"Life of Riley" Reply from the Beeb

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Got to give them credit for replying:

Dear Mr TRHK

Thanks for your e-mail regarding 'The Life of Riley'.

I understand you feel the above programme is unrealistic, unfunny nonsense.

While we try to provide a wide range of programmes across our television output that will be of interest to every section of our audience, there will inevitably be times, hopefully rare, when what is on offer does not meet your own particular interests. Research shows us that in a typical week we do provide a substantial number of programmes which everyone can enjoy, but I'm sorry that you have been disappointed with the choice on offer recently.

I'd like to take a moment to assure you that your comments have been registered on our audience log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that's circulated to many BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive Board, channel controllers and other senior managers. It's also published on our intranet site, so it's available for all staff to view. In addition to this, we regularly compile tailored audience feedback reports for specific programmes so they can have an overview of all contacts received about their series. If a report's compiled relating to this issue, then your comments will also appear here.

Thanks for taking the time to contact us with your concerns.

Regards

[Oddly, at no point did I say it was unfunny in my comments...wonder where that came from??]

Last edited by a moderator:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Your thread title reminded me of this song I haven't heard for years, sorry to go off topic so soon into the thread!

[yt]boPhDRug_SQ&feature[/yt]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oddly, at no point did I say it was unfunny in my comments...wonder where that came from??
Perhaps the bloke who replied to you has also seen it? ???

Afterall, it is without doubt one of the shittest programmes on the tellybox, and certainly one of the least funny.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
So judging from that if we send in enough complaints they might actually take notice. I didn't see the programme but just from watching the trailers (in which they always show the "funniest bits") I feel justified to write a letter

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Your thread title reminded me of this song I haven't heard for years, sorry to go off topic so soon into the thread!

[yt]boPhDRug_SQ&feature[/yt]

that is exactly it mate. some wanker has had the tune in his head, then simply decided that it would be a good name for a sitcom with a family called riley, and on the back of a fag packet sketched it out the entire wafer thin premise in two seconds, put in the consistently unfunny caroline quentin just to ensure no one will think sexual thoughts whilst watching it, then gone off to the bogs in soho house for another line well pleased with themselves, using a note that has indirectly come from your licence fee.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
That is more or less a standard reply from the BBC.
Judging by comments on various TV forums about this programme it looks like a standard reply e-mail sent out to possibly several hundred complainants , who opted to have a reply.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
i saw the trailer for it and could tell just from that it would be shit.

They've obviously sat there brainstorming well known phrases for the title of a sit-com not yet written.

next to come are 2 in a bush, Don't count your chickens and Would you Adam & Eve it!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
, put in the consistently unfunny caroline quentin just to ensure no one will think sexual thoughts whilst watching it,

My mate is her postman. Do you want me to get him to tell her how shit she is?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I switched over after 40 seconds , the canned laughter from a "live" audience was the warning signal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here