Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No mention of all the scouts watching Dunk yesterday so far on here today yet.

lastyboy

Jan 26, 2012
Lewes East Sussex
I think you guys need a reality check. Midfield was hopelessly overrun. Navarro terrible, Barnes embarrassing ( as usual )..KLL was the only player to emerge from the whole game with any credit. It was a shockingly inept performance, riddled with misplaced passes, poor challenges and clueless defending. They seemed overawed, nervous and inadequate. Words fail me about the cretin in goal.

Exactly this!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I think you guys need a reality check. Midfield was hopelessly overrun. Navarro terrible, Barnes embarrassing ( as usual )..KLL was the only player to emerge from the whole game with any credit. It was a shockingly inept performance, riddled with misplaced passes, poor challenges and clueless defending. They seemed overawed, nervous and inadequate. Words fail me about the cretin in goal.

Calm down dear and come down from planet Hysterical Overreaction.

It was a cup game and we made some mistakes, probably Gus made a couple of selection errors and we defended poorly at times.

Liverpool were really on song (you should've heard their lot on the whipping Bolton gave them a couple of weeks ago, but now they've bounced back with a top premiership team performance).

We showed in the second half at the Amex and in the first at Anfield that we could play some good football against them, particularly in midfield with our movement & passing game.

Your posting is a one sided and very negative response, get a bit of perspective. Andy Carroll cost twice as much as our entire team.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Calm down dear and come down from planet Hysterical Overreaction.

It was a cup game and we made some mistakes, probably Gus made a couple of selection errors and we defended poorly at times.

Liverpool were really on song (you should've heard their lot on the whipping Bolton gave them a couple of weeks ago, but now they've bounced back with a top premiership team performance).

We showed in the second half at the Amex and in the first at Anfield that we could play some good football against them, particularly in midfield with our movement & passing game.

Your posting is a one sided and very negative response, get a bit of perspective. Andy Carroll cost twice as much as our entire team.

Clearly the post you're replying to was OTT, but for all the good passing and possession in the first half, very little of it went anywhere, I thought they let us play in the first half, and only stepped up a or two gear in the second. Whether it would have been a little different without the goal before HT, I don't know. 4-1 would have been a fairer result, but we were never really in it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think he needs a rest. He is only young and has played nearly all season so far.

I would hope, in the nicest possible way, that El Abd and Greer are restored at centre half for the Hull match, Dunk gets a rest, and Mattock & Reyes come back in at full back. Poyet didn't have a lot of options at the back yesterday given that he either had to play El Abd or Dunk in the position, but I'm sure in any other circumstances it would have been Mattock

Personally I thought the defensive side of midfield was where it was lost for us. Bridcutt had his worst game for a long time (and I thought that long before I found out he'd scored two OGs), Navarro was alright at best, but couldn't carry it on his own, and with someone like Gerrard driving forward at every opportunity and Suarez dropping deep to collect the ball, it was putting our defence on the back foot from the start. I didn't actually think the defence were THAT bad- there were several outstanding clearances preventing certain goals (off the top of my head from Greer, Calderon, Barnes and Dunk), but they were hopelessly exposed by the lack of bite in midfield. It left me thinking that we really could have done with an energetic, driving centre midfielder, like, I don't know, Abdul Razak perhaps?

The one good thing about all this is that we've got four players- Razak, Asulin, Mattock, Reyes- to potentially come in against Hull who didn't play yesterday and thus won't be having nightmares about being repeatedly bypassed by Suarez.

Incidentally, Suarez might be a completely odious little man and a grade A cheat, but he's still an outstanding player, and I genuinely believe he would have torn a fair few Premier League teams apart on the form he showed yesterday.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The third goal killed us, well taken by Andy Carroll (not so easy as it looks). Vokes had an equal chance in the first half and fluffed his lines. Then with only three at the back, we still managed to score in their own net. Then we pushed and did not double up on Downing. And although playing three at the back was understandable as Liverpool did not pose a threat down the right until Kuyt came on, it did mean that there was only defender to in the box against Carroll and Suarez for their last goal.

seagull1981

Blue & White Forever
Aug 8, 2010

I would of said Navarro was one our best players yesterday actually?

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Personally I thought the defensive side of midfield was where it was lost for us. Bridcutt had his worst game for a long time (and I thought that long before I found out he'd scored two OGs), Navarro was alright at best, but couldn't carry it on his own, and with someone like Gerrard driving forward at every opportunity and Suarez dropping deep to collect the ball, it was putting our defence on the back foot from the start. I didn't actually think the defence were THAT bad- there were several outstanding clearances preventing certain goals (off the top of my head from Greer, Calderon, Barnes and Dunk), but they were hopelessly exposed by the lack of bite in midfield.

Spot on analysis IMHO

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Clearly the post you're replying to was OTT, but for all the good passing and possession in the first half, very little of it went anywhere, I thought they let us play in the first half, and only stepped up a or two gear in the second. Whether it would have been a little different without the goal before HT, I don't know. 4-1 would have been a fairer result, but we were never really in it.

I don't agree that they just "let" us play but I do agree that mostly we weren't in it, particularly in the second half however, that's the way it can go in a "one off" game.

We went to Anfield in 83 and beat probably the best Liverpool team ever assembled. Palace went to Old Trafford this season with mostly journeymen and managed to beat United. Both "one offs" as clearly the underdogs triumphed.

The gods didn't smile on us yesterday and superior skills won the day but my point is that it doesn't mean that suddenly most of the team is crap and they never did a single thing right throughout the game.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Does every thread have to have include a pop at Barnes - how can some of our fans understand so little about the games they apparently watch? 'embarrassing (as usual) - FFS! One of our most consistant players in 2012 and still our topscorer. But it's not all about goals and he was everwhere winninig foul after foul to break up Liverpool's movement.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have to agree with other posts suggesting Bridcutt and Navarro doesn't work. Bridcutt's name is probably first on the team sheet and what he needs is a creative midfielder ahead of him, either JFC or play Vicente in a more central role, notwithstanding the fact the new boys may fit that role.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Totally agree Navarro and Barnes could not cope with Liverpools movement in midfield and both left others to cover at times. Just watched the game on TV to get another perspective and my opinions have not altered Navarro slows the game down too much and Barnes lets players run away from him and expects others to pick players up. He spent a lot of time pointing at players he wanted someone else to pick up when it was clearly his man. Certainly one of Gus's favourites as he is rarely substituted and nearly always starts, but for me he and navs are our weak links. Hopefully Razak will play and it will mean that Bridcutt will not have to do two jobs in midfield that of playmaker at the back, getting everything started and that of covering the lack of support in midfield. I am sorry, I have tried to give Barnes the benefit of the doubt and for a couple of games recently I thought he was winning me over, but he has been poor again in the last few games and we can't afford to carry players in midfield

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here