Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Live commentry on an iPod/

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The issue here isn't Apple or the providers of the radio apps.

Simply it would be somewhat of a major flaw to the 'only available on Seagulls Player' model if it could be circumvented by listening to an alternative online stream. The BBC will feed the streams with content which is not covered by another agreement, in this case some non-league action. They won't feed Albion commentary to any other online streams other than Seagulls Player.

(Seagulls Player, for those that subscribe, not working on an iPod/iPhone/iPad is sort of an Apple issue, however. As already said they will not support Flash on these devices. However the world is slowly changing and it won't be long before these streams are offered up in non-Flash technologies. You'll still have to subscribe to Player though.)

BBC iPlayer is blocked from being streamed abroad, presumably because folk in other countries are not BBC licencefee payers, so I don't see why Seagulls World should be able to "block" BBC content (ie the match commentry) from being streamed live to UK webusers. Surely it should follow the same principal as the BBC iPlayer and be freely available over the web to anyone in the UK.

UK Seagulls World subscribers are effectively being charged twice - once through their licence fee, and then again by Seagulls World for the BBC commentry. Thats a bit naughty innit ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
OS 4.0 is due shortly enough, I believe (tech sites do bombard news on this) so that might be Easy's problem sorted.

That's what I said, yes...

(Although I think someone had taken a Touch apart and there's an FM radio in there but Apple haven't activated it yet. New O/S announcement in April so maybe then.)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wow, nice one cheers chaps.
Surely only Apple would leave a "secret dorment" FM radio device in one of their products, and activate it just when they see fit. Strange company.

Ooh, it might have 'live pause' as well I see.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Doesnt help if you are outside of the broadcast area though.

How difficult would it be for perform or who ever deal with SW to write an app for the iPhone/iTouch where you enter in your account details for SW and get the radio stream that way? It could be a single generic app for all clubs and the match you get is dependant on the account details entered.

Another way is to try getting our oppositions local radio via the net. Dont know if the restrictions are the same for every club but I know Leeds scum have their games broadcast on radio Ken not the BBC

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Speaking of the commentry, whats happened to old Norman ? Has he got fed up with being dragged all over the country every other week, or did SCR decide to bin him ? Or maybe Mr Camillin has had some work done on his patio lately...

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Wow, nice one cheers chaps.
Surely only Apple would leave a "secret dorment" FM radio device in one of their products, and activate it just when they see fit. Strange company.

Ooh, it might have 'live pause' as well I see.

Handy, you can pause it at 85 odd mins and think you have won.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You could always buy the new Nokia N900 , which works with Seagulls world fine.

I pop it on top of my kitchen radio, turn the FM transmitter on and "tune into" the match commentary.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Doesnt help if you are outside of the broadcast area though.

How difficult would it be for perform or who ever deal with SW to write an app for the iPhone/iTouch where you enter in your account details for SW and get the radio stream that way? It could be a single generic app for all clubs and the match you get is dependant on the account details entered.

Another way is to try getting our oppositions local radio via the net. Dont know if the restrictions are the same for every club but I know Leeds scum have their games broadcast on radio Ken not the BBC

.. which is only available in the local area on DAB. For all intents and purposes it is exactly the same. Whoever does the radio commentary doesn't have the online rights.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Is it possible to tune into the local radio, say BBC *whoeverweareplaying* and then use Tunein Radio??

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Got this response from the peeps at Seagulls world

Unfortunately our service is unavailable on the Iphone. We are not currently working to make our site compatible with the Iphone.

We apologise for the inconvenience.

So other methods needed, I am not after it for free just want to acess seagulls world when I am out and about and not with a laptop in tow.

Poor old Norm was taken ill, hopefully he will be recovered enough soon to take back the mike, any news from anyone on whether he is stormin again.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well once Apple unlock the FM radio, at least you'll be able to use the iPhone/Touch locally for commentry. Thats all I'm after. Not much to ask.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Is it possible to tune into the local radio, say BBC *whoeverweareplaying* and then use Tunein Radio??

I imagine it depends on that clubs broadcast deals, some local stations cover loads of teams so that is also a variable.

In fact you can listen to loads of games via seagulls world which must imply they have the market sewn up. What will happen when talk sport get all the new games they paid for will tha afect lower league games.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Speaking of the commentry, whats happened to old Norman ? Has he got fed up with being dragged all over the country every other week, or did SCR decide to bin him ? Or maybe Mr Camillin has had some work done on his patio lately...

Didn't he have a bout of illness recently, something quite serious, I think.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No, I hadn't heard that Acker.
Hope the old boy is feeling better soon then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here