Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
74 year old ESL President, Florentino Perez, claiming that the ESL will save football! This is due to his expertise in what young people like and it seems he thinks young people are "no longer interested in football" because of "a lot of poor quality games".
The cause of those poor quality games, you stupid ****ing ****, is clubs like yours stealing all the money and turning your own league into a farce.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Even if it's all cancelled and slink quietly back in, there HAS to be some sort of sanction. Otherwise what is to stop them doing it again? They've revealed what they'd be willing to do.

Weird analogy but - if you threatened an old lady in a town square with a gun, you still get punished even if you don't pull the trigger. (And no, I don't know why my mind went there either.)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just read that the Government may refuse work visas for foreign players in ESL teams.

Smart move. The more hostile their operating environment the better.

Let's see how they do with only British/Irish squads.

Last edited:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Yes - the Pitch Owners thing is really interesting. As far as I understand it they HAVE to play their games at Stamford Bridge, and if they don't they can't call themselves Chelsea. There may be other hurdles as well.

Sorry, what is this pitch owners association you talk of? Genuinely never heard of it! ???

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
I wonder what has given him this impression. His German counterparts like Bayern Munich, that has a cheapest matchday ticket that is less than half the price of Real's are not saying this.

He's like the Selfish Giant from Oscar Wilde's children's story.

Real Madrid have quite a long relationship with "interesting" Spanish Government's over many generations, going back to Franco (who people forget was in charge of Spain until 1975/76). Spanish and European football has cast jealous eyes at the Premier League for a long time. The amusing thing is that the success of the English football has been its tackling and competitive spirit. Ironically, football has long ago started to go down the path of making it less competitive and stacked in Man United's favour (such as the 5 subs rule). Instead of learning from success, football has taken lessons from failure. The lack of relegation and promotion is again the tail wagging the donkey. The idea that a global international sport like football has things to learn from the regional small sports of Amercian football or baseball is for the birds. But the reason for that is self preservation for the big club clubs. The more I think of it, the more I warm to the "wave them goodbye and abolish 5 subs whilst we are at it" camp. A shame for Man United fans to see their club turned into a Harlem Globetrotters show rather than a sporting club, but there we go. They are a quoted business and the owners have a duty to its shareholders to commoditise their business as much as possible. In a free sopciety that fundamental is also more important than football. But interestingly, the governments could make it difficult with things such as visas being needed for players. Could be interesting to watch.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Absolutely. Even if they pull out of a ESL, they should be docked points for bringing the game into disrepute..or something like that. The PL should hammer them with whatever they can.
I don't think the rules allow the PL to do that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I disagree I actually think the opposite will happen here - these clubs have gone for the nuclear option of walking away, they have now realised that they have isolated themselves from the rest of Europe and PSG and Bayern, Dortmund haven't gone with them, and any potential 'big' European clubs, Porto etc.. are distancing themselves.

I think they have massively weakened their negotiating position by showing their action is ineffective. UEFA have bent over backwards for these big clubs and it still wasn't enough.

The greedy 12 now seem to have two options - press on regardless with a competition that will whither and die with little interest as and old mans league as Messi, Ronaldo and Zlatan play each other each week.
Or
Row back from here and try to make peace from a much weaker position and have to make concessions.

I agree.

Heard Evereton and read Brighton's statements (and I was against unilateral statements earlier today - I was wrong) and both brought a tear to my eye. This is war, and we will win.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yeah it is good to see, but really? A club owner claiming he didn't mean it, he was misled by the big boys who were forcing him to do it.

Pathetic.

Yep. I wouldn't want any of these clubs to wriggle away from the responsibility and repercussions for what they have done / proposed.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Sorry, what is this pitch owners association you talk of? Genuinely never heard of it! ???

It's all here. Abramovich tried to buy it back but failed a years ago because he didn't get enough of the members vote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Pitch_Owners#History

Chelsea suffered serious financial troubles during the 1970s and 1980s following a large-scale attempt to renovate Stamford Bridge. The financial crisis and a subsequent change of ownership at the club culminated the sale of the club's freehold to property developers Marler Estates (and subsequently Cabra Estates). The move almost saw Chelsea lose the stadium.[1]

The future of the stadium (and hence the club) was only secured in 1992, when the property developers were bankrupted by a market crash, allowing the then-chairman Ken Bates to do a deal with their bankers and to regain control of the stadium for the football club. Following this, Chelsea Pitch Owners was created, and in 1997 it purchased the Stamford Bridge freehold, the turnstiles, the pitch and the Chelsea FC name with the aid of a non-recourse loan of £10 million[1] from Chelsea Village plc, the parent company of the club.[1][2] The CPO in turn granted the club a 199-year lease on Stamford Bridge at a peppercorn rent.[1]

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Does what it says on the tin. Abramovich doesn't own the pitch - it belongs to an organisation called the Chelsea Pitch Owners - basically the fans (there are 13,000 shareholders of CPO). They also own the rights to the name Chelsea FC.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/cpo

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Apropos of nothing, I hope we smash Chelsea's doors in tonight. One can but hope.

But hope is what non-ESL football is all about, is it not?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I don't think the rules allow the PL to do that.

I guess it’s down to what they mean by ‘enter’

RULE L9
Except with the prior written approval of the Board, during the Season a Club shall not enter or play its senior men's first team in any competition other than:
L.9.1 the UEFA Champions League
L.9.2 the UEFA Europa League
L.9.3. the FA Cup
L.9.4 the FA Community Shield
L.9.5. the Football League Cup
L.9.6 competitions sanctioned by the County Association of which it is a member

Perez seems to be suggesting they have entered into a contract for this league which could be seen a breaching a PL rule and could be subject to action being taken. Imagine one of the areas the lawyers are currently working through

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1384282327581298694?s=21

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here