Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Listen live online loophole

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I'm visiting the 'rents today over the border in <shudder> Surrey where instead of our beloved BBC Sussex they receive BBC Surrey (or Surry as it shows up on the RDS). Managed to just pick up Sussex out in my car but when I got in it wasn't happening so I thought I'd give the internet radio a try (a standalone unit that connects wirelessly to your internet and allows you to pick from the millions of online streams) and lo and behold I've got crystal clear commentary from the game, complete with huge cheer at the end, being broadcast from the internet to my parents' house in Surrey.

So how does the internet radio somehow override the restriction that stops you from listening to BBC Sussex (formerly SCR) on your computer?

This is the clever little box of tricks I'm talking about:

aewifi-spec.jpg

So how does the internet radio somehow override the restriction that stops you from listening to BBC Sussex (formerly SCR) on your computer?

This is the clever little box of tricks I'm talking about:

aewifi-spec.jpg

I'm sure it couldn't; by some quirk, everyone got it tonight (even Canada!).
Expect SCR put the Sussex feed on instead of the usual Surrey feed by mistake.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Really?

So the stream was freely available to all tonight?

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
I remember reading somewhere that all the feeds are controlled in Birmingham. The system that blocks listeners is automated in weeks advanced, but sometimes when kickoff times are changed for whatever reason you might be able to listen.

I remember reading somewhere that all the feeds are controlled in Birmingham. The system that blocks listeners is automated in weeks advanced, but sometimes when kickoff times are changed for whatever reason you might be able to listen.

Sorry to criticise both of your first two posts, but I think the Surrey feed was the default one that SCR always used.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
What is odd though is that the radio displayed it as SCR. So even though I was enjoying the Sussex broadcast of the match, it shouldn't technically have been playing as 1) I was outside the broadcast area, 2) Internet streams sould have been blocked and 3) it wasn't even the right station

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What is odd though is that the radio displayed it as SCR. So even though I was enjoying the Sussex broadcast of the match, it shouldn't technically have been playing as 1) I was outside the broadcast area, 2) Internet streams sould have been blocked and 3) it wasn't even the right station

"Broadcast area" - doesn't apply obviously.

You were picking up an internet feed that would have available anywhere in the world.

Quite simply Radio Sussex shouldn't have been broadcasting over the internet, but was. The stream isn't blocked as such (in that it stops you listening to it), it is usually quite simply switched off.

On something like Radio Five Live, they transmit a message saying the programme isn't available.

For some reason on SCR, they put the Surrey Feed on.

( Is the Sussex SCR available on the web at other times by the way? )

Presumably that feed has some information in it that tells your radio what station it is. That's obviously not been updated either.

Unless they were playing the commentary on the Surrey Feed tonight, which is another possibility ?

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
And in Spain

I remember watching an episode of Friends years ago when the boys managed to the Adult chanel free on their cable TV and they were afraid to turn their tele off in case they lost it.

Thats what it was like in my house last night.

Thanks to the poster who provided the link by the way:thumbsup:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Never mind clever internet sorcery, I can pick up BBC sussex in one tiny spot on the A13 at hadleigh in Essex, have been known to drive down there from Leigh on Sea when seagulls world is down (often). found it totally by chance when listening to radio essex on the same frequency. Must be wierd for the locals there,waiting for some shitty country and western show on BBC radio furry dice, hearing how the roadworks on Lewes Road are causing congestion back to Coldean

Why is that? usually the signal goes at around Clackett lane.

For some reason on SCR, they put the Surrey Feed on.

They usually do that because the Surrey feed normally has non-League commentaries which are unrestricted.

As far as I can see, SCR has not split into the two stations it should have been in the first place. It's just a promotional con as proved by the BBC itself
BBC - England - English Regions Local Radio

It's one station, with one internet feed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here