Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lib Dems call for return to 'safe' standing on terraces

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
LibDems call for free beer and topless barmaids in all pubs.LibDems call for free cash gift of £1,000 for every citizen breathing every December 1st to pay for Christmas.LibDems demand,DEMAND,12 weeks paid holiday for everybody - except teachers who will get an extra two weeks on whatever they currently get.LibDems call for jam,both today and tomorrow.

LibDems can call for whatever populist thing they want,because there is no chance of them having to follow through.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Promising to investigate it, but no clear promises it'll happen, although certainly a vote winner among football fans.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Doubt it, as most footy fans know it's got about as much chance of happening as a John Terry celebacy vow.

I dont really think so, proper safe standing sections hold about as much risk as just sitting, making them legal should be easy, getting clubs to adopt them will be the harder part i'd imagine

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
All-seater stadiums retain the firm support of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, which states: "There's no such thing as safe standing."
Of course there is, you see it all the time at railway stations etc.

Completely safe as long as there are guidelines on the number of barriers, eg staggered barriers every 10 steps.

Whilst UKIP is a clear anti-EU protest vote, the LibDems have a decent chance of having power in the not too distant future, once PR is in place; and they have promised an in-or-out vote on EU membership if further increase to EU powers are put forward. Thats got to be attractive to UKIP supporters

Indeed, and whilst we are still in Europe, I want us to play a full role in influencing EEC policy. And Lib Dems are also dead against the identity cards for British citzens (which cost out at around £100 per head). These will just end up getting forged. And they also want to retain the current nuclear deterrent, which is perfectly adequate in today's world.
If I think they can boot Labour out of Mansfield then I'll definitely switch from my "protest" vote.

Up here, at Carlisle United, there's a lot of standing area allocated for supporters - and as normal, some fans seem to stand in seated areas (away stand in particular).

It occurs to me that it's awkward to have to impose a change upon any club that gets promoted from league 1, to such an expensive extent.
Although the 'old days' had too much standing area in my opinion, there ought to be terraces at all clubs for those who do prefer to stand.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
LibDems call for free beer and topless barmaids in all pubs.LibDems call for free cash gift of £1,000 for every citizen breathing every December 1st to pay for Christmas.LibDems demand,DEMAND,12 weeks paid holiday for everybody - except teachers who will get an extra two weeks on whatever they currently get.LibDems call for jam,both today and tomorrow.

LibDems can call for whatever populist thing they want,because there is no chance of them having to follow through.

:facepalm: where's your evidence for this?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Even if adopted what would the chances be on falmer having standing areas?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
David Bellotti is still a TWAT and told us we would have a new stadium etc etc

I am sure there are other pro terracing partys out there that do not contain TWAT's that were very close to killing our club.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I wonder how many of the people advocating the return of terraces on here have avctually stood on them, people tend to forget tha absolutely shocking state of stadia twenty odd years ago, i for one have always preferede seats, its rubbish that you cant have a good atmosphere with seats, i regularly take my 6 and 8 year old to football, it would be a nightmare on the terraces.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
, i regularly take my 6 and 8 year old to football, it would be a nightmare on the terraces.

Well continue to sit in the seats and let others have the choice of standing.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Well continue to sit in the seats and let others have the choice of standing.
i will, where did i say that there shouldnt be terracing , read my post before you jump down my throat, i wondered how many people advocating the return of terracing had actually stood on them ? i have stood on plenty of packed teraces and cannot believe that some of the more *ahem* left leaning posters on here are sincere in their desire to see their return or that they are being truthful in stating how much they enjoyed them.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Are there??

All the major partys seem to have supporters of managed terracing, Tony Blair was one, the Tories said they would put forward a parlimentary debate/paper if 100,000 people sign a petition and the Lib Dems have said they would also support a return to safe standing.

Polls often show lots of support and having seen a game in Germany you can see how its works when managed.

It must be my age but I am getting used to a seats a decent view and okay toilets and the stuff I put up with as a teenager may not be so good in todays light. However I would not want to deprive others of the chance to experience this as long as it does not lead to serious incidents.

I am unsure any of the main parties would have the political will or might to change the recomendations of the Taylor report. They will not want to be seen as responable for any future injuries or loss of life due to a return to managed terracing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here