Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Lloyd Russell-Moyle

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Owen Jones would prefer the Tory to get in. It suits his nasty agenda. He wants the smallest Labour majority possible so his lot still have a say on the left. In effect, he is working night and day for the Tories. He is one of their best election weapons.
Exactly, and he's not the only one.

@London Irish who has apparently been a Labour member for 40 years won't come on here and confirm he wants the Labour Party to win this election :shrug:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I don't think the party are doing anything, the party is bigger than the individuals who have engineered this situation.
As I see it (and I know you will disagree) the only 'engineering' here is from the person who made the complaint and if it is from the source that politics home say, then they're are no fans of starmer and wouldn't be wanting to do anything that helps him.

Also don't forget that there have been complaints from others about LRM when the nec and leadership stood by him (when he risked being deselected). If they wanted rid the that would have been the time to do it.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Well, if I were a Green, Liberal, Marxist or Fascist I would agree with you.

Perhaps if I were the type of Labour man who thought it would be 'nice' to let Jeremy be on the leadership ballot all those years ago, I would agree with you.

But..... I want to see a party I quite like with a working majority that means it can get the sort of thing I quite like, done.

Maybe trial PR in council seats and see how it works out? If it is a winner, then I may be persuaded out of my complacency. But it seems to me the middle will always end up in hock to the extremists in the coalition.

Right now, FPTP gets the Tories out of power. Job done. However with PR I can see the b'stards flattering the liberals into a coalition again. Or forming a glorious coalition with Farage and the other nut jobs, like Netanyahu has done in Israel.

Not for me....

The weakness with PR is that it always gives disproportionate power to the extremists (and I am not counting LD as extremists) and yes Israel is a classic illustration of that. However, the real problem is the politicians who crave the power they get by buddying up to extremists.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The weakness with PR is that it always gives disproportionate power to the extremists (and I am not counting LD as extremists) and yes Israel is a classic illustration of that. However, the real problem is the politicians who crave the power they get by buddying up to extremists.
Ah. That's called engaging with the art of the possible. AKA politics. When I was young I despised politics. Then I found out that if I didn't engage with it, it would nevertheless engage with me.....

If you have a PR system you either have to form a coalition with those closest to your position to create a majority (a government) or hold your nose and be part of the opposition.

The nice thing about FPTP is that the need to form a coalition is much less likely owing to the disproportionate reward in seats to the most popular parties. There is an exponential relationship between votes and seats. I am content with that.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I see absolutely no evidence of that over the last 5 years, none whatsoever :wink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
But then he’s not trying to run the country is he?
I'm not sure the MP for Brighton Kemptown, whoever they end up as, will be 'running the country'.

The point, pretty obviously, is that most Brighton fans will hold their nose when it comes to our club and gambling funds while crying foul over involvement almost anywhere else.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Imagine a world where pragmatism and stability were prized more highly than ideology. Where Ministerial jobs lasted more than five minutes and PMs lasted longer than Lettuces. Where, maybe, there was a lawyer in charge of the Home Office, an Economist as Chancellor, a former Doctor or Virologist in Health. Where hate and division were replaced with discussion.

I think it would be........quite good.

Unfortunately, what you've got is one tiny minority yelling about Palestine and another tiny minority yelling about small boats and immigrants and 80% or so of the population shaking their heads and just trying to get on with stuff like living, raising kids, enjoying a little leisure time.
Spot on.
Depressingly
Many of them still appear to be very pissed off that Magic Grandpa didn't win it for them the previous two times
Yep. Every 30 seconds on twitter

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I'm not sure the MP for Brighton Kemptown, whoever they end up as, will be 'running the country'.

The point, pretty obviously, is that most Brighton fans will hold their nose when it comes to our club and gambling funds while crying foul over involvement almost anywhere else.
same with the Saudi petrol money at Newcastle yet most (including me) drive a car fuelled possibly/probably by Saudi petrol which goes towards funding that government.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
He has actually gone up a lot in my estimation by the dignified and honourable way he has bowed out recognising due process must take place etc.

Contrast this with the hard left MPs/Wannabes who are now actively supporting the Tory Party’s aims though I suspect they’re too daft to acknowledge it. The anti-semites are quick to turn the table on Labour accusing them of racism etc and dreaming up bizarre conspiracy theories. No. It’s them that are the problem. What a contrast we have with Sir Keir crushing them against Corbyn placating them.

It’s going to be landslide and there is absolutely nothing the hard left can do to stop it.
Spot on, except Corbyn didn't placate them, he led them

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

Yes, and I’m one of them.

Bloom isn’t going to be in government, I don’t like how he makes his money, but then I love the Albion too much to take a stand on it and he’s much better than an UAE / Saudi / US alternative.

With Labour, they have a chance as the next government to change the law away from the damaging gambling industry. This pick here worries me that they won’t take the action needed.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yes, and I’m one of them.

Bloom isn’t going to be in government, I don’t like how he makes his money, but then I love the Albion too much to take a stand on it and he’s much better than an UAE / Saudi / US alternative.

With Labour, they have a chance as the next government to change the law away from the damaging gambling industry. This pick here worries me that they won’t take the action needed.
Changing the law away from the damaging gambling industry could severely affect our owner’s (and therefore BHAFC’s) finances. You do get that, right?

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
"Ruining the country", more like? Eh? Eh?

Stand-Up Lol GIF by Muppet Wiki

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
same with the Saudi petrol money at Newcastle yet most (including me) drive a car fuelled possibly/probably by Saudi petrol which goes towards funding that government.
I don't use dirty Saudi petrol.

My car runs on best British diesel.

What?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The first part is absolutely unquestionable. The second part dramatically isn't - the timing is too perfect for one of Starmer's mates to replace a potential thorn in his side. It's pretty clear that this allegation has been held until an election was called to guarantee this outcome. If the election hadn't been called, this allegation would have stayed in the pocket. There's no chance the timing is a coincidence.
IMG_0433.jpeg

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Changing the law away from the damaging gambling industry could severely affect our owner’s (and therefore BHAFC’s) finances. You do get that, right?
Yes - and I’d be fine with that.

The gambling industry in the UK ruins hundreds of thousands of lives and needs severe regulation. If the Albion loses money from it, so be it.

FWIW I don’t think we would, TB operates worldwide and would be fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here