Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss defending S.W. Norfolk seat July 4th.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It would be 100 times better than Portillo would it? He was a bit slimy and all, but not a bad bloke. Truss barely qualifies as human

This. Portilllo was inconsequential by comparison.

Truss was for 49 days our equivalent of Trump or Sarah Palin, and economically illiterate, costing millions of households dearly.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
IMG_4175.png

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
For historic reasons, Sunk then Truss losing would be ones to hope for as in sitting and former PM.

For 'get in there' reasons, Rees-Mogg, Gullis, C/Hunt, Patel and Braverman would be next to hope for.

Johnny Mercer hasn't many fans on Twitter either and that will make quite a noise.

Rees-Mogg will be charming in defeat as will Hunt, they will be sympathy for Sunak as there is always is for a PM who loses an election.

The Portillo moment will be Truss. Patel and Braverman will probably win.

What interesting is to me is not who goes but who stays. Fascinating. I think Patel has the inclination to try and bring the party together, Braverman full on loony (who stabbed Johnson in the back live on TV) will want to take the part even more to the right.

Badenoch simply doesn't have the temperament to be leader. Someone even Farage describes as "very unpleasant".

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Johnny Mercer hasn't many fans on Twitter either and that will make quite a noise.

Rees-Mogg will be charming in defeat as will Hunt, they will be sympathy for Sunak as there is always is for a PM who loses an election.

The Portillo moment will be Truss. Patel and Braverman will probably win.

What interesting is to me is not who goes but who stays. Fascinating. I think Patel has the inclination to try and bring the party together, Braverman full on loony (who stabbed Johnson in the back live on TV) will want to take the part even more to the right.

Badenoch simply doesn't have the temperament to be leader. Someone even Farage describes as "very unpleasant".
It will be interesting night. Mercer is really unpleasant, even by Tory standards, and I think his loss will be particularly well celebrated. You can add him to the list of Gullis, Jenkyns and Francois as people who aren't 'big beasts' but whose demise will be widely cheered. Sadly, I think 30p Lee will win his seat.

There'll be even more sympathy for Sunak if he loses his seat. It would be quite incredible for a sitting PM to lose, something that has never happened (although we came close in 1906). I definitely think there's a chance.

Next Tory leadership election will be fascinating. Labour will be praying to all the gods that Braverman wins but I'm not sure she will. Badenoch is a members' favourite but she hasn't made any friends in the party and her ability to start an argument in an empty room will count against her. Honest Bob may be another option. Swordswoman could possibly lose her seat but otherwise would be a contender and Tugendhat would be a solid centrist choice (and probably the candidate Labour would most fear).

Next few days are going to be fun.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
. You can add him to the list of Gullis, Jenkyns and Francois as people who aren't 'big beasts' but whose demise will be widely cheered.
Small rodents would be a better description of their pollical gravitas and status

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Been sitting outside polling station since 7.30 am - steady turnout but ex-con Independent teller being very pushy - not fun doing this in a Tory stronghold 🙄

RED Kite circling overhead briefly - will take that as an omen 🙂
IMG_2009.jpeg

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
We know result now. Just about the majority Would guss at least 200
There is a very strong Reform/Conservative demographic at this polling station and maybe in the town in general - very much depends on rural communities and how popular the Independent candidate is. Very much hoping but not presuming anything.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Portillo was detested and despised at the time.

It was only later that he re-launched himself as a train travelling TV personality and against the odds redeemed himself in the eyes of the public.
Yes, Portillo was politcally horrible at the time. He was also the darling of the party and leader in waiting, so his loss was a fairly seismic hit to what remained of the parliamentary party. Rees Mogg, Truss etc. would be a bit of schadenfreude, but the unexpected removal of someone from the right with realistic leadership ambitions would be the equivalent. Badenoch, or Braverman would be the dream, but a too close lab/lib opposition split means that both look fairly safe unless tactical voting really kicks in.

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
but a too close lab/lib opposition split means that both look fairly safe unless tactical voting really kicks in.
Lib Dem is very much a minority in Truss’s constituency - some tactical voting for Labour is hoped for but the main problem for Truss will the Independent ex Conservative Candidate which will split her vote. Maybe Labour’s best chance.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Lib Dem is very much a minority in Truss’s constituency - some tactical voting for Labour is hoped for but the main problem for Truss will the Independent ex Conservative Candidate which will split her vote. Maybe Labour’s best chance.
True, but I was talking about Essex NW (Badenoch) and Fareham & Waterlooville (Braverman).

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Appeared on Far Right Youtube channel Lotus Eaters. She's lost the plot, she needs to go....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But what for?

His crimes, which in my mind are generally being a supercilious tory posh boy, are nowhere near that of Truss.

This would surely be on a different scale
God knows I'm no Tory but I've met Portillo a few times and he's actually quite a reasonable bloke to chat to; Truss, on the other hand, seems deeply unpleasant. I'm in no rush to meet her to find out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here