Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I understand UAFA already have plans to expand Champions League which is not needed. Had some meaning when just champions entered then expanded to top 2 then top 4. All this has meant is so many meaningless games in early rounds.. As I said before it needs supporters of these big clubs to arrange protest about what there clubs want to do.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
that is their intention isnt it? the Super League being an alternative to the current Champions League.

Mmmmm....it may be the long game....ditch the CL and carry on with the EPL. But that isn't the stated aim. And the pirates can't 'halt' the CL, can they?

No I think the plan is a complete break :shrug:

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I think the big 6 breaking away has been inevitable for some time. The timing of this however in the middle of a pandemic when fans have been unable to attend matches for a year, is horrible and just simple shouts ‘GREED’ from the roof tops!

The pandemic probably expedited it if anything by proving that they could play the games in front of empty stadiums to a global audience without a drop off in viewing figures/revenue. Could have been an unknown re the impact of a fan boycott etc before the pandemic but maybe this has shown that it wouldn't be a problem.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
and if they do go, they should be banned from ever returning to their domestic leagues. once out, stay out even if that led to a demise

In an ideal world I would agree.

Reality says that to have those clubs back into our domestic league would be a positive, so........how about they come back into a tier 2 domestic league? The big club has to work to get beck to tier 1, and by the time half their players have either left or been off loaded this may not be a given, tier 2 clubs get a cash boost and it serves as a disincentive for others to follow.

Just a thought.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Are they still announcing it tonight or have all the threats from the domestic and national game made them bottle it ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No statement.

I think they took a look at the list and saw Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal on it.

They need to take 'Super' off the headed paper.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Sadly, most of the world doesn’t actually care. Vast broadcasting deals are made profitable by the Asian market which cares more about gambling than it does the history of our football in our country. If these clubs do eventually breakaway we should instead offer to drive them to Barcelona and Madrid. Good riddance. Football will survive.

Exactly this, IMO.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In an ideal world I would agree.

Reality says that to have those clubs back into our domestic league would be a positive, so........how about they come back into a tier 2 domestic league? The big club has to work to get beck to tier 1, and by the time half their players have either left or been off loaded this may not be a given, tier 2 clubs get a cash boost and it serves as a disincentive for others to follow.

Just a thought.
Noooo ........ you can't do that to Arsenal! That would mean they have to win promotion to get into the top league again, something they've never achieved in their entire history! Think of the children!

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
All this talk of sanctions and banning players from world cups etc reminds me of the early days of one day cricket. The sanctions didn't stop it then and wont now. The only way this can be stopped is via the fans making it so toxic that no one wants their brands associated with it, either via sponsorship or tv advertising.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This is just a bargaining ploy of the big european club designed to further shift the odds in their favour.

And it will work. I have no faith in EUFA, FIFA, the FA or the Premier League (kind of ironic) doing anything other than facilitating the pull down of pants so the other 86 can get royally shafted.

They are already setting out their stall with comments about not letting them go. If they represented their members effectively they should be saying 'on your bike'. Negotiate you plums.

They have let this happen and they will let the next round of shafting happen too.

Bollix.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I understand UAFA already have plans to expand Champions League which is not needed. Had some meaning when just champions entered then expanded to top 2 then top 4. All this has meant is so many meaningless games in early rounds.. As I said before it needs supporters of these big clubs to arrange protest about what there clubs want to do.

More groups, including the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham, Dortmund, Monchengladbach, Napoli.

No one watches the rounds before that, other than Celtic fans who go through their annual angst,

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
If this pandemic has shown football one thing then it is that the cliche of ‘the pro game is nothing without fans’ is actually true.
Football in empty stadiums is unsustainable, it will die.
The fans I know of ‘big 6’ clubs who actually go to games will be horrified and embarrassed by this, the problem is that all the hundreds of thousands of absolute dickheads who ‘support’ ManU etc from their armchair won’t give a shit. However if the local match going Utd, Liverpool fans boycott their clubs and stop going then that would have an effect on the ‘product’, especially if the remaining EPL clubs were still filling stadiums.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
**** them. Let them leave. Spurs/Chelsea/Arsenal fans I know have said they'd just stop supporting their team if this happened and they were no longer in the Premier League. What would be the point of supporting one of these teams if they weren't competing in domestic competitions and totally detached to the rest of football in this country.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I’d love this. Restart our game from the ground up, more fans supporting local teams and let football find its soul again.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here