Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Lloyd Russell-Moyle

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Suspended by Labour and won't stand as the Kemp Town candidate during the election. Bit of a shock. What are the allegations?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not published. Everything is conjecture. Timing is interesting though.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Seems ridiculous that an allegation can be made that results in immediate suspension, not giving the candidate enough time to defend the allegations.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Reminds me of Brighton in the 80s where there was an almost McCarthyist pogrom against Militant Tendency and several people were accused and suspended with little or no evidence.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The problem is that no party can ignore serious allegations, nor can they make them public. They may not be able to tell the relevant person the nature of the complaint in case it jeopardizes the safety of the person making the complaint. Especially if it would be a police matter.

Had labour sat on this, even if the MP were later found to be innocent, they could rightly be accused of attempting to brush allegations under the carpet.

Bloody annoying, of course, but it is what it is.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Was it Michael Hesseltine, now regarded as a sensible old school moderate Tory, who grabbed the Mace during a Parliamentary session?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
He'll have said something the that can somehow be construed as antisemitic by Jewish supremacists.
There was an effort to remove him after he spoke in support of Palestinians a few years back. I got sent a video labelled "blood libel" of him speaking and a lengthy message about how we needed to remove this ranting lunatic. I wasted about an hour if my life trying to find what he said that was objectionable and the worst I could come up with was he might have loosely implied a support for a Palestinian right of return.
Rather than delve into the intricacies and assumptions that combine to say this is virulently antisemitic it's easier to state the opposite case that denying it is racist:
All refugees have a right of return.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He'll have said something the that can somehow be construed as antisemitic by Jewish supremacists.
There was an effort to remove him after he spoke in support of Palestinians a few years back. I got sent a video labelled "blood libel" of him speaking and a lengthy message about how we needed to remove this ranting lunatic. I wasted about an hour if my life trying to find what he said that was objectionable and the worst I could come up with was he might have loosely implied a support for a Palestinian right of return.
Rather than delve into the intricacies and assumptions that combine to say this is virulently antisemitic it's easier to state the opposite case that denying it is racist:
All refugees have a right of return.

Are you having a wild guess?

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
We are all piling assumption on assumption concerning what the complaint might be. The labour party is in a no win position on this assuming the complaint is genuine and serious.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
The problem is that no party can ignore serious allegations, nor can they make them public. They may not be able to tell the relevant person the nature of the complaint in case it jeopardizes the safety of the person making the complaint. Especially if it would be a police matter.

Had labour sat on this, even if the MP were later found to be innocent, they could rightly be accused of attempting to brush allegations under the carpet.

Bloody annoying, of course, but it is what it is.
The key thing though is that the allegation was made just days after the election was called despite the alleged incident dating back some years. The timing seems designed to frustrate his candidacy. Mind you, that might be just a personal decision by the accuser rather than any sort of anti-left conspiracy by the party leadership.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Was it Michael Hesseltine, now regarded as a sensible old school moderate Tory, who grabbed the Mace during a Parliamentary session?
LOL, yes I’m old enough to remember that too. I just heard Hezza being interviewed on Times Radio, talking way too much sense about the election, and ridiculing both main parties for their pettiness. Worth a listen (11am show).

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Reminds me of Brighton in the 80s where there was an almost McCarthyist pogrom against Militant Tendency and several people were accused and suspended with little or no evidence.
It was this that did it for me with Labour. I saw first hand how the local party was suspended for years (a few weeks were promised originally) and the right came back in full control. It was no longer a broad church. It was the NEC way or the highway. The ridiculous thing was that there were hardly any Militant active across the whole of B&H, but there were unaligned uppity, intelligent lefties.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I just looked at LRM's statement on Twitter and it was interesting to see prominent Green politicians' (including Elaine Hills, the candidate in Kemptown) supportive messages. She said:
'I’m so sorry @lloyd_rm - I hope you’re ok. This is really shabby, just before an election. I hope members of the local party are supporting you.'

Still a place for human empathy in politics.

I wonder if it's too late for him to stand as an Independent?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here