Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
JW Henry’s (video) apology was pretty contrite to be fair - basically admitting he royally ****ed up.

Bollocks was he contrite !

He royally f****d up and now the snivelling toad is only interested appeasing those supporters he pissed on , so he doesn't lose even more money.

Utter scumbag.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It won't be Spurs who get cold feet - they have massive debt and struggle to qualify for the CL so they see the ESL as guaranteed gravy train.

Far more likely to be City or Chelsea who don't need the money and tend to qualify for the CL most seasons anyway.

Let's hope one of them changes their minds - because if one goes the whole house of cards comes tumbling down..

As predicted, and hoped for.

Whatever you think of the owners of Chelsea and CIty, they really don't need the money - they didn't want to be left behind.

This was always about the Americans and Madrid.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
JW Henry’s (video) apology was pretty contrite to be fair - basically admitting he royally ****ed up.

Reminded me of a scene from the tv show Succession. Don't believe a word of it.

Do we think he would decline the opportunity to do it all again, if he was gauranteed to get away with it. Of course he would.

We need proper legal commitments from these owners, assurances that they will never again attempt to push something through without premier league approval.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

He royally f****d up and now the snivelling toad is only interested appeasing those supporters he pissed on , so he doesn't lose even more money.

Utter scumbag.

Yep - This was all planned wasn't it?? Pressure UEFA in to the CL changes and then appear contrite when they all, coincidentally, withdraw from the ESL within house of each other....

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
I'm hearing from someone, but not confirmed yet; but Real Madrid, Barcelona and the English 6 might face some hefty break clauses from JP Morgan from this.

If that's the case, JP Morgan leeched as much cash from this as possible - typical bank. However, the breakaway clubs will financially pay for it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If that man (or anyone like him) ran our club then I wouldn’t have anything to do with it

My 77 year old lifelong Liverpool supporting pal said to me yesterday that he'd stop following his side if Liverpool didn't pull out of this cluster**** quickly, with a contrite apology from Henry. I will see him later today to see what he (and his adult kids, two of whom are also massive supporters) thinks. I don't really think it's the call of Brighton fans to decide whether Henry is sincere or whatever (especially those on NSC who happen to loath the 'bin dippers', as many do). He and his wife have been very popular among Liverpool fans for many years, and the missus in particular does a lot in the community.

I must say, in the picture, with the flowers and that strange jacket, Henry looks like he's at a funeral for a horse.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
From BBC

We're proposing a new European competition - ESL
While the European Super League may not come to fruition, the organisation still feels that the Champions League should no longer be Europe's top club competition. This statement has been released on behalf of the ESL today: “The European Super League is convinced that the current status quo of European football needs to change.

“We are proposing a new European competition because the existing system does not work. Our proposal is aimed at allowing the sport to evolve while generating resources and stability for the full football pyramid, including helping to overcome the financial difficulties experienced by the entire football community as a result of the pandemic. It would also provide materially enhanced solidarity payments to all football stakeholders.

“Despite the announced departure of the English clubs, forced to take such decisions due to the pressure put on them, we are convinced our proposal is fully aligned with European law and regulations as was demonstrated today by a court decision to protect the Super League from third party actions.”

Incredible. They still haven't learned

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Utter scumbag.

Will be interesting what the Liverpool fans think.......but as far as I know he’s the only owner so far that’s even dared to show his face.......

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
From BBC

While the European Super League may not come to fruition, the organisation still feels that the Champions League should no longer be Europe's top club competition. This statement has been released on behalf of the ESL today: “The European Super League is convinced that the current status quo of European football needs to change.

“We are proposing a new European competition because the existing system does not work. Our proposal is aimed at allowing the sport to evolve while generating resources and stability for the full football pyramid, including helping to overcome the financial difficulties experienced by the entire football community as a result of the pandemic. It would also provide materially enhanced solidarity payments to all football stakeholders.

“Despite the announced departure of the English clubs, forced to take such decisions due to the pressure put on them, we are convinced our proposal is fully aligned with European law and regulations as was demonstrated today by a court decision to protect the Super League from third party actions.”

And this is why punishment is so necessary.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The timing of this ESL and the subsequent backtracking is vile beyond belief.

I genuinely felt sorry for Klopp having to basically front this disgraceful money grabbing act by being hung out to dry by his employer and almost being made the anti-christ when he was not even consulted.

This is been brewing for several years so how these organisers of the ESL could get this so spectacularly wrong beggars belief.

The fall out will go on for quite a while however as others have stated once the dust settles nothing will really change.

Change will only come when greed is removed, the horse has already bolted concerning this, unless these clubs stop becoming vastly rich peoples play things then nothing will ever change.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
My 77 year old lifelong Liverpool supporting pal said to me yesterday that he'd stop following his side if Liverpool didn't pull out of this cluster**** quickly, with a contrite apology from Henry. I will see him later today to see what he (and his adult kids, two of whom are also massive supporters) thinks. I don't really think it's the call of Brighton fans to decide whether Henry is sincere or whatever (especially those on NSC who happen to loath the 'bin dippers', as many do). He and his wife have been very popular among Liverpool fans for many years, and the missus in particular does a lot in the community.

I must say, in the picture, with the flowers and that strange jacket, Henry looks like he's at a funeral for a horse.

I don’t dislike the bin dippers. I live in amongst them, although there do seem to be more Everton than Liverpool supporters. The trouble is the owners have shown their true colours. Good works in the community are fantastic but one would kind of expect from them an understanding of the culture they have bought in to. I’m afraid they have rather devalued their own position and I wouldn’t want them anywhere near our club. Inappropriate club ownership is very much an issue for all BHA fans who remember the 1990s.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
From BBC

So roughly translated

‘As the richest clubs we have become the self appointed voice of what’s good for football and are annoyed you all stopped us getting our lucrative closed shop competition. Despite universal disapproval of our scheme we are so deluded we still think it’s a great idea so we now want it commissioned as a UEFA competition instead. UEFA love a share of the spoils so they will be quids in as well but don’t worry we will throw some scraps down the pyramid to appease the legacy fans’

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I bet you anything what they signed yesterday wasn’t anything close to that.

Really!

Your club needs to put in its place and any real football fan will agree with some form of punishment of the owners of these wanker clubs. They signed a contract to play in a league contrary to the regulations.

I'd be ashamed to believe my club would act like this and totally accept they need to punished. The fans need to make sure these owners never have anything to do with their clubs.

Levy is a snake

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is been brewing for several years so how these organisers of the ESL could get this so spectacularly wrong beggars belief.

reckon they kept it so secret and limited group involved, didnt discuss it with people who manage PR or anyone else offering alternative view. then they get wrapped up in the idea and merits, dont stop to consider implications or consequences.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here