Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Libya

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Wow they really look finished. Ive never seen their government look so defeated , admitting fear of the other side. Amazing - history in the making. What next though.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
When Gaddafi is gone, then the west will be regretting yet again they have interfered in a foreign land. Another tribal oil war, wasn't anything learnt from Iraq?

Yea, we let them snuff out the bad guys.:)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I wonder just when political and military intervention in the affairs of a sovereign nation by other nations is deemed legal and when it's deemed illegal ?

I also wonder why the headquarters of the UN is based in New York ???

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Great. Worth it then!

Only jesting

I am proud the UN got involved Gadaffi is a monster, he has killed hundreds of thousands of people.

But i am sceptical of why we got involved and its usually mostly oil, i just hope that Libya finds peace.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Maybe his old pal Tony Blair will give Gaddafi sanctuary and a nice lucrative deal on the lecture circuit......

Seriously though I fear Gaddafi will not go quietly without trying to cause further misery somehow, maybe some sort of trap for the rebels? Does he have access to chemical weapons?

Secondly I fear for stability in the area as those from his tribe seek some form of revenge for Gaddafi. Could be years of chaos similar to Iraq especially if there is no obvious leadership among the rebels. We all hope that NATO involvement can be scaled down asap but fear they might get sucked into a protracted peace keeping role. With Libya's proximity to southern europe it will not be good to have an unstable state close by. Anyway with precious oil resources at stake I can see NATO remaining around for quite a while. It will be interesting to see the power struggle among the French, British and others to gain influence over the oil supplies.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Seriously though I fear Gaddafi will not go quietly without trying to cause further misery somehow, maybe some sort of trap for the rebels? Does he have access to chemical weapons?

Oddly Aljezeria on twitter just said that .

AJELive AJELive
Witness tells Al Jazeera #Libya's Green Square not taken, residents fear remote bombings, chemical weapons

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
2243: The Libyan ambassador to the UN, Ibrahim Dabbashi - who has defected from the regime - tells the BBC that he has been told 90% Tripoli is now in rebel hands. "We are expecting to capture Gaddafi in the next few hours and maybe to catch his high officials. This is the end of the regime and with the fall of Tripoli I think all the other cities will follow and all his supporters will give up."

Im really tied but cant turn the news of just want this monster to go

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Too true. I am always wary of the government motives, particularly in oil rich nations. If only the petrol companies would take any notice of whats happening with the barrel. They just keep putting it up and up ..,.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Gaddafi is a dog, don't ever trust the man, he will, if he can, afflict monumental damage to the libyan people in any guise possible. Chemical? Who Knows? We all know one thing though, he's a gonna!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
more worryingly, he is very willing for people to die for him. He knows that he will be either killed or in the Hague if he leaves. Nobody will have him, even Venezuela, so feel that he will go for Martyrdom and fight to the end. Sure he would go for suicide route near the end.

So was Hitler, Saddam, Idi Amin etc.......... remember these dictators were not in power to serve their people.

He will be toppled

It's a shame Zimbabwe doesn't have oil.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Too true. I am always wary of the government motives, particularly in oil rich nations. If only the petrol companies would take any notice of whats happening with the barrel. They just keep putting it up and up ..,.

The price of oil has fallen recently. It's the tax that's keeping it sky high

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Because they pay for most of it.

Yes, you pay extra to travel 1st class don't you. Amazing what you can get for your money in international politics, even when you continually default on the bill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here