Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool - Capital of Culture

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Police probe player abuse claims

The behaviour of both teams' supporters has raised concerns
Police are to speak to Liverpool and Everton football clubs about allegations that players were abused during the city's derby game.

Officers will probe claims that Everton captain Phil Neville was spat at and punched as he took a throw-in.

Police will also look at reports that other fans chanted comments about the daughter of Liverpool captain and England international Steven Gerrard.

Liverpool beat Everton 1-0 in the match at Anfield on Sunday.

Television cameras appeared to capture Neville being abused by several fans in the second half of the game.

Gerrard also faced an apparent torrent of abuse as he walked to take a corner in front of Everton fans in the second half.

We want to make sure that doesn't happen again at the Merseyside derby or any other game

Ian Ross, Everton spokesman

A spokesman for Merseyside Police said: "Police will be speaking to the clubs involved today."

Dave Lewis, the force's football liaison officer, who travels abroad with the teams when they play in Europe, will conduct the discussions.

A spokesman for Liverpool FC was not immediately available for comment.

Prevent contact

Everton spokesman Ian Ross said: "We felt it necessary to try to involve the safety officers and police because we cannot have a situation where supporters are having physical contact with professional footballers during the game.

"We want to make sure that doesn't happen again at the Merseyside derby or any other game."

He added that the club would never condone the singling out of individual players for vitriolic insults.

He also said that Joleon Lescott had been subjected to an afternoon-long barrage of "quite disgusting and quite audible abuse" and that Phil Neville was spat at several times and punched in the back by a supporter.

The match - traditionally one of Europe's most passionate derbies - had been billed as vital in both clubs' race for the Premiership's fourth place.

Sub-human scum, ruining one of the greatest fixtures on the calendar.

:nono:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Surely none of that can be true can it? I always thought the Liverpool Everton derby was one massive great love-in. Supporters mingling together, the famous scouse humour to the fore and all share a pint in the same pub after the match.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
To be fair there is a lot of mythology about the Merseyside derby. You here pundits trotting out all this garbage about how they all love each other and go to the match together and sit next to one another. It's all bollocks.

In my experience there's real venom in the encounters, and a lot of older Everton fans are still very bitter that their best team never got to play in the European Cup because Liverpool got everyone banned after Heysel.

So no different to the torrents of abuse hurled at Gerrard and Carragher at Old Trafford then? Only difference is that it didn't make the papers.

There's sub-human scum at every football club/ground in the country, sadly, and it's not confined to Merseyside-as much as many on here would like us to believe that it is.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I was in the pub hurling abuse at Gerrard and Carragher through the tele, but I don't think they could hear me. Is that Ok or am I sub human scum?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Isn't it the Liverpool players who are always getting robbed on matchdays? How they must dread those derbies.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
What were they singing about Gerrard's daughter?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
In my experience there's real venom in the encounters, and a lot of older Everton fans are still very bitter that their best team never got to play in the European Cup because Liverpool got everyone banned after Heysel.

Yes agreed. Its not this "love in" that the media pants. I spose it stems from the fact that yes some families are red and some blue and have obviously interwoven but...

I was at the cup final of 89 Liverpool v Everton and by god did the Everton fans hate Liverpool. I was a neutral in the Everton end and let me tell you they depise Liverpool.

And yes it does all stem from that. Indeed many Everton fans called them "murderers" because of Heysel not Hillsboro (they were very respectful of that incident)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ruining one of the greatest fixtures on the calendar.

eh? this the same fixture known for 90 minutes of kicking and needling each other with sporadic outbreaks of football?

WestStandLad

Jan 28, 2004
Sussex
And yes it does all stem from that. Indeed many Everton fans called them "murderers" because of Heysel not Hillsboro (they were very respectful of that incident)

Well a lot of them certainly aren't anymore. They copy the Man Utd supporters by pretending to suffocate and squashing their faces up against their hands to signify being crushed to death. Their Michael Shields songs are pretty vile as well.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Every time I see Neville I want to smack him as well.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
"shagging pancake" ?

???
I'm entirely relieved I'm not the only one. I was panicking that I was even more out of touch than I thought. I assume "pancake" is a rapper or something.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What a load of old crepe.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Every time I see Neville I want to smack him as well.

exactly :angry:

i find this story strange that it should make the front of one of the papers today considering this happens nigh on every week at some ground somewhere

or is it just because its the capital of culture?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here