Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Light bulbs

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Need to buy a new light bulb for the hall and was wondering whether to get clear or pearlescent. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Nick one from work

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Do I detect someone is taking the piss? ???

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Wouldn't it be better to buy Maxim bulbs as they are based in Burgess Hill.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Get a pearl bulb as the clear ones are well dodgy if you accidently glance at them and you get image burn from the filament inside the bulb. Better still , buy a energy efficient bulb as they will use less leccy and last longer.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
seagullsovergrimsby said:
Get a pearl bulb as the clear ones are well dodgy if you accidently glance at them and you get image burn from the filament inside the bulb. Better still , buy a energy efficient bulb as they will use less leccy and last longer.

I had heard that the energy efficient ones took a little while to get to maximum output so could this be a little dangerous in a stairwell.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
dougdeep said:
Wouldn't it be better to buy Maxim bulbs as they are based in Burgess Hill.

Didn't they use to be in Hurstpierpoint?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We have a Philips 18w in the bathroom and it comes on instantly. There are some bulbs available which take 3 or 4 seconds to "warm" up which are unsuitable if being used in a hallway or stairwell.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Theatre of Trees said:
Screw in or bayonet?

Bayonet. Always considered `screw in` the upstarts of the light bulb world.
I would never have one in the house and find it quite incredible that they have become so popular over the last few years.

And don`t get me started on low voltage spots or I`ll never stop.
BASTARDS

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The problem with screw in bulbs is that they sometimes go in at a slight angle and dont look central to the light fitting whereas a bayonet locks into position and doesn't wobble. The worst bulbs to change over are halogen spots as they are such a tight fit and you have to use that plastic sucker contraption to remove and put a new one in.

bhafan

Aug 1, 2003
Burgess Hill
If you have a dimmer you won't be able to use an energy saving bulb but if you can get the energy saver they do last 7-10 times longer than a normal one. Good news if it's hard to get to at the top of the stairs

:mexican:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
bhafan said:
If you have a dimmer you won't be able to use an energy saving bulb but if you can get the energy saver they do last 7-10 times longer than a normal one.

How about if you turn the normal one down really low on the dimmer, how much energy will that save?

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
I'm a fan of bayonet, but always hates having to push against the bulb that little bit to make it go in before you turn it. Always worry that one day it's going to shatter and cut me to RIBBONS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here