Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool Takeover Deal

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Reds agree takeover deal
By Peter ORourke - Created on 6 Feb 2007

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx...id=14&lid=4161&title=Reds+agree+takeover+deal

Liverpool have confirmed they have accepted a takeover offer from American duo George Gillett Jnr and Tom Hicks.

Your view on the Liverpool takeover

The American pair flew into Liverpool on Tuesday to tie up the final details of the takeover deal.

The deal is reported to be worth £470m with the American duo splitting the cost between them paying about £175m for the shares in the club, £80m to cover the debt and a further £215m towards a new stadium.

Liverpool's board have now made an announcement to the Stock Exchange of the offer and they have recommended for the club's shareholders to accept the deal.

Reds chairman David Moores welcomed the deal and revealed he will be staying on at the club as Honorary Life President.

"I believe this is a great step forward for Liverpool, its shareholders and its fans. This club is my passion and forms a huge part of my life.

"After much careful consideration, I have agreed to sell my shares to assist in securing the investment needed for the new stadium and for the playing squad.

"I urge all my fellow shareholders to do the same and to support the offer. By doing so, I believe you will be backing the successful future of Liverpool Football Club.

"I am also delighted to accept the offer from the Hicks and Gillett families to continue my involvement in the Club by becoming Honorary Life President."

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry believes the deal signals a new era at the English titans.

"This is great for Liverpool, our supporters and the shareholders - it is the beginning of a new era for the club," said Parry.

"The partnership created by George and Tom is very special. They are bringing to the table tremendous and relevant experience, a passion for sport, real resources and a strong commitment to the traditions of Liverpool.

"Their approach represents exactly the sort of genuine partnership that Liverpool has been seeking over recent times.

"We know that George and Tom want a long-term relationship with Liverpool and that they also understand the importance of investing in our success both on and off the field.

"They have made clear their intention to move as quickly as practicable on the financing and construction of our proposed new stadium at Stanley Park and also to support investment in the playing squad.

"This has been an important time for the club. We now have the right partners for the future. I am absolutely certain we have now ended up in the right place, with owners who will help the club succeed and prosper."

Gillett and Hicks expressed their delight at gaining control at Anfield saying: "Liverpool is a fantastic club with a remarkable history and a passionate fanbase.

"We fully acknowledge and appreciate the unique heritage and rich history of Liverpool and intend to respect this heritage in the future.

"The Hicks family and the Gillett family are extremely excited about continuing the club's legacy and tradition.

"We are particularly pleased that David Moores and Rick Parry will have a continuing involvement in the club. For us continuity and stability are keys to the future."

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there
Now lets hope they can mount a serious title challenge & stop Chelski & Manure winning it. Their teams of the sixties, seventies & eighties were prob some of the best sides this country has seen.

Domsdad

brother of Patch
Sep 24, 2003
Its grim up north
Liverpool winning it would only be marginally better than Man U winning it.

I've been unlucky enough to have lived in Scouseland all through the 1980s and then Manccy Mancunia from 1995 onwards, so I've had enough of bragging north west types of both varieties.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Will they have those tiny little goals,and will the keeper wear shinpads and a mask?

I suppose there will be a club policy to wear blades rather than studs.

Oooh,and a name change?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
liverpoolstealerspn3.gif

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
The Super Liverpool Reds Roster

Scouts have prepared a guide to the Liverpool Reds' squad - including Craig Bellamy, who has 'switched franchises several times in career amid rumors of all-star level jackassery'. It's all here...

Jose (Pepé) Reina

Netminder with an impressive 19 shutouts this regular season. Save average of .854 in last five outs. Replaces New Jerzy Dudek as first-choice goaltender after veteran's series of high-profile handling errors. Nicknamed after Pepé Le Pew, the cheese-eating surrender skunk.

James 'The Minister Of Defense' Carragher

Captain of defense and native 'Scouser'. 2963 minutes of field time with powerplay change-up stats of 5-6-3. Awesome displays in penalty zone versus aerial offense plays. Awesome displays at club Christmas parties. Distribution ranked only 245th in EPL. Note: communication may be difficult as James does not speak English.

Steve O'Finnan

Defensive cornerback/outside linebacker ranked six in division for forward offense running plays. Highly-rated change-up, groundspeed. 245 defensive tackle ratio. Proud Irishman: merchandising opportunities with millions of east coast Americans who are 1/64 from Cork. Vital cornerman, new shorts.

Sam Hyypia

Veteran centerblocker famed for aerial rebound ability, composureability, although lacks change-up, questions over groundplay v forwards with nimbleness quotient. Radical air with headbombs from special plays ensures a conversions per season tally average of six. Hails from Finlandland, a country in Europe that is part of the 'Axis Of Pleasantness'.

John-Arnold Riise

Cornerman who regularly features in goalshot of the month sweeps with a left peg rated in top five nationwide for sweetness. Rookie, sophomore seasons raised expectations of possible Hall of Famer status but recent semesters have seen the person of redly-challenged hair demoted to bullpen on occasion. 7-6-8.

Gerrard Steven

Team MVP, captain and midfielderman famed for power running, pass accuracy, assists. Has dressed as center, right wingerbacker (offensive and defensive) and even as secondary power forward. Can rush goal or sit back in the pocket. Career high came in Pro-Ball showdown against the Milan Tumblers in Istanbul (believed site of WMD).

Craig Bellamy

Controversial wide receiver/goal forward rated division's third most likely player to face red card takedown in grudge slams. Lightning fast in joggy work down winglines, although critics question net targeting infield. Has switched franchises several times in career amid rumors of all-star level jackassery.

Robert Bernard Fowler

Veteran strike attacker and all-time Liverpool Reds Hall of Famer. Once considered league MVP for shotzone rebounds and accuracy in the paint. Famously flagged on field for displaying his tight end to opponent Graeme Le Saux, and for calling into question The War On Drugs.

Xavi Alonso (ITA)

6-5-7, 12, 468, 0.43, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 98632548, 1, 1, 0 (?), 0, 1. 0.3.

Jermaine Pennant

Wide receiver/running forward has rushed for over 1,000 yards in Liverpool Reds rookie season. Crossfields delivery success rate well into point-seven-ohs, play action, sprinty, jigglebomb, DUI. 6.662. Off-field activities saw him given bum's rush from Steve Bruskowski's Birmingham Brums. Only soccerplayer on roster with a sensible sportsman's name.

Peter Crouch Jr

Power forward who could have potential if consortium moves into NBA. Noted for headbomb assists, ganglyhole, salmon leap, robotics. 0.673, runners batted in, three points. Traded several times early in career but has flourished under head coach Benitez at the Anfield Taco Bellodrome.

Alan B Tyers III Junior

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here