Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool v Brighton & Hove Albion... F A Cup memory lane.....

Aug 15, 2003
Falkirk, Scotland
We went to the '83 game. Liverpool top of the league and Brighton bottom. Bob Paisley had already announced his retirement and they only thing he hadn't won was the FA Cup so Liverpool were entitled to win the cup that year. What hope did we have?

We drove, taking two cars. One of these was an old white 'Maxi' that we had painted blue on the bottom half. It was a Sunday as Everton played Spurs on the Saturday.

A great atmosphere, an unbelievable game. and we got a right kicking after the game but at least we gave some back in those crappy Scouser streets. They were trying to drive us off the motorway on the way to the M6. One of the best days of my life!!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
.... the '83 5th round game is my favourite Albion match of all time.

For me too. The 5th round of the FA Cup on 20th February 1983 his was the greatest game in the most incredible atmosphere I have ever seen.

Anfield was an incredible place in 1983, with the heaving Kop at the other end of the ground and the European Champions/title winners/Cup holders in full flow. My greatest moment of the game wasn't our goals, but Phil Neal missing the penalty. I always think if you miss a penalty you ain't going to win and it came true that day. Gives me goose pimples just thinking about it.

But my abiding memory was walking away from the ground afterwards towards our coach. It was the 80s remember and we couldn't hide the fact we were Albion fans, even with scarves well hidden away, because of the broad smiles and utter delight at the result on show for all to see.

This bunch of scousers crossed the road over towards us and we were up some side street surrounded by them. One after another they came up and shook our hands saying "bloody well done, hope you go all the way" Not a hint of trouble. Made me proud to be an Albion fan and I've always had a soft spoft for the red side of Stanley Park ever since.

I bought the BBC Sussex commentary on tape when they brought it out a week or two later, and have a good mind to dig it out and listen again now.

Absolutely fantastic day.

I loved the 2-2 game up there; Johnny Byrne and most memorably rubbing my eyes in disbelief as JC played the game of his life giving Barnes the runaround, but I can't imagine any game beating the game in 1983.

I simply can't wait for this one coming up

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
and we got a right kicking after the game but at least we gave some back in those crappy Scouser streets.

Oh FCUK! it seems like we chose the right street to walk up ! Sorry to hear

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
The win at Anfield in '83 was the most amazing backs to the wall performance I've seen. As for Jimmy Case's winner it screamed in before the Kop had stopped celebrating Johnson's equaliser.
Phil Neal's penalty miss capped it all off & the Albon fans went absolutely mental.
This. I went to the 84 goldstone tie and anfield 91 but the one that still gives me
Goosebumps is the 83 victory. Left Brighton 5.30 in the morning for a 2.30 kick off.
I was standing and it was rammed . When Ryan scored right in front of the kop. It went absolutely mental. Held on til the 70th minute then johnson equalised. Totally gutted ,thought we were done for. Liverpool fans were just beginning to get the voices (for the first time I might add) then wallop case let fly with a screamer . Unbelievable joy. Then neals' missed penalty. Celebrated like we had won the league. The ref Alf grey I think seemed to play loads of injury time. When the whistle went the Brighton fans went into celebration overdrive it was fantastic. Melia and the players lapped it up. The fa cup was thought of far more than it is today and we had just dumped the champions and the major force of Europe out of it all in their own back yard. My voice took a week to recover. Happy days indeed.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Here you are, everyone.

1982/83 R5
[video=vimeo;26924875]http://www.vimeo.com/26924875[/video]
46 minutes of coverage. Commentary by Tony Millard and Stephen Rooke

1983/84 R4
[video=vimeo;29213010]http://www.vimeo.com/29213010[/video]
Full first half. Commentary by Brian Moore
[video=vimeo;29504680]http://www.vimeo.com/29504680[/video]
Full second half. Commentary by Brian Moore

1990/91 FA Cup R4
[video=vimeo;29159505]http://www.vimeo.com/29159505[/video]
18 mins of highlights. No commentary.

1990/91 FA Cup R4 Replay
[video=vimeo;28882318]http://www.vimeo.com/28882318[/video]
30 mins of highlights. Commentary by Barry Davies.

For more vintage Albion footage, please visit my website at Seagulls TV - Relive the Glory Years of 1976-83

That's brilliant. I appear in the 1991 replay in the goal mouth in front of Bruce Grobbelar after JB had scored before chasing round behind the goal and jumping on his back. PC Beard and his gang wrestled me to the floor and got we well covered in that red dust stuff round the pitch. Happy days!

Jello Biafra

Aug 8, 2011
Later departure for me ms as I flew up to Speke, as was, from Gatwick and got to see the Anfield trophy cabinet (as Dad knew Peter Robinson, the Liverpool secretary, Stuart Hall popped his head round the door of his office whilst Dad was having a chin wag with him after the game).

This. I went to the 84 goldstone tie and anfield 91 but the one that still gives me
Goosebumps is the 83 victory. Left Brighton 5.30 in the morning for a 2.30 kick off.
I was standing and it was rammed . When Ryan scored right in front of the kop. It went absolutely mental. Held on til the 70th minute then johnson equalised. Totally gutted ,thought we were done for. Liverpool fans were just beginning to get the voices (for the first time I might add) then wallop case let fly with a screamer . Unbelievable joy. Then neals' missed penalty. Celebrated like we had won the league. The ref Alf grey I think seemed to play loads of injury time. When the whistle went the Brighton fans went into celebration overdrive it was fantastic. Melia and the players lapped it up. The fa cup was thought of far more than it is today and we had just dumped the champions and the major force of Europe out of it all in their own back yard. My voice took a week to recover. Happy days indeed.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I went up on a normal service. That evening we pulled alongside the special train on the way back somewhere round Crewe. We were allowed to drink, as I understand it yours was a dry train. I was one of those youngsters holding up a cider can and making :tosser: signs. Can I now take the opportunity to say sorry.......

I can assure you that although the train may have been designated dry, most of us were not, with jackets hiding certain bottles...............:whistle:

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
We went on the 'Seagull Special' from Hove station. Total alcohol ban on the train so we of course smuggled it on in fizzy drink bottles. Amazing match and we were second row behind the goal when Johnny Byrne and Mickey Small combined to make some total MAGIC!!!! Johnny Byrne's flying header was awesome and my brother and I went charging to the celebrating players only to have 'Scouse Old Bill' wrap a truncheon around my brothers neck.
So travelled back to Sussex on the Saturday night then due to work had to drive back to Manchester on the Monday then back to Sussex for the replay on the Tues or Weds then back to Manchester for the rest of the week then back to Sussex (because I hated being ooop North). What you do to follow the Albion.

Remember the 2 - 0 at the Goldstone the year after the Cup Final, two goals within a couple of minutes of each other (Ryan, Connor?) and the Liverpool forwards having a "can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo" sort of afternoon, helped by Corrigan playing a blinder in goal. Also was at the 1991 replay.

Sinoseagull

Aug 5, 2011
JC Football Genius

My abiding memory from the 2-2 at Anfield was going completely mental and randomly hugging anyone who was with reach when we equalised.

I went to both games in '91 with my Dad. I remember singing our hearts out behind the goal and the legendary Kop being disappointingly quiet. I had just started Teaching Practise, and lost my voice completely. For the replay, Dad came and picked me up from the school, got us to the Goldstone, and then drove me back later that night arriving in time for school the next morning, with a tell tale Football Genius shirt, and once again no voice to control the little 5 yr olds. Happy Happy Days!

RickofBHAFC

Jul 27, 2004
Yep same for me.
Football Genius' cross and JB's diving header, one of the best moments of my Albion life.

Mainly due to what happened next:-
A la Pasty, full mental leap around, then

Closing out the game while we ALL launched into a massive rendition of, You'll Never Walk Alone.

Fantastic day out . . . when Byrne scored that fantastic diving header I along with several other fans jumped the hoardings and raced towards the pitch, everyone got intercepted except me who actually got onto the pitch and managed to pat Football Genius on the back who was the nearest player I could get to before being grabbed by 2 burly scouse stewards and being thrown bodily back into the away end! Also went to the replay and also the home game in '84 when Ryan and Connor scored with that superb strike from outside the area, great memories . . .

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I went in 83 and 91, my memory of the 91 was missing both liverpools goals as I was getting my dad a cup of tea, there was a cheer and someone shouted that Brighton had won a penalty and people under the stand still queing all cheered, then shortly after came another cheer and we all thought Brighton had taken the lead with the pen, only to find out when I got back to my seat that we were in fact 2 nil down!!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
1983. Randon snapshot recall.
Sparrow's fart departure from Argus House in North Street in a coach.
Packed lunch finished by 6am.
Strong memoried of how run down Liverpool was.
Packed into the corner of the ground. Serious noise from us and the Kop.
Incredible atmosphere but couldn't tell you anything about the game other than Jimmy Case's goal.
Long drive home smiling all the way.
Inexplicably, scarf knitted by my mum about three feet longer than when we set off.
Never to be forgotten.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
A great atmosphere, an unbelievable game. and we got a right kicking after the game but at least we gave some back in those crappy Scouser streets. They were trying to drive us off the motorway on the way to the M6. One of the best days of my life!!

I didn't go to that one but my friend and his brother went on one of the coaches. After the game a rocket smashed through the coach window hitting my mates brother on the back and he ended up staying in Liverpool in hospital with a bruised kidney.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
can't believe that no -one has remember our glorious league cup (not fa cup - i realise) 4-0 stuffing there in 1985 (????).

I know, cos I was there. Walked from lime Street station to anfield through some of the scariest tower block developments. and only about 15,000 scosers turned up - well perhaps more but i remember it being VERY EMPTY

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
can't believe that no -one has remember our glorious league cup (not fa cup - i realise) 4-0 stuffing there in 1985 (????).

I know, cos I was there. Walked from lime Street station to anfield through some of the scariest tower block developments. and only about 15,000 scosers turned up - well perhaps more but i remember it being VERY EMPTY

Maybe because the thread is titled FA cup :lolol:

Just looked it up it was Oct 1985

My memory that game was every time our keeper had the ball he rolled it out and we tried to build from the back (much like we do now but much worse) rather than just kicking it forward, like normal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here