Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Liv golf

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It likes a whose who of Golf Bellends. Was suprised Bryson not in the line up and turns up late in the day regular as clock work.

Very much this. Greg Norman fronting it, Phil Mickelson first on the team sheet, then overrated boorish cretin De Chambeau is late to the party as you point out. Absolute cocks aplenty. It does feel like talent isn't really the most important thing to qualify to play in this LIV thing - just as long as your selfish moron credentials shine through.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It does feel like talent isn't really the most important thing to qualify to play in this LIV thing - just as long as your selfish moron credentials shine through.

You’re way off the mark there because I haven’t been invited.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You’re way off the mark there because I haven’t been invited.
Reporter: "Would you work for Validimir Putin?"
Bry Nylon: "Yes. If he wants to pay me more than £20,000,000, I really couldn't give a shit how many Ukranians he slaughters in their own country"
Reporter: "Oh"
LIV official: "I'm afraid Bry Nylon is no longer involved. He doesn't appear to be enough of a twàt"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its basically the equivalent of, say, Harry Kane signing for some obscure tinpot club in Kuwait for a million dollars a game. No recognisable trophies, no Champions League, just seeing out a career playing for a crap club in a new competition that has absolutely no history, in a series of exhibition games which nobody gives a f*ck about.

Sure he'll be scooping $$$ to satisfy his agent and his bank manager. But as a career move, its suicide. I could perhaps understand the likes of Troy Deeney, or the SEGW chasing the dollar for one last hurrah in some shitty backwater competition before they're totally washed up. But its sad to see the likes of Dustin Johnson, Ricky Fowler and Bryson Dechambeau throwing their baseball caps into this cashcow at this stage of their careers. And then pretending its to "spread the game". Pathetic.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
...a series of exhibition games which nobody gives a f*ck about.

Just to illustrate this point, on 5Live yesterday the golf correspondent said the galleries were sparse and the event lacked any discernible atmosphere. The ticket price was £67 but he couldn't find one single person who had actually paid for their ticket. People he spoke to were either club members (free tickets); people from surrounding towns / villages (free tickets); people who had downloaded free ticket offers from competitors' social media feeds.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just to illustrate this point, on 5Live yesterday the golf correspondent said the galleries were sparse and the event lacked any discernible atmosphere. The ticket price was £67 but he couldn't find one single person who had actually paid for their ticket. People he spoke to were either club members (free tickets); people from surrounding towns / villages (free tickets); people who had downloaded free ticket offers from competitors' social media feeds.

Desperate isn't it. They've got fireworks, faux-London Buses, faux-Pillar Boxes, a soundstage, people wandering around dressed in golf clobber from the 1800's. All this gimmickery and crapola thrown around in an attempt to disguise the fact that this 'tournament' has zero credibility amongst anyone who even has so much as a passing interest in golf. They literally can't even give the tickets away, nobody wants to televise it, and long may that continue.

Another thing that was noticable - sponsorship. Usually players are festooned with it, but when I saw the latest Mickleson sportswash interview, the usual KPMG logo was absent from his cap. He's obviously raked in a load of bloodstained arab cash to more than cover it, but its a telling sign when major sponsors are running for the hills from this Saudi circus.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Lefty looking a bit rusty so far, Schwartzel unstoppable.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Part of me couldn't really give a toss about what they do, who they play for or how much money they get. It's nothing to do with me, it doesn't really affect my life in any way, shape or form and – at the end of the day – it is only golf. Added to that, there is the fact that almost no big company has got to the point it's at by bending the rules a bit (I'm more than aware that this Saudi mob are the worst of the worst, which is probably why they have more money than anyone) – I'm sure the PGA isn't squeaky clean, for example.

However, another part of me thinks that it's disgusting that they've effectively sold out for stupid amounts of money and tried to dress it up as 'bringing the game of golf into new areas for new audiences. Yes, some have pretty much admitted they're doing it for the money, but I'm not buying the 'sports and politics don't mix' thing. If you're getting into bed with people who chop people's heads off for your own personal gain, you've GOT to be prepared for some criticism.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
The players want the top money. Don't see anybody on here moaning about when the Premier League broke away from the Football League.
Why any different to football?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
If this tournament is so evil with its links to the Saudi wealth fund that attendance results in being banned for other tournaments, then how did the owners of Newcastle FC pass the fit and proper checks?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
FFS I don't want to see SSN turning out any more interviews with thick millionaire golfers who are too stupid to even understand the question. Sound bites on a par with advocating more guns for kids ro protect themselves from nutters in their school!
And if SSN could just stop reporting on it .......................... oh, they've taken some advertisement revenue from the executioners. Oh well, once I've got my new smart TV set up, I'll be saying goodbye to Virgin, so no SSN, and no more revenue (albeit indirectly) from me to them.
:thumbsup:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If this tournament is so evil with its links to the Saudi wealth fund that attendance results in being banned for other tournaments, then how did the owners of Newcastle FC pass the fit and proper checks?

EPL ..... FA ............. £££££ ................. next question?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

I think you’ve answered your own question there

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here