Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Living on a boat

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
i lived on board my yacht for 2 years in Brighton marina and Shoreham harbor and i fully intend to buy a narrow boat when i retire and live aboard that. Its a great way of living, you seem to adapt and live your life at a much slower pace.
ps sold yacht 2 years ago as it was not being used much:bigwave:

I lived on my 12metre Sedan Cruiser (basically a cabin cruiser with a sportfishing deck and a housing with a steering deck on the top) for 7 years.
I liked it a lot, have some good memories, slept really well and was never cold or damp like people seem to think you might get.

Water tank with a pump, maintain the toilet and bilge pumps, and you should be alright. The fridge had to be smaller than a house one, but I used the local supermarket as my fridge!
There's an economy of space for clothes and personal effects, so you might find sizing down a bit of an experience if you are used to having a lot of gear.
Neighbours can be a bit close for comfort some times, and that camaraderie can be too much if you aren't used to it - and there are a mix of 'boat people', so be ready to mix with all sorts and decide who to keep at a slight distance.... perhaps be a little reserved to begin with so you can feel them out first.

All in all, you can't knock trying a new experience - just know when the time is right to change back to dry land living again

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Holy thread revival

geodavies

Jan 8, 2012
Saltdean
My partner and I are considering buying a Dutch Barge with a mooring on or near the River Thames. Has anyone done or know anyone that has done this? There's only so much you can pick up from books and the Internet, so I'd be interested to hear about the less obvious pitfalls from those with any experience.

I have a narrow boat on the Kennet and Avon canal which leads on to the Thames at Reading.....it's cheaper moorings than the Thames ( you need a Environmental Agency license rather than a BW license, or both, a Gold license ) or if you plan to move around the canal system, it's free ie you don't need a private mooring, you just need a continuous cruising license, although you will have no problem staying put for a few weeks.....hope this helps....PM me if you want

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
My partner and I are considering buying a Dutch Barge with a mooring on or near the River Thames. Has anyone done or know anyone that has done this? There's only so much you can pick up from books and the Internet, so I'd be interested to hear about the less obvious pitfalls from those with any experience.

A lad I worked with from Stafford lived on one over hackney, he loved it, he used joke with me about coming over to stay, I'm 6,6 , so if you are over tall don't rush and buy. I know this may be an obvious and they get extremely cold in the winter,

Good luck

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
In 2009 of my Dubai trip i decided to stay in cruise there are lot of cruises available for the whole night. Am with my family enjoying Dhow Cruise Dinner in Dubai.

Why on earth has this poster been banned? This, along with the other 12 similar posts, are possibly the most useful bits of information ever to appear on NSC.

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
A lad I worked with from Stafford lived on one over hackney, he loved it, he used joke with me about coming over to stay, I'm 6,6 , so if you are over tall don't rush and buy. I know this may be an obvious and they get extremely cold in the winter,

Good luck

I've lived on my narrowboat for 3 years now, in winter it can be like living in an oven when the fire is going strong, but very pleasant if properly kept.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
My lotto win plan is a barge in the center of Amsterdam for summer and a villa in southern Portugal for winter...just need to the win the lotto now..

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
My Mum and Dad lived on a Houseboat in 1955 when they were first married and spent their honeymoon aboard in Surrey Boatyard Shoreham behind the long abandoned Parcel Force Depot and they loved it. There are a couple of boats for sale there at the moment, think they paid £ 200 for theirs in 1955 and was a converted WW2 landing craft. In 1976 some years after they sold up it came up for sale again at £ 450 and me and my girlfriend at the time went to take a look. Was a bit too much to take on at 18/19yrs old so passed the chance on which I have always regretted, the boat not the girl !!! Still a dream for me or a canalboat.So I for one would say go for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here