Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lisping Britain

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
What is it with all these people with lisps ?
Years ago, you would meet the odd one or two but now we are flooded with them...on our tv screens all the time...Jonathan Woss, Jamie Oliver, Dermot O' learwy, the bloke on the One Show who does the animal bits !
Not only does it seem our language is changing ( the constant replacing of " th " with " d "...e.g " the udder day " " I saw dem " "dats not right " etc....its also fashionable on programmes like Eastenders to get all the actors to say " fink " instead " think " and " fing " instead of " thing "
Throw in a sort of ' mid Atlantic drawl which also seems to be fashionable and you end up with that prat who used to do the daily press briefings during the Gulf War. ( can't remember his name )
Lisping always used to be more prevalent in the Upper and Moneyed Classes, when children had more contact with nannies than parents...where nannies were passed down through generations and the kids copied any speech impediments or mannerisms and were less influenced by their parents, By the time boarding school came round they were set in their ways.
But for reasons unknown to me its everywhere now, like a bloody epidemic. Are youngsters copying famous people...I don't know ?
From an early age, its obvious that parents are not bothering to correct their kids in lazy speech...lazy parenting = lazy speech.
Do we want all these people wandering around as figures of fun, just cos' they can't pronounce their " r 's " or " th's " ?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I blame Monty Python. Welease Wodericyk.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ccwwwiisssttopher livingssssttton eubankkkk

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I heard Matt Thornhills interview, what accent was that supposed to be? Sounded a bit like gansts notts.

Then there's all the adding of wastefull words and the ahhoying way that the last word is left on a high, as in a question. so " I love watching Albion" becomes " I am So lovING watching Albion?"

I blame the Yanks, who think they speak English.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Then there's all the adding of wastefull words and the ahhoying way that the last word is left on a high, as in a question. so " I love watching Albion" becomes " I am So lovING watching Albion?"

I blame the Yanks, who think they speak English.

It's called a high rising terminal, or a high rising inflection, and comes to you courtesy of anyone from Australia, or anyone who's spoken to an Australian on the phone in the last 24 hours.

Sir Sarcy

Hip-Hopopotamus
Jul 10, 2003
The Field
I have a listhp and it is more obviousth after drinking much to the amusthment of my thso called friendsth.

Personally i couldn't care lessth!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Jonothan Woss doesn't have a lisp, he cant roll his r's. not the same thing.

Its ironic really, the fuckers employed mainly on his ability to talk and he cant do that properly.

Would be like appointing me chief of the NSC spelling police.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Jonothan Woss doesn't have a lisp, he cant roll his r's. not the same thing.

Its ironic really, the fuckers employed mainly on his ability to talk and he cant do that properly.

Would be like appointing me chief of the NSC spelling police.

This is very true, as paid purveyours of the spoken word one would expect them to be at least on nodding terms, with English.

However, this does extend to singers too. I was listening to Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush on the radio the other day and I realised it is a plie of crap ! I can't make out hardly any of the words apart from the odd " Wuthering,Kathy,and Heathcliffe. Whole tranches of Bee Gees songs are the same .. I despair.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
you would have to blame the common dummy (pathifier) which trainth the tongue upwardth therefore preventing it coming in contact with the correct area of the bridth of the mouth to form the sss thound inthtead of the pathetic th.th.th sound that comes out of the lithpee...........altho blame lazy parents who cant be f***ed training thier kids out of the habit..........never theethiz to amaze me how many of these mongth are in the public eye.........TWATTH...!!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
you would have to blame the common dummy (pathifier) which trainth the tongue upwardth therefore preventing it coming in contact with the correct area of the bridth of the mouth to form the sss thound inthtead of the pathetic th.th.th sound that comes out of the lithpee...........altho blame lazy parents who cant be f***ed training thier kids out of the habit..........never theethiz to amaze me how many of these mongth are in the public eye.........TWATTH...!!!

Get back to Transylvannia, Igor

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here