my 'mad rush' comment out of context. What I meant was that there is always going to be a higher chance of trouble when everyone is penned into a small area e.g. the train queues because everyone is trying to leave at the same time. Had it not been an evening kick off, the queues for the train wouldn't have been such a potential flashpoint. Does that not make sense Mr Reich?
not really, it would have happened anyway commander .

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
not really, it would have happened anyway commander .

Perhaps, but it would have lessened the chances. Do you think there would have been less, more, or exactly the same amount of trouble if it had been at midday on Sunday?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
that vidoe of the 'clashes' outside the ground was hilarious..one Norwich scarfer ploughing into loads of ipswich plebs who back off before one big man throws something at the woman???

is this the least fearsome derby in the land?

As the chief Norwich scarfer said, 'lives were at risk'???

Personally, I would prefer the Palace away game to be a Sunday noon ko. No scrum with the evening commuters, late finish etc. Much easier to drive and park, or trains quieter. If you need a drink to be 'up' for this one then you shouldn't be there. If we win, back to Brighton to celebrate by 3.

PG

Jan 30, 2008
Perhaps, but it would have lessened the chances. Do you think there would have been less, more, or exactly the same amount of trouble if it had been at midday on Sunday?
wouldn't like to say these days , it's been well documented , best leave it like that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here