Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You lucky get. Wish that gig didn't clash with Crystal Castles tomorrow night. Make sure you see AlunaGeorge as well. Hooray

Those two are on my radar and will definitely check them out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have to say Rufus was wonderfully on form. A thoroughly enjoyable gig. 2 Bears was slightly hindered by the Coalition doormen not letting a friend of mine in due to no photo ID; utter nonsense and totally inexplicable as my mate is the wrong side of 30 and has a friendly and totally unthreatening demeanour. This will be followed up. Union were good, AlunaGeorge will need another listen and 2 Bears were excellent and fun and took the party to another level.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I have to say Rufus was wonderfully on form. A thoroughly enjoyable gig. 2 Bears was slightly hindered by the Coalition doormen not letting a friend of mine in due to no photo ID; utter nonsense and totally inexplicable as my mate is the wrong side of 30 and has a friendly and totally unthreatening demeanour. This will be followed up. Union were good, AlunaGeorge will need another listen and 2 Bears were excellent and fun and took the party to another level.

Sounds a winner. I am going to see Rufus's dad play in April at the same place. He is quite a character- think there is some kind of family rift between him and Rufus from what was hinted at last time I saw him.
AlunaGeorge is fairly pleasant to the eye but do not really know much of what she plays. As for your friend not being allowed in that does sound rather harsh. Surely if you have a ticket you should be allowed in? But what do I know.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As for your friend not being allowed in that does sound rather harsh. Surely if you have a ticket you should be allowed in?.

Agree. The ticket does actually state photo ID required but it is part of a sentence about over 18s. I have never been IDed at Coalition before and none of the rest of us where asked either. I'm pissed off and will look into this further.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Your friend must have been mighty pissed off though if he was the only one not let in. Hope he at least gets a refund. I dont have anything with my photo on not even a driving licence. Never been asked but then I am 40 plus.

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011
Got The Vaccines on Friday at Bournemouth Academy then Novella at 60 Million Postcards straight afterwards. Laurel Collective (and Peter and Kerry) at the same venue on Saturday, then The History of Apple Pie at Southampton Joiners on 13th February and 60 MPC (again) on 16th February.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Agree. The ticket does actually state photo ID required but it is part of a sentence about over 18s. I have never been IDed at Coalition before and none of the rest of us where asked either. I'm pissed off and will look into this further.

A fair few venues check ID as standard on entry now - eg. Cargo - which leads to a lot of bemused people in their late twenties for whom the idea of having to provide idea seems like a distant memory. All rather over the top - but if says it on the ticket it's not entirely the venue's fault!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A fair few venues check ID as standard on entry now - eg. Cargo - which leads to a lot of bemused people in their late twenties for whom the idea of having to provide idea seems like a distant memory. All rather over the top - but if says it on the ticket it's not entirely the venue's fault!

It says in very small print and as it is part of the "over 18" sentence could be construed as a requirement if you're challenged as opposed to a requirement for all. As I said not everyone was IDed. There is absolutely no way my friend could me seen as being under 18. Common sense could have prevailed? If you want my opinion the bouncer realised he had made a mistake but instead of accepting this and apologising and letting my mate in he didn't want to back down so maintained his stance no matter how ridiculous he was sounding; basically a bouncer being a bouncer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A fair few venues check ID as standard on entry

Its not common in Brighton for me and my mates who all look well over 18; we're all mid-30s to mid-40s. Me and my mates who regularly go to almost all the music venues in Brighton cannot remember the last time we were asked down here.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
It says in very small print and as it is part of the "over 18" sentence could be construed as a requirement if you're challenged as opposed to a requirement for all. As I said not everyone was IDed. There is absolutely no way my friend could me seen as being under 18. Common sense could have prevailed? If you want my opinion the bouncer realised he had made a mistake but instead of accepting this and apologising and letting my mate in he didn't want to back down so maintained his stance no matter how ridiculous he was sounding; basically a bouncer being a bouncer.

Oh don't worry, I agree with you entirely - it's bloody stupid. I'm just pointing out, in a way which I now realise sounded much more smartarse than it was meant to - that it happens quite a lot in London and therefore it doesn't really surprise me.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I went to see Squeeze last week at the Dome - they were effing great!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

Oh don't worry, I agree with you entirely - it's bloody stupid. I'm just pointing out, in a way which I now realise sounded much more smartarse than it was meant to - that it happens quite a lot in London and therefore it doesn't really surprise me.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Buddy Whittington is playing the Ropetackle Centre next Wed. Well worth it if you like raunchy blues-rock.

Flex Your Head

This is looking like a good start to the new year for those in London or who don't mind travelling to The Lexington:

The 3rd Annual 'Fortuna Pop!' Winter Sprinter

Tue 8 Jan
Allo Darlin'
Tender Trap
The Spook School

Wed 9 Jan
Herman Dune
Withered Hand
Joanna Gruesome

Thu 10 Jan
Darren Hayman (ex-Hefner)
The Long Parliament
Shrag
Haiku Salut

Fri 11 Jan
Comet Gain
Milky Wimpshake
Evans The Death

I'd love to whittle it down a bit and make it into an absolutely essential two-nighter rather than pretty decent four-nighter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here