Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Lloyd Russell-Moyle

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If we had a dominant centralist party who could control government for 15 years we might actually become more stable as a country.
Imagine a world where pragmatism and stability were prized more highly than ideology. Where Ministerial jobs lasted more than five minutes and PMs lasted longer than Lettuces. Where, maybe, there was a lawyer in charge of the Home Office, an Economist as Chancellor, a former Doctor or Virologist in Health. Where hate and division were replaced with discussion.

I think it would be........quite good.

Unfortunately, what you've got is one tiny minority yelling about Palestine and another tiny minority yelling about small boats and immigrants and 80% or so of the population shaking their heads and just trying to get on with stuff like living, raising kids, enjoying a little leisure time.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
This is absolutely appalling. So anyone can make an allegation against a sitting MP after an election has been called in order to prevent a candidate being able to run? Seems very dodgy to me and a tactic which is rife for abuse.
No, they can do it if the MP is a Labour MP not high up Starmers mates list. There's probably 60 Tory MPs with allegations against standing for re-election but they don't care

:J)

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If we had a dominant centralist party who could control government for 15 years we might actually become more stable as a country.
Eh? I wasn't being serious, hence my reference to ChangeUK that disappeared without a trace soon after the 2019 election.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Do you know many key Labour people in the Kemp Town? I knew lots who were/are connected to Turner, then Platts. Lifelong supporters and hard working volunteers. They can’t stand LRM.

There is no progressive alliance, even within the local LP.
As a member of that group I can't disagree enough. We have created a very powerful campaign team in that area and they have been fully behind LRM as candidate and MP

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
This is absolutely appalling. So anyone can make an allegation against a sitting MP after an election has been called in order to prevent a candidate being able to run? Seems very dodgy to me and a tactic which is rife for abuse.
Not just any allegation. There needs to be primae facie evidence. But yes, an opponent can hijack a candidacy. As we saw in the recent by elections with Labour needing to withdraw a candidate and not being able to replace them

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Imagine a world where pragmatism and stability were prized more highly than ideology. Where Ministerial jobs lasted more than five minutes and PMs lasted longer than Lettuces. Where, maybe, there was a lawyer in charge of the Home Office, an Economist as Chancellor, a former Doctor or Virologist in Health. Where hate and division were replaced with discussion.

I think it would be........quite good.

Unfortunately, what you've got is one tiny minority yelling about Palestine and another tiny minority yelling about small boats and immigrants and 80% or so of the population shaking their heads and just trying to get on with stuff like living, raising kids, enjoying a little leisure time.
Proportional Representation would get you what you want. At the fringes you’d have Communists and Fascists (representing minority extremes in the general population) but the majority would tend towards centrist coalitions.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As a member of that group I can't disagree enough. We have created a very powerful campaign team in that area and they have been fully behind LRM as candidate and MP
You're unaware of members/volunteers who adore Platt, who dislike him and his brand of Labour? It's not united local party, well documented when attempts were made to get Kyle and other moderates shunted to one side. Some of those doing this were 'converts' to Labour in the last ten years, opportunists who previously had been members of extreme parties. Local news also covered this.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
In your expert opinion do you think the Police at some stage will be involved in the investigation of this allegation in addition to the party’s investigation at some point?

Last edited:

yatesyman

May 17, 2013
Same happened in Ilford South in 2019, when the other wing ran the party. Allegations of sexual harassment were made against the council leader Jas Athwal the day before the selection meeting. He was suspended, Corbynite Sam Tarry won, became the MP, and the allegations against Athwal disappeared as quickly as they'd been made.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Same happened in Ilford South in 2019, when the other wing ran the party. Allegations of sexual harassment were made against the council leader Jas Athwal the day before the selection meeting. He was suspended, Corbynite Sam Tarry won, became the MP, and the allegations against Athwal disappeared as quickly as they'd been made.
Sam Tarry - as in Angela Raynor?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Seems ridiculous that an allegation can be made that results in immediate suspension, not giving the candidate enough time to defend the allegations.
Exactly this he should have remained on the ballot and not been suspended until any allegations are proven, it’s absolutely ridiculous situation as it stands all of labour’s candidates could have allegations raised over the next five weeks and end up with none of the original candidates standing

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Exactly this he should have remained on the ballot and not been suspended until any allegations are proven, it’s absolutely ridiculous situation as it stands all of labour’s candidates could have allegations raised over the next five weeks and end up with none of the original candidates standing

I agree it is dreadful that this can be done and open to nefarious actors, but I really can't see an alternative to the suspension. At least it only appears that Labour have to find a couple of prospective candidates in the next couple of weeks and not the 150 that the Conservatives still have to find.

Not that I'm suggesting that there is anything underhand behind the Conservative issue. That's simply par for the course gross incompetence and idiocy :shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Looks like the left wing are doing all they can to re-elect the Tories.

God give me strength!
Many of them still appear to be very pissed off that Magic Grandpa didn't win it for them the previous two times

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I suppose it depends on the nature of the allegation and the evidence provided, surely? If it's a "Raynor committed tax fraud" level of accusation, then as seen in that case you won't get a suspension, but if it's a severe alleged breach of code, conduct or law and there's evidence in play that's deemed significant, I would say that they 100% have to suspend. It's too risky not to

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I suppose it depends on the nature of the allegation and the evidence provided, surely? If it's a "Raynor committed tax fraud" level of accusation, then as seen in that case you won't get a suspension, but if it's a severe alleged breach of code, conduct or law and there's evidence in play that's deemed significant, I would say that they 100% have to suspend. It's too risky not to
then as his potential voters should be told the exact nature of the claim....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here