Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool team dilema

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We all, includeing Gus knows that three points against Leeds is more important than progress in the cup. That said a full house at the Amex and the real chance of another shock result against one of the big boys, in front of the cameras, you would think make Gus field a very strong side. Coupled with the fact the players themselves would almost certainly want to play in this one. Yes we all know its not down to the players, as they cant pick themselves, but the last thing we want is heads to drop and team morale to be affected. Not to mention the money that could be made by a victory. Supose we won and the drew another top side at the Amex, the money that would generate...All that taken into consideration what team do people expect to see take the field?..I fully expect to see a full strength side, if indeed we even know what that is atm?

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
We all, includeing Gus knows that three points against Leeds is more important than progress in the cup. That said a full house at the Amex and the real chance of another shock result against one of the big boys, in front of the cameras, you would think make Gus field a very strong side. Coupled with the fact the players themselves would almost certainly want to play in this one. Yes we all know its not down to the players, as they cant pick themselves, but the last thing we want is heads to drop and team morale to be affected. Not to mention the money that could be made by a victory. Supose we won and the drew another top side at the Amex, the money that would generate...All that taken into consideration what team do people expect to see take the field?..I fully expect to see a full strength side, if indeed we even know what that is atm?
I think Gus will field mainly ds players. As you mentioned at the start Kev, 3 points closer to the promised land is more important

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
For most managers, indeed a dilemma. For me, just a 'died in the wool' fan of 50 years, again a dilemma. For Gus, I doubt it's little more than 'compleecated'.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Still not convinced the cup is THAT much of a money-spinner for us now, as the break even crowd figure is in the region of 10,000 and half the receipts go to the opposition. Anyone know what the prize money is for the league cup?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Still not convinced the cup is THAT much of a money-spinner for us now, as the break even crowd figure is in the region of 10,000 and half the receipts go to the opposition. ...

Half the profits

Edit:19.1 The proceeds of each match after paying thereout the travelling expenses of the Visiting Club, the ground and other expenses of the match including Value Added Tax, floodlighting of the playing pitch and ancillary lighting (not to exceed £200), advertising, printing, postage, police charges, turnstile operators, stewards, contribution to first aid helpers and clearing the ground of snow, provided in the case of the last mentioned item the Visiting Club is notified in advance of the match in question of the approximate cost (such net proceeds being hereinafter referred to as 'the Net Cup Competition Gate') shall save as set out below be divided as follows:

45 per cent to each Club taking part in such match; and........

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I reckon that noone and navarro will be nailed on to start this game. Maybe buckley if fit by then.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Not sure Gus will go with Noone or Nav just for sentimentality, he will pick the team he thinks is right.

Defence is going to be the key area as that is where we have less squad depth. We can rotate the forwards and midfield quite easily but I'm not sure he will start Tarrico or Cook in either game

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
We will play our fringe players. I know Gus has a slightly changed attitude from last year about the cup competitions, but there is no way he will risk a full strength side with the two games that follow.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I would expect the normal back 5. (with the possible exception of Vincelot in for one of the back 4)

You can then perm any 6 from:

Bridcutt, Dicker, Sparrow, Navarro, Vicelot,
Harley, Vicente, Lua Lua, Noone, Buckley,
Barnes, Hoskins, CMS

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Unless there are bookings in the two games before the Liverpool game I can see the defence being unchanged. If there is anyone closing in on a suspension I could see Cook and/or Tanno being selected or there is still the possibility of an experienced defender on loan but I reckon that is less likely with el Abd coming back to training.

Midfield will surely see Vicente ready to play a part and Bridcutt as the holding player. I wouldn't be surprised to see Navarro play as a "spoiler" but more likely Sparrow for height with probably Harley which would leave Dicker, Noone and LuaLua on the bench.

I have a feeling we might see Buckley accompany CMS up front with Barnes to come on and again there is a very real prospect of a loan striker being on board by then.

I fully expect someone from the DS to be on the bench as a reward. Could be Simmonds who is in good form or maybe Toby again.

sixnilup

Jul 24, 2007
This is a great opportunity for the team to compete against a top 6 premiership club. I can only see positives with this tie. It goes to show how far the club has come under Poyet, that with the new stadium, that Albion are expected to not only compete against Liverpool but possibly go through.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Still not convinced the cup is THAT much of a money-spinner for us now, as the break even crowd figure is in the region of 10,000 and half the receipts go to the opposition. Anyone know what the prize money is for the league cup?

The break even figure was actually 12k but that was across the 23 League games and was to service our supposed bank debts, so no one really knows the true number anymore except the commercial team and Tony Bloom as we don't know the repayment plan. Also, any cup game would be money on top as wouldn't have been included in the equation, so once you pay staff costs and electricity it would be pure profit

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
I completely expect a not full strength side, but doesn't mean we won't be competitive.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
How far we have come when there's talk of playing some of our second string against Liverpool? Different in many ways I know, but we sure didn't do it when we were pushing for the top flight under Barry Lloyd and played Liverpool in the cup.

Great days :)

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I think Gus will throw caution to the wind with this one and just go for it.
There will be no disgrace in losing to Liverpool and who knows, being a bit gung-ho for this game just might produce a result.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Barnes is the only one of our midfielders + strikers to have played every minute of every game so far. We do have a fit squad and would expect bridcutt and cms to start all 3 of these games with the rest of the midfield rotating - there are lots of them and that will happen all season. The other strikes depends on hoskins fitness and if we get a loanee

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The break even figure was actually 12k but that was across the 23 League games and was to service our supposed bank debts, so no one really knows the true number anymore except the commercial team and Tony Bloom as we don't know the repayment plan.
Thanks, didn't know that.

Barnes is the only one of our midfielders + strikers to have played every minute of every game so far. We do have a fit squad and would expect bridcutt and cms to start all 3 of these games with the rest of the midfield rotating - there are lots of them and that will happen all season. The other strikes depends on hoskins fitness and if we get a loanee

Not sure CMS can play all three; he looked very tired against Peterborough, but maybe just because it was Peterborough?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here