Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loan player, loan players and more bloody players

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
After all the criticism the club took for the amount of loanees we had last season, the talk on NSC has been of taking two players on loan from Arsenal and now a goalkeeper on loan from Portsmouth. Will BHA be going down the same path again??? Where will it ever end. How long before we get a loan Manager?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
The difference this time is that we are talking about Premership youngsters, desperate to prove themselevs and get in their clubs 1st teams squads.

Last season we had Championship reserves running down their contracts.

SO one or two will be fine in my book

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Without trying to dismiss or ridicule the person who brought up the loan GK. I find it highly unlikly. Although, im sure i may well be proved wrong!

With regards to the two others, for which we have more evidence, i see no problem with bringing in a decent stricker on loan for a whole season. Its the 'hole season' part which makes it different from last season. I dont think we will get more than 5-6 loanies throught the next season. I beleive we have lernt from that.

I think we are more likely to sign players, better players, more permenatly. 2 years or more.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
What's the problem. Surely a year loan deal is the same as a years contract.

The problem last year was having 5 loans at a time, all with about 6 week contracts.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
After all the criticism the club took for the amount of loanees we had last season, the talk on NSC has been of taking two players on loan from Arsenal and now a goalkeeper on loan from Portsmouth. Will BHA be going down the same path again??? Where will it ever end. How long before we get a loan Manager?

Completely agree with you there. This season has not even finished and we are already talking of signing loan players...We should be trying to secure permanent transfers first then look at loanees if the squad needs to be bolstered.

What is also ridiculous is that we are supposed to be building a new squad, that cannot be done players who belong to other teams and will only be around a short-while.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
So none of the above responders feel that a loan player would not give 100% every match because he does not belong to BHA. I think a club should only be permitted to take on 4 loanees during a season. As stated in the past I think most loanees give 100%

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Young loan players are fine as they are hungry and trying to prove a point, It is as you say when people like Jarret turn up then gets a bit iffy.

Jarrett wasn't actually on loan was he?! Anyway I think it's more the players like Thornton or Fleetwood, who whilst looking easily good enough for us, failed to really establish themselves in the team and, certainly in the case of the former, seemed to have a bit of an attitude about the whole thing.

Wouldn't mind a couple of season long loans, but I agree that we should first be looking for permanent signings. If these couple of Arsenal youngsters turn out to be brilliant we will lose them again next season so we're back looking to fill massive holes again. Loans should ideally be mid season things to fill a gap.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
What's the problem. Surely a year loan deal is the same as a years contract.

The problem last year was having 5 loans at a time, all with about 6 week contracts.

Exactly!

Year-long loans, no problem.

Short term loans, big problem.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Paul McShane anyone?

As said above, its very different from a short-notice/short-term loan.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I think taking on quality players from the likes of Arsenal and Portsmouth is acceptable or with a view to signing players on permanent contacts(although it can be risky if they perform well and alert other teams a la Sidwell) its when loanees are rushed in to fill gaps en masse that problems arise. The loan market needs to used sensibly as a back up to a well planned squad.

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
More complaining, what a surprise.
There is nothing wrong with quality loan players, if they improve the team then in my mind there is nothing, nothing at-all to complain about and especially hungry young players on season long loans are brilliant IMO.

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
When a premiership player goes to another club on loan from a lower division should his partent club pay the other for helping to develop the player by giving him first team experience? Could this be done, if it is not already the case, by the parent club paying or contbibuting to the player's wages?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have always maintained that the only players who should be loaned out ar ones that a club is prepared to sell. The loaning club then pay % of the transfer value eg 10% if after a period of time say 3 months they want him they pay the balance and keep him if not he goes back to his parent club and the deposit is lost and used as a loan fee. Personal terms etc would have o be agreed prior to the loan in order thata club cannot circumvent the rules by saying the player couldnt agree personal terms.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
From the Argus today...

The timings mean that we can't rely on getting these guys in and will need to find permanent signings before pre-season IMO.

Albion must wait on Gunners

7:50am Thursday 21st May 2009

comment Comments (2) Have your say »
By Brian Owen »

Albion have been warned they might have to be patient if they are to snap up a young Gunner or two.

Boss Russell Slade and outgoing chairman Dick Knight watched Arsenal under-18s beat Spurs in the Premier Academy League title decider on Sunday.

Neither Albion nor Arsenal academy director Liam Brady are commenting on a report that the Seagulls are keen on striker Rhys Murphy, who scored the winner at White Hart Lane, and defender Kyle Bartley.

However Brady said: “We will not make any decision of that sort until we are back in pre-season.”

Former Albion left back Dan Harding has added his name to the long list of Football League players looking for a new club.

The 25-year-old defender was released yesterday by Ipswich, where he runs out of contract this summer.

Harding made 56 League starts for the Seagulls, where he came through the youth ranks, and helped them to promotion before raking in an £850,000 transfer fee when he moved to Leeds four years ago. He played just once for Ipswich last season.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I have to agree with HseagullsH and Goldstone, short term loans, in my opinion, add very little to the team unless they are there to cover a temporary injury/suspension crisis. Year-long loans and entirely different, they cannot be called back unless injured and as such really are no different to a year-long signing. Like other players in ther squad they will not want a relegation on their record and also like other players they will want to be part of a promotion winning team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here