Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It will be:

Brezovan
Calderon, Greer, Dunk, Mattock
JFC, Bridcutt, Navarro
Buckley, CMS, Barnes

IMO

I would start with that team if Reyes is not fit but if the circumstances allow look to get Vicente on early 2nd half, longer than last game, as I think that he could play the ball through for CMS and provide the link he has been missing. The only possible change for me would be El Abd instead of Dunk as I prefer him as a centre back and I think that he is better than Dunk.

AMEXican15

Sep 27, 2011
London
I think it will be...

Brez

Mattock
Dunk
Greer
Calderon

Navarro
Bridcutt
Harley

Buckley
Barnes
CMS

Bench will be Ankergren, El-Abd, JFC, Vicente and Vokes.

When Noone, LuaLua and Reyes are fit Poyet will have a squad on his hands! :albion2:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is reyes fit? On transfer deadline day I remember it being mentioned that he was injured in his previous game for west brom.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is reyes fit? On transfer deadline day I remember it being mentioned that he was injured in his previous game for west brom.

I read that he had an abductor muscle injury, which is what Hoskins had and we know all about the length of time he was out so wouldnt expect Reyes to be fit for this week.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I reckon Reyes will be fit for this one, but I do wonder if Gus is making sure him, Noone and Kazenga are 100% for Liverpool. If they're even just at 99% he might be resting them.

Personally I'd go with:

------------Brezovan------------
Calderon--Greer--Dunk--Mattock
----Navarro---Bridcutt---JFC----
----Buckley----Barnes---CMS----

Subs: Ankergren, El-Abd, Vokes, Vicente, Vincelot

I think if we were to switch to 4-4-2 it might open up more options, but not sure it would suit our style well. I'd like 4-2-2-2 but just don't see us changing off of 4-3-3 at the mo.

Last edited:

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Barnes has been decent the last three games, so there is ZERO chance of him being left out.

Calderon played miles better than El Abd Saturday, yet curiously people want him left out and El Abd retained.

The only changes I would think will be Mattock starting in place of AEA, and a replacement for Sparrow in midfield. That might be JFC, or possibly Jara Reyes. Possibly even both with Navarro dropping to the bench, if he fancies our chances.

Whilst I understand the reasons for wanting a strike partner alongside CMS, the big clamour for a change of shape, seems a little odd given that we've taken 13 points from the last 5 games.

This - top post

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
---------------Brezovan------------
------Reyes--Greer--Dunk--Mattock
Buckley----Navarro---Bridcutt---JFC----Barnes
--------------------CMS---------------------

Subs

Noone
Vicente
El-Abd
Vokes
Ankergren

CMS murdered Leeds last time out.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
---------------Brezovan------------
------Reyes--Greer--Dunk--Mattock
Buckley----Navarro---Bridcutt---JFC----Barnes
--------------------CMS---------------------

Subs

Noone
Vicente
El-Abd
Vokes
Ankergren

CMS murdered Leeds last time out.

Yep, I'd go with that. Although wouldn't be disappointed if Reyes wasn't fit and Calde started.

No chance of Gus changing from having a central midfield trio in my opinion. So with Sparrow likely to miss out, it's either JFC or Harley to come in. This also means that Vokes is on the bench again which is a shame but I just don't think Gus will go with 2 strikers just yet. Shame we can't get Lua Lua and Noone on the bench together

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I predict that CMS will score twice this weekend and the flood gates will open.

Just a feeling; I think it might have hurt being subbed on Saturday.

Got to say, I can't see CMS starting to be honest, I can see Vokes getting the nod, he's had a decent impact in the last 2 games. I think CMS's time will come this season, but his confidence is shot, he has barely got a shot off in the last few games. I'd take the pressure off him, a couple of games on the bench won't do him any harm, and what an impact sub to have to come on if you need a goal.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Brez
Calderon---Greer---Dunk---Mattock
Buckley---Navarro---Bridcutt--JFC
---Barnes--
---CMS---
Subs Angers, Reyes, El Abd, Vicente, Vokes

Doubt Gus will make too many changes. Might see Reyes start for Calderon though.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Barnes has been decent the last three games, so there is ZERO chance of him being left out.

Calderon played miles better than El Abd Saturday, yet curiously people want him left out and El Abd retained.

The only changes I would think will be Mattock starting in place of AEA, and a replacement for Sparrow in midfield. That might be JFC, or possibly Jara Reyes. Possibly even both with Navarro dropping to the bench, if he fancies our chances.

Whilst I understand the reasons for wanting a strike partner alongside CMS, the big clamour for a change of shape, seems a little odd given that we've taken 13 points from the last 5 games.

That will do for me. Vokes to come on in the second half.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Brezovan
Calderon~Dunk~Greer~Mattock
Navarro~Bridcutt
JFC
Buckley~CMS~Barnes

Bench: Ankergren, Vicente, Vokes, El-Abd, Agdestein

That's the team I expect. I doubt Reyes will be fit, and it would be criminal to drop Calderon anyway considering how well he's been linking up with Buckley. As much as I'm in favour of dropping CMS for a game, I don't think Gus will because he scored twice last time he played them! I expect to see the magic return.
Vicente to come on in place of JFC or Navarro and Vokes to replace whichever striker isn't doing so well at about an hour in.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I predict that CMS will score twice this weekend and the flood gates will open.

Just a feeling; I think it might have hurt being subbed on Saturday.

Yes please :rave:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

I have to agree with all that.

Why change it is you dont have to, although I agree Mattock will come in for El-Abd, who I think will be the new Vincelot, covering numerous places on the bench.

One thing with Ashley though, is I can see his role becoming replaced in the coming games, for a out and out winger. Whether or not he goes up front with CMS remains to be seen, but I think a new left back coming in, may count against Barnes.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Indeed. And for some reason (perhaps he doesn't look good enough on the bench) people wanting Ankergren dropped and no Vicente as a sub either.........................

FWIW I think we will set up much as we have with great success recently - maybe Jara as a direct replacement for Sparrow ahead of JFC simply because he will offfer more physical presence in a tough physical match but otherwise I am sure Gus sees him as a full back. If Jara isn't fit it will surely be JFC with Vicente replacing him late on? Mattock will play I think as otherwise Leeds will play Snodgrass on elAbd at every opportunity and with the best will in the world it is a missmatch that would surely cost us. Barnes' current form and utility as a cover defender makes him hard for Vokes to replace as a starter just yet although that is the one unforced change I think I would consider. Either KLL or Noone will be on the bench not both I reckon but let's make sure we don't change a winning formula too much.

In general terms I would expect us to play it as tight as we can and then hit them with Vokes, Vicente and Noone late on as they tire - that really is the Gus way.

rjbseagull

Apr 27, 2010
Brez
Reyes
Greer
Dunk
Mattock
Navs
Bridcutt
JFC
Buckley
CMS
Barnes

Subs:
Casper
El-Abd
Vicente
Kaz/Nooney
Vokes

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
----------Brez ---------
Reyes---Greer---Dunk---Mattock
Buckley-Bridcutt-Vicente-LuaLua
-------Vokes---CMS

Sadly too attacking to be a realistic starting line-up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here