Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The guy was and is an idiot - but that is not why Corbyn's LP didn't win the election - that was down to the Blairites within the LP who he didn't remvoe (including Starmer who was one of the chief architects in ensuring the LP would lose the election) working in cahoots with the media and the political establishment in Britain.

No. No it wasn't. It was down to Brexit. Every election since 2015 has been. May screwed up our "democratic" exit and the Tories put forward their Latin stand up comedian and made him learn a three word slogan and repeat it at Labour voters in the north who had also voted for Brexit.

The biggest irony (and, arguably, tragedy) of Brexit is that Corbyn's natural position would be to leave a capitalist conglomerate and Boris's would be to stay in it. Each argued against their personal morals because they feared for the existential position of their treasured political party.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No. No it wasn't. It was down to Brexit. Every election since 2015 has been. May screwed up our "democratic" exit and the Tories put forward their Latin stand up comedian and made him learn a three word slogan and repeat it at Labour voters in the north who had also voted for Brexit.

The biggest irony (and, arguably, tragedy) of Brexit is that Corbyn's natural position would be to leave a capitalist conglomerate and Boris's would be to stay in it. Each argued against their personal morals because they feared for the existential position of their treasured political party.

That last bit is very true. Johnson always a Europhile, Corbyn a career critic of a club for capitalist employers and the rich.

By 2019, an unashamed opportunist, opposed by a duplicitous guy who abandoned his beliefs.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
K
To be clear I’m not in favour of Kwarteng’s tax moves, if anything it’s (excuse the pun) a suicide note.

We only have to suffer it for 27 months. In those 27 months hard cash hasn’t actually been robbed from the poor to the rich … it delivers modest bribes to the hoi polloi, huge cash handouts to big earners, all funded by public borrowing.

Firstly, I wasn’t getting at you!:thumbsup:

And secondly, I broadly agree:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ms Truss was a Remainer who changed her tune when she came to serve in a government that was resigned to trying anything it could to push Brexit through Parliament.

When that process dragged on for years without progress, calls grew for a second referendum on EU membership. In an interview with LBC’s Eddie Mair, Ms Truss was caught out when trying to dispute the case for another vote.

Mr Mair: “What about people who have changed their minds on Brexit?”

Ms Truss: “I don’t think people have changed their minds.”

Mr Mair: “You have.”

Ms Truss: “I have, that’s true...”

From an article in the Independent.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ms Truss was a Remainer who changed her tune when she came to serve in a government that was resigned to trying anything it could to push Brexit through Parliament.

When that process dragged on for years without progress, calls grew for a second referendum on EU membership. In an interview with LBC’s Eddie Mair, Ms Truss was caught out when trying to dispute the case for another vote.

Tbf she said "people" so there's no real contradiction

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I find it intriguing that no one’s started a “Labour Party Conference” thread …it has started hasn’t it?

What I've read so far is too depressing to start a thread!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m a floating voter, latterly voting Lucas. I’m quite excited about what I’ve said all along will happen, a clean start in Dec 2024. I had that feeling in 1997 [forget his pro EU credentials much-loved on nsc …. Major was an awful leader, way out of his depth, Ken Clarke the lone star]. The only potential spanner would be a very disruptive Sturgeon, with a following of just 1.24m yet the ability to screw Starmer’s premiership over 67m souls.

With hindsight (a wonderful thing), austerity was a huge mistake. Brown also had an austerity plan at the 2010 GE, Newsnight last week reminded a Labour politician that the IFS had said at the time something like there was just a narrow margin between all the parties plans in 2010. An interesting summary with graphics here.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/apr/28/general-election-2010-spending-cuts-ifs

The cuts planned by all 2010 GE parties simply weren’t needed, when interest rates were so low. Instead, it should’ve been a Keynesian time for investment. Interestingly this was/is an international issue, Mediterranean countries are still bitter about the austerity imposed (in effect) by Germany. I think you’ve posted along those lines for a long time. I had thought the opposite, caught up in the near universal mood music at the time.

Looking forward again, I think and hope that spending will be directed into THE critical areas eg mental health, non-HS2 rail infrastructure, small nuclear power plants, the NHS (frontline only!), the restoration of closed Sure Start centres, on the NHS and similar staff wages. In a very changed environment now I can’t see the need for private railway companies and energy suppliers, but it’s not a priority. I await sarcastic [MENTION=15734]harry[/MENTION] Wilson’s tackle labelling me a Commie :lolol:.

Taxation - this is where we probably differ. I don’t believe in taxing high and very high earners until the pips squeak. Not necessarily for an ideological reason, but working in the tax world, you get behavioural changes. For example legitimate tax planning, people moving overseas, or retiring early, cutting back their hours, or just not being incentivised to start that extra project, take that extra risk. I don’t believe in any marginal tax rate which is a deterrent.

Commie b'stard!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
To be clear I’m not in favour of Kwarteng’s tax moves, if anything it’s (excuse the pun) a suicide note.

We only have to suffer it for 27 months. In those 27 months hard cash hasn’t actually been robbed from the poor to the rich … it delivers modest bribes to the hoi polloi, huge cash handouts to big earners, all funded by public borrowing.

It’s not a significant point, but can you really see them dragging out the 5 year term to the max and until December 2025? This would mean a GE in January and campaigning over the Christmas holidays.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I find it intriguing that no one’s started a “Labour Party Conference” thread …it has started hasn’t it?

They’re all so stage managed these days, dissenting voices don’t seem to attend, each speech a lectern-thumping monologue to an echo, echo, echo chamber.

The last aggro I can remember was the Alastair Campbell version of the Labour Party having bouncers remove the 90 year leftie from the Brighton Centre main auditorium. The bouncers won!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Being a conservative politician is about staying one step behind the flow. Once you become leader you get found out (in post Major times).

There is nothing especially virtuous about finding a position and sticking with it come what Theresa.

However, when the position is at one extreme, blowing in the wind of public whimsy to the other extreme isn't an inspiring look.

Especially when it isn't the public whimsy but some imagined whimsy, deemed by a think tank to be a vote winner.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s not a significant point, but can you really see them dragging out the 5 year term to the max and until December 2025? This would mean a GE in January and campaigning over the Christmas holidays.

Isn’t it Dec 24? And yes, the full 5.

The only reason I remember Dec 19 is that it was 3 months before the Mar 20 pandemic turned the world upside down.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They’re all so stage managed these days, dissenting voices don’t seem to attend, each speech a lectern-thumping monologue to an echo, echo, echo chamber.

The last aggro I can remember was the Alastair Campbell version of the Labour Party having bouncers remove the 90 year leftie from the Brighton Centre main auditorium. The bouncers won!

Viva bouncers.

No I'll pass on posting an educational video, boys (boys boys).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Oh I remember that well.

….Does Sir Keir do lectern thumping? Might need to tune in to check

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You really think that either of them thought it through like that?

Johnson backed what he thought would favour his ambition.

Corbyn simply wasn't interested, or paying political attention, and offered no leadership or firm position of any sort, because what passes as his mind was elsewhere. Where? I really don't know. Probably on how best to get to a picket line somewhere using public transport.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Has anyone considered the point of view that the Tories are resigned to defeat at the next GE so between now and then it's a case of 'fill your boots' with as much as you can.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here