Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Little Chef to close 67 Restaurants

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Great. Where the f*** are we going to sack our managers now? Dick's Bar?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Our Famous Olympic Breakfast
£7.49 Two rashers of back bacon, an award winning British pork sausage, two free range griddled eggs, mushroom, sauté potatoes, griddled tomato and Heinz baked beans. Served with toast or fried bread.

I'm not really surprised that's 7.50, although to merit the moniker "Olympic" I expected there to be more of it (although it's still mroe than I'd ever want for brekkie)

I'd expect it to be served in 5 of those food presentation rings

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I would quite often visit the one near Lewes on the A27 about 8=9 years ago when i lived in Lewes, I see it closed years ago though

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I'm not suprised to be honest, if that chap that Heston had to deal with is still in charge then I'm not suprised they've suffered. People are in too much of a hurry these days to sit down and eat, they race in to the services, do a wee, buy a burger and the paper and head out. Mostly I look for M&S's anyhow to buy good ingredients to make our own snadwiches or breakfast rather than buy stodge and fried heart attack fodder.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Split board key to Adams exit
7:00am Monday 23rd February 2009

By Andy Naylor »

NOBODY should really be surprised that Micky Adams is no longer Albion’s manager.

Results, or rather a lack of them, dictated that his position was under intense scrutiny.

What has bemused and baffled club insiders, fans and the media alike is the timing of his departure.

Most people, including you suspect Adams himself, anticipated he would be axed last Wednesday, following the failure to reach Wembley in a penalty shootout defeat at Luton.

Instead, he survived until Friday afternoon when, with preparations for the Millwall game complete, he met with Dick Knight.

The chairman expected a relatively routine get-together. Yes, results needed to turn quickly but he had no intention of succumbing to the wishes of some of his colleagues on the Board by sacking the manager.

Adams made it abundantly clear throughout the speculation surrounding him that he would not resign.

Why would he, a quarter way through a three-year contract with a young family to support?

What Knight had not bargained for was the impact on Adams of both the way the club has altered since his first successful spell in charge and a Board split over his future.

Two hours of discussions at the Little Chef, Hickstead, concluded with the club announcing on Saturday morning the only logical outcome – that Adams was leaving by mutual consent.

Our Famous Olympic Breakfast
£7.49 Two rashers of back bacon, an award winning British pork sausage, two free range griddled eggs, mushroom, sauté potatoes, griddled tomato and Heinz baked beans. Served with toast or fried bread.

I'm not really surprised that's 7.50, although to merit the moniker "Olympic" I expected there to be more of it (although it's still mroe than I'd ever want for brekkie)

There are two cafes in my locality where you can get that (probably better quality) plus a coffee for less.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I can get a full mighty english brekkie at a local griddle for the princely sum of 4.99. It is more comprehensive as a little chef and offers swapsies. Throw in bread/butter and tea and its still cheaper than an olympic.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I noticed that what was originally a Little Chef on the southbound A23 just outside Brighton, which then became Robbies has now changed again and is now called Route 23. Little Chef sold it as presumably it didnt pay but it was usually busy as Robbies and now it seems that he has sold it, so somebody made a living out of it.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
They do not offer value for money as there are many other companies offering better like Crown Carveries, Harvester Wetherspoons etc so it is hardly suprising. Just as an example Crown Carveries (Sportsman) offer 1 sausage 2 Bacon and unlimited Eggs, Mushrooms, Baked Beans Tomatoes Hash Browns for £2.99 add tea and toast for £1.99 (I think it is) so for less than a fiver you can fill yourself up.
totaly agree another crown carvery is the george on the holmbush roundabout (same deal and prices as above )
oh and open from 730am sat and sunday

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
So all these places that are better, cheaper and healthier that you all eat at, are next to major roads easy to find and when you arrive to eat between 6 and 10 every day you know exactly what you are going to get.
Having lost all the greasy spoons in my 48 years of driving around the country, Little Chefs are all that is left if you want to get out of the motor and sit down to eat.
We will have to make do with the wonderful Motorway service stations or take our own sarnies ffs. :down:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Someone above ^^^^^^ mentioned rushing around etc. bollox, why does everyone rush in and out of a service station, cause they are stupidly expensive and couldn't give a stuff about customers. Can't remember the one near the end of the M1, on way back from Leicester this season, loads of people, brighton and other fans all rushing in to the service area and the proper eating area, not the KFC etc. Little Chef or whatever it is, decided to shut! Manager would not let anyone in..

Now, how much was Heston paid??? I know the manager was a twat but he was probably pissed off about the cost..

Lastly, I have been in a French motorway service station, had a bloody lovely meal, carafe of wine, can't remember how much but it was fab and we didn't want to leave! So much so we nearly missed our flight, had 5 minutes spare!

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Which Little Chef was Knight's nerve centre, where all the big decisions were made..Hickstead??

Topolino's at lunchtimes or a pub near Hickstead.

Naff moves like, getting a Club back to its City, successfully fighting for a stadium at Falmer, signing Bobby Zamora, signing Danny Cullip, signing Glenn Murray, and getting a club operating out of a tiny athletics stadium promoted 3 times.

Last edited:

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Overpriced rubbishy unhealthy food. Slow service. Undertrained staff.
I shan't miss it at all.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Lastly, I have been in a French motorway service station, had a bloody lovely meal, carafe of wine, can't remember how much but it was fab and we didn't want to leave! So much so we nearly missed our flight, had 5 minutes spare!

That's because you were probably on holiday, probably not in a rush and your visit was all part of a "journey experience". That's what it used to be like for many people in the UK too. A drive of more than 100 miles or so was a proper journey. Now we all drive faster, on faster roads and all we want is to get from A to B as quickly as possible. And it doesn't involve having a 'nice meal' on the way. Any restaurant that isn't fast food, catering to the car driver, is on a hiding to nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here