Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
A pity that the Klopp quote was a fake....there is a deafening silence from the likes of Solskjaer, Klopp, Guardiola et al. Obviously they are in a slightly tricky position, but if they don't come out against these plans they will be seen as collaborators.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
View attachment 135956

I’ve always liked Klopp, I think he actually gets it.

MNF tonight is a not miss.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in Carragher and GNev conducting their mass hysteria on the greed of the big 6 clubs from behind a paywall you have to pay £30 a month to watch?

???

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
For those wanting the PL to kick the 6 out, relegate them etc, it's just never going to happen. Ultimately the PL is a money making machine and these 6 bring in the vast majority of their income - kicking them out would make no sense at all.

As I said before, it's all a negotiation and they will come up with a financial agreement. This Super League will happen, it might not be in it's current exact suggested format but it will in some shape or form. And once it's happened, those teams will not give a toss about the Champions League anyway so UEFA lose all power.

We've just got to get used to the idea and try and find a way to make it work with the current domestic arrangements.

I think you are under estimating the strength of feeling from the fans of the teams signed up to start the ESL. As we know, better than anyone, fans will overcome owners who put their own pockets before the club and its supporters. I have a ‘fans United’ feeling about this one.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Am I the only one who sees the irony in Carragher and GNev conducting their mass hysteria on the greed of the big 6 clubs from behind a paywall you have to pay £30 a month to watch?

???

Given that actually most of it has been shared for free on social media ...

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
How many fans from Sussex that support these twatish clubs might flip to the Albion now?

Probably not many. They're the type of 'fans' that this league is looking to exploit: plastics who have no link to the team they 'support' or the history of the club or the area it's from. You could move the clubs 'home' games to an entirely different continent and I imagine it'll have no effect whatsoever on these 'fans'.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
A pity that the Klopp quote was a fake....there is a deafening silence from the likes of Solskjaer, Klopp, Guardiola et al. Obviously they are in a slightly tricky position, but if they don't come out against these plans they will be seen as collaborators.

What’s needed is a carefully thought through response from the Premier League , FIFA etc, and it’s when this is delivered that we will see who from the ‘big 6’ rebel or stick.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

"The wider good of the game is a secondary concern"

"This isn't football's civil war, this is football's nuclear war."

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
How to i embed tweets?

Screenshot 2021-04-19 134114.png

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I think you are under estimating the strength of feeling from the fans of the teams signed up to start the ESL. As we know, better than anyone, fans will overcome owners who put their own pockets before the club and its supporters. I have a ‘fans United’ feeling about this one.

A big difference from the time of the Premier League launch is the ability of fans to get organised via t’internet. And that it will not only be fans of smaller clubs that will be complaining.

I actually hope that the new ESL happens, I just hope English football makes the most of this opportunity to reinvigour the domestic game.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Lovely idea but I'm afraid that the last year has confirmed to these people that the 'legacy fans' who would front this protest are not important to their business model. Ultimately, they don't care what they think or do.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Not sure the likes of Shanghai or LA Galaxy give two sh1ts tbh. This is never going to be about European football and the guest clubs will be to grow the appeal of the league in various global markets.

No different to, say, Israel being in the Eurovision Song Contest. Europe can have very flexibility borders if the money is right.

oooh now maxi-franchise - if they moved the Man city to the New York city branch and added them into the comp, plus Boca Jrs and flamengo it would be intresting.............

plus Perth Glory, Cario Pyramids and the Kaizer chiefs

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I assume this is here somewhere, but just in case:-

[tweet]1384050687311446016[/tweet]

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
This was pretty much inevitable unfortunately as the global market is opened up, more demand and more money. I saw first hand every week in New York the growth of the plastic fans overseas. A regular small band of the Albion faithful would gather at the Football Factory in New York to watch the live Brighton matches and most times one or more of the big 6 would be playing at the same time. I had never seen such a band of noisy, monied obnoxious fans letting everybody know how great their 'chosen' team was. It's obvious to everybody that they merely follow success, and they will pick any team out of the six, it doesn't matter which to them. They have no real allegiance to the club, it's all about the bragging rights. Sure they can name all the players but they have never been and never will go to the home ground of that club. They are the very worst type of fan and demonstrate exactly what is wrong with game today, but these are the people who are now being catered to and they will be happily handing over their $200 for the new club shirt and whatever other expensive tat is on offer. I'm so glad I was born in Brighton and will follow them wherever I end up in the world, along with all the other Brighton fans who have followed them all their lives through thick and thin.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Ajax tipped to be the 13th club to join, so only two more permanet spaces will remain....

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
These clubs may end up doing Uefa a huge favour. The plans for a rejigged Champions League were also riddled with protectionism for a group of clubs seen as too big to fail. It's plans are disgusting, but the reckless, nakedly self serving, bridge burning proposals from these 12 businesses are so more blatant that Uefa could end up looking like they are championing the people's game whilst forcing through similar measures to protect a perceived elite group of trademarks. However, we football fans all have to take some degree of responsibility for this situation into our own hands.

I remember John Oliver doing a piece on FIFA on Last Week Tonight. He bookended the stories of shameless corruption by saying that they can get away with it because they have the World Cup and that, despite all of the moral qualms involved, of course he'd still be watching. We are all exactly the same and the only way for any of this to change is for enough of us as fans of the sport to say 'I won't be watching'. I've already considered this for the next World Cup. This decision is far far easier. I don't care a jot about any of the teams or players involved. A pox on all their houses. I won't watch it. I won't read about it. I won't involve myself in small talk about it's games, it's teams or it's players. All businesses, calling themselves football clubs, that involve themselves will be MK Dons. Stolen shells of institutions once beloved by the people that made their abandoned histories. Opponents need a very short, very clear message like 'I won't watch' to go viral across social media. Large corporations are hugely risk averse and terrified of one thing: losing money. If there is even a small inkling that this may not pay for itself, it'll be dead in the water.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here