Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm staggered by IR35. Making people who work pay tax is hardly controlversial.

It's making them pay the incorrect level of tax that;'s been controversial.

Imagine this: The fees your profession charges haven't changed or have fallen from a decade ago as the market is dominated by giant multi-national companies PLUS to get the work you have no option but to sign zero hours contracts that guarantee no work whatsoever PLUS you receive no sick pay, holiday pay or pension PLUS when COVID struck, you could be and were dropped unpaid, indefinitely, at 24 hours notice PLUS you received no Government help at all during that period because you had to keep your business going and even those odd scraps of work ruled out financial help.

Then imagine that once you go back to work properly months later you have to shell out hundreds of pounds for experts to prove the blindingly obvious, that your circumstances mean you are rightly deemed self-employed - as you have been for decades. However, clients are now so risk averse that, at best, you'll spend literally days battling their legal departments to get that evidence accepted. Just as often, they'll ignore the evidence completely and impose arbitrary limits on how often you can work for them, slashing your earnings potential for the year by about 20-30%.

The only alternative is to be forced on to payroll where any 'benefits' that suggests will be deducted from your existing rate while you remain on a zero hours contract etc etc. Should that person now be taxed exactly the same as the genuine employee sat next to them who gets private medical insurance, a company car, a company pension, sick pay, paid holiday, use of the company gym, access to employee discounts with related firms and who was furloughed on 80% of their pay for the entirety of the pandemic?

Many fellow freelancers have done what I've done. Taken a massive financial hit, seen years of progress go down the pan but refused to surrender self-employed status incorrectly. The end of ir35 will be a gigantic relief for the huge proportion of genuinely self-employed people it should never have affected in the first place. It's just a shame that years of those arguments being totally ignored had no effect - yet now it suits the political dogma, it's gone. Right outcome, finally, but the motive stinks.

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Man my cynicism is at an all time high today.

Watch this lot, just watch them, win the next GE as well.

We'll be a couple of years on from Boris and his lies (that some voters don't care about anyway) and all it'll take is the usual "immigrants!" "they tried to stop Brexit!" drum banging and hey-presto four more years of Tory rule.

Nailed on, guaranteed, save this post and hail me as an oracle.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Do we have to go anywhere to receive the trickled down money? Is it a case of standing around outside my local Barclays and waiting for the bankers to throw money down, or will they just post it to me?

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
You create economic growth by spending more on infrastructure, education & training for the population.

What we have here are massive inflationary tax cuts that create a mind-boggling deficit and the only growth it provides is to the top 1%'s earnings.

It's as though they've given up on the 2024 election and are just trying to make things as shit as possible for the new government.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Do we have to go anywhere to receive the trickled down money? Is it a case of standing around outside my local Barclays and waiting for the bankers to throw money down, or will they just post it to me?

Tories get very angry about the term "trickle-down economics". Why would they want their wealth to trickle anywhere? It's "stick a cork in the leak so that me and my rich mates can stay rich and earn more economics".

This isn't the case of the mask slipping. The mask is in pieces on the floor now and the full selfish monstrosity that is this government is now laid bare for all who care to look at it. The question is: will they?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

[tweet]1573243112956301312[/tweet]

The bad news is the energy bills will be going up by £200 a month

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Move to the Cayman Islands or BVI.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Your pound is now worth 3 cents less against the dollar compared to yesterday, and a cent less against the Euro. Not very helpful in a cost of living crisis driven largely by fuel costs when the Dollar is the currency used for oil.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Man my cynicism is at an all time high today.

We'll be a couple of years on from Boris and his lies (that some voters don't care about anyway) and all it'll take is the usual "immigrants!" "they tried to stop Brexit!" drum banging and hey-presto four more years of Tory rule.

I think what we’l”see is the Tory’s winning all foreseeable GE’s and it all becoming a blur of lies and misinformation until we live under a sort of sealed in democtorship, where the poor are living in permanent crisis and the rich carry on announcing “help for the poor” that only increases the wealth of the rich and people are too stupid to vote against it.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Value of the GBP in our pockets is currently crashing *hard*.

Started the day being worth US$1.1262.

As I type this, it's at US$1.1021.

If it doesn't recover and correct back (or worse continues on the current trajectory) then this is getting into big trouble very fast territory. Large drops in the value of the GBP *will* cause inflationary pressure. That will spook the BoE, and they're already spooked - so expect to see further sharp increases in interest rates.

I don't expect anything good to come out of this. I just hope it's not as bad as history tells us it could be.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

I think that's a given which is quite a depressing thought. Always voted Labour but have no confidence with the current Labour leadership. Never underestimate the combined power of the Sun, Daily Mail and Daily Express when it comes to swaying the electorate

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The Tories really don't deserve their reputation for "economic competence", but even I didn't expect them to blow it out of the water in a single morning.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Value of the GBP in our pockets is currently crashing *hard*.

Started the day being worth US$1.1262.

As I type this, it's at US$1.1021.

If it doesn't recover and correct back (or worse continues on the current trajectory) then this is getting into big trouble very fast territory. Large drops in the value of the GBP *will* cause inflationary pressure. That will spook the BoE, and they're already spooked - so expect to see further sharp increases in interest rates.

I don't expect anything good to come out of this. I just hope it's not as bad as history tells us it could be.

Typical ... as I posted that, it's recovered a little to US$1.1057. Remains to be seen if that's a brief rally before a further slide or a genuine bottoming-out / recovery correction. Already seen a couple of brief rallies today before further slides.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Aaah good, The Baron of Schadenfreude is in the House.

In what respect is he displaying schadenfreude?

What possible pleasure could anybody derive from this utter shitshow, and the devastation it is going to wreak?

Never mind - you just carry on waving the blue flag and pretending everything is going fine.

Oh wait - a minor opposition politician made a mistake in a tweet! Forget the collapse of our ****ing currency lads - look at the stupid labour woman!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here