Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lib/Lab Partnership

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Oh yes I agree. However he doesn't look keen on being seen as the man who allows the 'loser' to stay in power. I suspect that we'll see a Tory minority government, with the Lib Dems supporting them as and when it suits, in exchange for some minor concessions but NOT electoral reform.

But would they support a Queen's Speech, and a Tory Budget?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The Conservatives should be allowed to form a government.They would be restricted by a strong opposition bench which would curb rightwing excesses.The Liberals might care to support such a minority govt without a formal alliance,but as they are virtually the socilaist party from the 80's it is unlikely they will form a pact unless they get electoral reform which the Ruperts won't like.

How the Conservatives can make decisions for Scotland and Wales would remain a mystery.Their four MP's in those countries hardly gives them credence there.

More threads on another general election soon. ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This will almost certainly be on the condition of a referendum on electoral reform, when he doesn't get this he'll go to Gordon.

That's why, I reckon Brown will be gone within a month.

Part of the LIb negotions with Labour will be PR and no Brown.

At least he has stuck to what he said before the Election.

I just cannot see the Tories giving up the FPTP system.

Agree with all of this. In one month, Broon will be gone and we'll have a lib lab pact led by Jedward Milliband or SuBalls.

Oh yes I agree. However he doesn't look keen on being seen as the man who allows the 'loser' to stay in power. I suspect that we'll see a Tory minority government, with the Lib Dems supporting them as and when it suits, in exchange for some minor concessions but NOT electoral reform.

Simon Hughes around 9.00 am really linging up liberals for a progressive coalition, people like him, would not stand it, lets not forget Clegg only won the leadership by a few votes.

With lots of rumourings of fixing votes at a local level.

On principles, if Clegg doen't gor for PR, he can say goodbye to the LIbs being a force in Politics.

None of the big two have a manDATE for control. 36% is poor.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
What is best for the country though? A Con/Lib pact and electoral reform is the OBVIOUS answer.

But Dave 'down wit da yoot' Cameron catagorically stated he opposed PR. Shirley he won't go back on his word? It's his bond, izit..

How the Conservatives can make decisions for Scotland and Wales would remain a mystery.Their four MP's in those countries hardly gives them credence there.

That's the fault of the silly halfway independence that we have now though, isn't it? Previously, it would not have been an issue, as we voted for a British Prime Minister, not an English one; the complaint is no more valid than me saying that Labour have no mandate to make decisions for the East of England, as they only have 2 MPs in the region.

As it is, Scotland and Wales have their own parliaments, which make some decisions, and yet also take part in a completely different system, which makes some other decisions. IMHO it's completely crazy.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I wouldn't give a shit if it looked like a stitch up, Clegg should not give up on this chance for PR. Libs should have 150 seats based on their share of the vote, and would possibly get even more if people didn't think their vote would be wasted.

Of course, Cameron could do the right thing and put out an olive branch to Labour and LIberals.

1.We will work together for 18 months. Then another election.

2. No front line staff cuts in NHS, POlice, Defence.

3. Corporation Tax to be reduced by 1.5% to be reviewed, but not for the banks.

4. Agree to reform of Banking system.

5. Form, Treasury coalition with Bank of England, other parties.

6. Agre to Lib DEms child credit cuts.

7. Agree to 10,000 k income tax threshold.

8. More selective cuts in Civil Service, Education. Continuation of Sure Start with no means testing.

Most Labour politicians could also agree to this and is enough policy for any Government to handle.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Looks like the Liberals will let Cameron sink all on his own................12-18 months max then bye bye Tories

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Cleggy has stuck to his guns then and announced that he feels that the party with the most votes and seats - the Tories - should have first dibs at forming a government. Good man.

That's big of him. Its not his decision to take. The sitting government get the first go. Those are the rules*

*not that they can do much with that shot, if Clegg won't play with them.

There seem to be a lot of people going along with the line that because the Lib Dems and Labour are both broadly centre-left, it's okay for them to unite and claim the popular vote. However I voted Lib Dem for some very specific reasons, and would most certainly NOT have done so had the ballot sheet had one or two candidates with 'Liberal Democrat/Labour coalition candidate' as their party.

That's big of him. Its not his decision to take. The sitting government get the first go. Those are the rules*

*not that they can do much with that shot, if Clegg won't play with them.

hkfc, that's the point. Clegg seems to be saying that he won't deal with Labour first up, thereby denying them any chance of forging a government. It really is his decision.

But Blair had (I believe only) 37% in 2005.

I don't disagree, last time I looked labour had only had a swing of - 6.3 %.

From what I can gather Blair was totally againgst PR, and after the first election, you cannot blame hime for not rolling it out.

Brown has seen for a long time the need for PR to maintain a progressive Government.

If Clegg believes in a Progressive future he must line up with Brown and others.

If he wants first past the post and yet another failed Liberal leader, go to bed with Dave.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

From what I can gather Blair was totally againgst PR, and after the first election, you cannot blame hime for not rolling it out.

Brown has seen for a long time the need for PR to maintain a progressive Government.

If Clegg believes in a Progressive future he must line up with Brown and others.

If he wants first past the post and yet another failed Liberal leader, go to bed with Dave.

This.

There seem to be a lot of people going along with the line that because the Lib Dems and Labour are both broadly centre-left, it's okay for them to unite and claim the popular vote. However I voted Lib Dem for some very specific reasons, and would most certainly NOT have done so had the ballot sheet had one or two candidates with 'Liberal Democrat/Labour coalition candidate' as their party.

Sir, you may be principled than others. In London and the north east, the Liberals are deifinately seen a wealth distributing, non Iraq war part ie old Labour.

Ms LC voted a combination of LIb DEms and Labour under our full range of elections. An as I said earlier the Liberal TEam and candidate in Hackney Southactually said to me, the Liberal left have more in common with the Labour left than the right of his own party.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

So Brown is only interested in it because he can't win with FPTP. LD wouldn't want AV anyway and there would be no certainity that Labour would stay together if we moved to true PR.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

hkfc, that's the point. Clegg seems to be saying that he won't deal with Labour first up, thereby denying them any chance of forging a government. It really is his decision.
Indeed. It's not that Clegg won't deal with Labour, but he won't deal with Labour while Gordon is running the show.

Maybe Brown should have known better than to refer to Clegg's party glibly as "the liberals" for the past ten years. Lack of respect, you see.

Indeed. It's not that Clegg won't deal with Labour, but he won't deal with Labour while Gordon is running the show.

Maybe Brown should have known better than to refer to Clegg's party glibly as "the liberals" for the past ten years. Lack of respect, you see.

Lets not forget Blair also stitched up Ashdown back in 1997, again, Blair should had agreed to Liberals in that first cabinet, because people certainly tactically voted to keep the tories out then.

As they have also just done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here