Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A big reason for Man Utd's success on the pitch was Alex Ferguson rather than a lack of funds in the squad Imo

Very true and they're still trying to find an replacement which is an impossible task. What makes me laugh is all the support being voiced for Ole when only last year pretty much every Utd fan on 606 (small sample I know) was calling for him to go!!!

Getting back to what the Glazers have done for Utd, when are they never in the hunt for expensive players? It's not like they've been starved of transfer funds.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So you think Newcaste fans don't want Ashley gone 'enough'? Or they are too stupid to realise that if the copy the Manu U fans yesterday Ashley will be gone, just like the Glazers are now gone? Oh...hang on.

Well, you may be right and more of this may well force the Glazers (and Ashley out). We shall see. Or, let's rephrase ithis, we won't see because it won't happen.

I don't think I like this new HWT.

One, just one, in a very long series of options open to them would be having high profile game(s) postponed and have it resonate around the world - There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Mounting a considered and consistent series of passive resistance will bring about change.

The Utd fans are dealing with a family led by an elderly, white, American billionaire.
These people have:-

Never lost
Never been stood up too.
Never been demeaned.
Never put in a difficult situation.
Never had money taken from them.

They are, and have always been, the very definition of American 'winning'.

Hit them in their pocket and they'll be gone.
Hit the Premier League brand and they'll be gone.

Big Nige, Trev, Baz, Tarquin, Tel, Terry, T-Man, Bob, et al have no idea the power they hold.

A single match cancelled in isolation is pretty meaningless.
Had it been the latest in a long line of other protests, bring it on.

If it's the start of a long line of other protests, bring it on.

If it's just a Big Nige protest because he's angry at being couped up in doors for a year, while watching City win the title then it has no validity.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
So man utd will consider banning those that caused criminal damage, but not those that entered the ground.

Compare that to getting banned for an ill advised and unfunny tweet about Leicester.

If similar had occured at Brighton some folk in positions of power would likely be pushing for the death penalty.

What did happen to that thread about the guy banned for his Leicester based tweet?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
So man utd will consider banning those that caused criminal damage, but not those that entered the ground.

Compare that to getting banned for an ill advised and unfunny tweet about Leicester.

If similar had occured at Brighton some folk in positions of power would likely be pushing for the death penalty.

What did happen to that thread about the guy banned for his Leicester based tweet?

I reckon there will be sanctions against Man U. Should be forced to play their next three fixtures behind closed doors.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Bans would’ve been handed out like confetti if fans had entered The Amex to protest.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Whataboutery never leads anywhere.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I don't think I like this new HWT.

One, just one, in a very long series of options open to them would be having high profile game(s) postponed and have it resonate around the world - There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Mounting a considered and consistent series of passive resistance will bring about change.

The Utd fans are dealing with a family led by an elderly, white, American billionaire.
These people have:-

Never lost
Never been stood up too.
Never been demeaned.
Never put in a difficult situation.
Never had money taken from them.

They are, and have always been, the very definition of American 'winning'.

Hit them in their pocket and they'll be gone.
Hit the Premier League brand and they'll be gone.

Big Nige, Trev, Baz, Tarquin, Tel, Terry, T-Man, Bob, et al have no idea the power they hold.

A single match cancelled in isolation is pretty meaningless.
Had it been the latest in a long line of other protests, bring it on.

If it's the start of a long line of other protests, bring it on.

If it's just a Big Nige protest because he's angry at being couped up in doors for a year, while watching City win the title then it has no validity.

In Newcastle's case, the main objection to the owner is that the fans think he lacks ambition and interest, and doesn't spend enough on the team (it's debatable whether that latter point is true, or if he just spends the money on crap).

From that perspective, it would be counterproductive to kick him out on his backside because it's unlikely that anybody who can't afford his asking price is going to be able to invest the money the Newcastle fans want. It would also make the club less attractive to investors because there would be a fear that if things went wrong the fans would do the same thing again.

Whether they don't force postponements because they realise this, or they're just not bothered, is obviously questionable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In Newcastle's case, the main objection to the owner is that the fans think he lacks ambition and interest, and doesn't spend enough on the team (it's debatable whether that latter point is true, or if he just spends the money on crap).

From that perspective, it would be counterproductive to kick him out on his backside because it's unlikely that anybody who can't afford his asking price is going to be able to invest the money the Newcastle fans want. It would also make the club less attractive to investors because there would be a fear that if things went wrong the fans would do the same thing again.

Whether they don't force postponements because they realise this, or they're just not bothered, is obviously questionable.

I know nothing of Mike Ashley except the one simple truth - he is driven by money.

Having a campaign against him that solely consists of:-

starting the march at the Newcastle branch of Sports Direct - while wearing So Cal trackie bottoms.
Arriving at St James Park 15 mins before kick off.
Having a quick chant.
Then buying a programme and heading into the game.

Isn't on any level ever going to change the ownership.
If anything showing Ashley how much money you're prepared to give him, while despising him makes the whole situation worse.

An actual boycott of home games, physically taking money out of his pocket, and he'd have been gone inside 7 months.

That has to be better than 10+ years of whining, crying and faux outrage on every bloody football phone in, podcast and messageboard.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I know nothing of Mike Ashley except the one simple truth - he is driven by money.

starting the march at the Newcastle branch of Sports Direct - while wearing So Cal trackie bottoms.
Having a quick chant.

If anything showing Ashley how much money you're prepared to give him, while despising him makes the whole situation worse.

An actual boycott of home games, physically taking money out of his pocket, and he'd have been gone inside 7 months.

That has to be better than 10+ years of whining, crying and faux outrage on every bloody football phone in, podcast and messageboard.

I totally agree with this. I have a mate who's a Geordie who lives in Marbella, he's a great lad, but if I mention any of the actions the Albion fans took to oust bad owners, he glazes over - and then he goes on to telling me how much everyone hates Ashley etc etc etc but how he can't wait to get back into St James' Park. He and the majority of Newcastle fans want to have their cake and eat it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

If I understand correctly then you are suggesting that the BHA tweeter should have his ban rescinded because some northern club aren’t banning fans for a ground invasion ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I totally agree with this. I have a mate who's a Geordie who lives in Marbella, he's a great lad, but if I mention any of the actions the Albion fans took to oust bad owners, he glazes over - and then he goes on to telling me how much everyone hates Ashley etc etc etc but how he can't wait to get back into St James' Park. He and the majority of Newcastle fans want to have their cake and eat it.

That's the thing to listen to them moaning, something we constantly have to do, we're led to believe wanting Ashley out has 100% support across the entire fanbase - yet he's still there.

The man owns half the High Street - 'Take Back Tuesday' would gum up his whole operation and show a loss for the day, as his stores nationwide are full of people returning their unopened packet of Donnay socks.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Having a quick chant.

Absolutely agree. They need to take a page out of Blackpool's book. A large portion of them boycotted home games for the best part of four years. FOUR YEARS!

That is dedication.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here