Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool city of culture..

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You don't understand-on here anything to do with Liverpool has to be negative and derogatory...apparently, it's the only city in the UK with problems. I'm shocked that someone living so near wasn't aware of that. Meanwhile, down in Brighton (culturally THE best place on the planet) the drug problem has completely disappeared, crime is a thing of the past and nobody has ever been murdered there.

Spot on! How on earth were we overlooked? :D

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Anything to do with Liverpool as a football club (or Everton to very slightly lesser extent) can be as negative or as deratory as anyone likes. I cannot have a problem with that (1983,1984)

However Liverpool as the city is now not the same as the stereotype (although some of the estates are admittedly vile - the area where Rhys Jones came from is a perfectly respectable middle class area which unfortunately happens to be near to an estate which you wouldn't want a Palace fan to have to live on. Some of the locals/gangsters/drug dealers are also total scumbags but you could say the same about anywhere in the country these days.)
However regardless of that the award of capital of culture sparked a major renewal/regeneration of the city, the like of which you would not believe unless you were part of it and saw it. For example for those of a certain age, compare the image of the Albert Docks in Boys From the Black Stuff with the current reality
http://www.albertdock.com/
Also the complete rebuilding of the city shopping centre
http://www.liverpoolpsda.co.uk/Contacts/grosvenor.htm
http://www.grosvenor.com/Portfolio/Liverpool+One.htm
It is definitely worth a weekend away.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Cheshire,look i don't disagree in alot of what you post. Many city,s and large towns are the same. BUT (and is was taught never to start a sentance with the word but ) What kind of folk hide a gun killer ? of a kid ?:bigwave:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Cheshire,look i don't disagree in alot of what you post. Many city,s and large towns are the same. BUT (and is was taught never to start a sentance with the word but ) What kind of folk hide a gun killer ? of a kid ?:bigwave:
I resent the insinuation.
You cannot tar everyone in a place with the same brush. I accept the issue with some scum in Liverpool and gun crime but that does NOT repeat NOT
mean that everyone there is the same. One gang of approximately 10 or 20 brats aged under 20 is NOT representative of a city of over 300,000 people.

You might as well accept the taunts regarding a certain south coast city and the sexual orientation of all its inhabitants and supporters that are yelled at us every week by opposing fans.

We can all play "I come/live in a nicer place than you do" but frankly it is a tedious and unrewarding pastime. There are people everywhere who you would not want to associate with, be it Liverpool, Manchester, London, wherever - even (godhelpus) Leek.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Same folk as the ones who are probably covering up the killers of the kid down the end of my road in London.

Whilst cities like Manchester and Leeds have experienced regeneration, for some reason Liverpool has been left behind.

I spend more time in Liverpool than 99% of the people on here and read with embarresment the ignorant comments made on here about the city and it's people.

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
And sucks boo to all your negativity and the nay-sayers.......

Gordon Brown's message to Liverpool on Culture night
Jan 11 2008 By Gordon Brown, prime minister

AM delighted to offer my congratulations and best wishes to the city of Liverpool at the start of your year as European Capital of Culture.

The quality and diversity of culture in Britain is truly world class, and this fantastic programme, drawing on culture from all around the world, provides the perfect opportunity to showcase the contribution that Liverpool makes to our world-class reputation.

There is music – the Beatles, of course, but so many other great singers, bands and performers before and since.

There is football – Liverpool and Everton, two clubs with extraordinary tradition and success to their name.

There are the great buildings and the atmosphere – this is the most filmed city in the UK, apart from London.

And this is the place where people visit museums and galleries more often than anywhere else in the UK.

People are going to come from across Britain and Europe and further afield – and from right across the city.

And I know that the people of Liverpool are going to provide an enthusiastic audience and very warm welcome to visitors.

So I wish Liverpool every success with Capital of Culture year in 2008, and beyond, and I look forward to the celebrations.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk...to-liverpool-on-culture-night-64375-20337979/

50,000 flock to Liverpool for Capital of Culture launch
Jan 11 2008 By Mark Johnson

Capital of culture opening

European Capital of Culture status returned to UK shores with a spectacular display of fireworks, acrobats and music tonight in Liverpool city centre.

Former Beatle Ringo Starr led the celebrations in his home city- crowned European Capital of Culture 2008 - before a crowd estimated at around 50,000.

As part of a show lasting 40 minutes, Starr performed his new single Liverpool 8 from the top of the city’s landmark the neo-classical St George’s Hall.

He was joined by “the stars of Liverpool” who arrived on stage in a shipping container, symbolising Liverpool’s port heritage, lifted by a construction crane, an emblem of the recent regeneration of the city.

Among those Liverpool-born celebrities taking part were comedian Ken Dodd, The Royale Family’s Sue Johnston and Geoffrey Hughes, from Coronation Street and Keeping Up Appearances whose arrival was accompanied by music from the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra.

The show heralds the start of 12 months of music, art and cultural events expected to boost tourism and generate around £100m for the North West regional economy.

Tonight's events will by followed tomorrow by The Musical, at the 10,600 capacity Echo Arena.

The 700-strong cast will include Dave Stewart, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Farm, Riuven, The Wombats and Pete Wylie as well as 100 schoolchildren.

Three hundred and fifty other events have also been planned to coincide with the title this year, including the RHS Flower Show at Tatton Park, the 9th FINA World Swimming Championships and the UCI Track Cycling Championships.

Liverpool follows cities including Graz, Dublin, Genoa and Lille as the holder of the prestigious title, previously known as the European City of Culture.

Around 1.7 million extra tourists are expected to flock to Merseyside over the next year, spending around £50 million, Liverpool Culture Company said.

In a message to the city, Prime Minister Gordon Brown said: “My personal hopes for this year are, first, that the people of Liverpool and the North West continue to benefit from being Capital of Culture, following the substantial investment in regeneration that has been made over the past few years.

“Second, that Liverpool in 2008 inspires more people from all walks of life to try out new and different cultural activities - things they might not have been interested in before.

“Finally, that the Liverpool cultural institutions that have made this programme possible will continue to thrive as part of the legacy of the year.”

Speaking to the media before the ceremony, Starr said although Liverpool was always rich for the arts, it needed the Capital of Culture title.

He said: “I think it brings it to the attention of the whole world.

“They didn’t have the Tate Modern when I was here. It’s built up over many years and it is all happening now.”

Saying that Scousers retained their unique sense of humour and the city its atmosphere, he said parts of Liverpool were largely unrecognisable to him now.

Commenting about a trip he enjoyed this afternoon to his old school in the Liverpool suburb of Dingle, he said: “If the driver had dropped me off I would never have found my way home. But in my soul I am from Liverpool.”

He added: “I had a great childhood, had great mates and grew up here. But it was damp, and I had TB. I always feel connected to the city.”

Asked if he was likely to reform with Sir Paul McCartney and the Beatle children, the 67-year-old said: “There is no chance of seeing us getting back together with any of our children, there is no chance of us getting back together.

“It’s very difficult now because two of us have gone - and that we will never get back together.”

But the ex-mop top drummer did not rule out the chances of Sir Paul and him hooking up for future work.

He said: “As players there is no reason why we can’t get back together but don’t get excited about the summer (when McCartney plays in Liverpool), he is on his own.”

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk...for-capital-of-culture-launch-64375-20341738/

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
What's the difference between Batman and a Scouser?

Ans. Batman can go out without Robin

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Same folk as the ones who are probably covering up the killers of the kid down the end of my road in London.

Whilst cities like Manchester and Leeds have experienced regeneration, for some reason Liverpool has been left behind.

I spend more time in Liverpool than 99% of the people on here and read with embarresment the ignorant comments made on here about the city and it's people.

...the ignorance is staggering sometimes.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Excellent points made by Nemesis and Cheshire Cat.

Wasn't Cilla Black from scouse-land too. They've got to have her there on a rooftop. Maybe Ringo could push her off.

Prescilla White, 'hat girl' at The Cavern. She apparently got up at a Beatles sound-check and warbled a tune with them and they liked her. Brian Epstein was uncertain, and passed her by after listening to her first audition (The Beatles played 'Summertime', but in the wrong key for her voice). He watched her again in another performance though, and changed his mind.
So when they had a good song written for her, it became her debut single; 'Love Of The Loved'. Her follow-up, written by Bacharach/David - "Anyone Who Had A Heart" - remains as the top selling British single of all time by a female artist!

Her 'chirpy Scouse character' made her an endearing and enduring television personality.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here