Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Anyone else chuckling heartily at how this season is shaping up for them?

To be honest, I'd be chuckling if any of the "big 4" had been going through a season like this, but Rafa's handling of Alonso really does smack of chickens coming home to roost.

Just think, if Torres and Gerrard both go through a sustained period out, they're looking at the sort of league position that was reserved for the likes of Aston Villa until O'Neill rocked up.

Oct 25, 2003
losing alonso was a HUGE blow, with this aquilani guy out injured they've essentially replaced xabi alonso with lucas

they also have no decent back up strikers

i do really think they'll drop out of the 'top 4' this year, which is a shame for them because if they'd built on last year they'd stand a decent chance of winning it, but they seem to have got poorer (selling keane was also a huge f*** up)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don't Liverpool owe the bank some kind of horrendous instalment of the Torres fee shortly ?
An early CL exit would be something of a catastrophe for them. All good fun. Perhaps they should have found that extra million Villa wanted for Barry last year.

Then again, when your forward line consists of Voronin, Kuyt and Ngog I'm not sure it matters WHO you have in the middle of the park. Even two Gerrards would struggle to carry that mob.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Just been reported on Sky Sports News that they have sold out of the beach balls. What chances that the Man U fans have bought aload and expect to see a few spill onto Anfield on Sunday?

Oct 25, 2003
yi yi yi tru DAT easy

they well needed barry

another monumental f*** up there

they could still do with someone else who can score a goal though, i feel sorry for torres, he basically has to score all the goals for an entire team

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Not a lot of sympathy, yet another club that thinks it has a God given right to success.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Nope.

Still the most successful English team of all time and I like them.

Benitez has been crucified by all and sundry over the last two years besides bringing them a European Cup and their best ever Premiership points haul. He was then ridiculed for pointing out everything that everyone thought anyway by Ferguson, and had his personal integrity called into question by Fergie for the Allardyce incident.

He may have taken Liverpool as far as he can and he may have hi slimitations as a manager, but the way he has been treated by the press and fellow managers is appalling.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Benitex deserves all the crap he is getting for the money he spent. Replacing Alonso with Aquilani who still isn't fit would get some managers the bullet on it's own.

Without Gerrard and Torres I reckon they would come 7th.

Those poor long suffering scousers fans eh !?

Thieves the lot of em

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
After the Robbie Keane fiasco, as a poorly run club, Liverpool are getting what they deserve. If the board had sanctioned Barry instead of insisting
on Keane and selling Crouch,in my opinion Liverpool would have won the
league last season.

Not enough quality players in depth and to many Carlos Kickaballs

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Any shake-up of what was an established order suits me. Liverpool, United, or Chelsea in particular. They are not perfect - but I like Arsenal under Wenger - so for me they can stay up there.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
All the 'big' 4 are weaker this season in my opinion, L'pool probably more so than the other three. Rafa makes some strange man-management decisions, and his handling of Alonso is probably top of the list. Lucas is not a Liverpool standard of player (even though he's in the Brazil squad), he rarely does anything of any quality. Obviously Gerrard, Torres and Reina the the top three, I personally like Kuyt too, but the others (possibly with the exception of Johnson - too early to tell), are not good enough and too inconsistent for what is expected of them.

I should be a much more open competition this year.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Nope.

Still the most successful English team of all time and I like them.

Except being foreign-owned, foreign-managed and with predominately foreign players they're not really English any more. I know they're based in England and the majority mof their home support is English but that's about it. It's like saying Coca Cola is British because it has a bottling plant in Milton Keynes.

I actually couldn't give two hoots either way, I just want the (few) English players keep themselves fit for next summer.

On a different match: it WAS funny to find the Huns had lost at home to a load of unknown Romanians. Now that's a result we can all cheer! (Sorry Brighton Bluenose!)

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Anyone else chuckling heartily at how this season is shaping up for them?

To be honest, I'd be chuckling if any of the "big 4" had been going through a season like this, but Rafa's handling of Alonso really does smack of chickens coming home to roost.

Just think, if Torres and Gerrard both go through a sustained period out, they're looking at the sort of league position that was reserved for the likes of Aston Villa until O'Neill rocked up.

:thumbsup:i for one am chuckling!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As a part time/former Villa fan, I'm absolutely loving it. So much rubbish spouted about Benitez "not having the funds". He has wasted more money on journeymen than any manager I can think of. Also:

Keane 18m
Torres 20m
Mascherano 24m
Johnson 18m
Aquilani 20m

No money my arse. An example of prudent (and not so prudent) spending:

Dunne and Collins - 8m
Toure and Lescott - 35m

Best defensive record in the Prem? That's right, Villa.

All the more fun is seeing the pundits having to do about turns after bizarrely tipping Liverpool to win it this year. Last year was their best chance in 20 years and they bottled it, they've weakened their first team considerably by losing Alonso, so why on earth would they win it this year?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here