Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Hammans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There aren't really the words are there. Just awful, my heart goes out to you. Sincere condolences.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
So sorry to read this, he sounded an incredible boy. Thoughts and best wishes with you and your family.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Just writing this for my own selfish/cathartic reasons, but I've been here long enough to know that sometimes it helps ease some pain.

My lad died this morning at 5am. He had Muscular Dystrophy so we knew this day would come for the last 17 years, but it was still very unexpected. He was a massive Brighton fan, which was my fault. We were season ticket holders at Withdean and I used to park his wheelchair under the steps of south stand and carry him up the stairs to his seat. We would discuss the games on the way home, listening to Radio Sussex.

In the move to the Amex, I spunked my redundancy on a 1901 seat, primarily so he could stay warm before, at HT, and after games, and we have had seats there since the Amex opened. We travelled home and away together, his first away game being Northampton, and the number of away grounds he went to increased well into the forties.

He was a mainstay of the Brighton Hove Albion Powerchair football team, playing for them for 8-9 years, scoring more than 170 goals in that time. He was top goal scorer in the country in 2016/17 season, qualifying for Champions League football, where BHAPFC finished 5th in Europe.

He never got to represent his country in powerchair football, which was his dream, but he was close. He did participate in a Paralympic sport called Boccia, and did qualify for England playing tournaments in Moscow and Prague. He missed out on Rio Paralympics by 1 place, finishing several years as England number 2, and GB number 4.

He suffered 6 cardiac arrests since Friday morning, and the staff at RSCH were brilliant. Air ambulance in Lindfield in early hours of Friday, and scenes from ER on Friday / Sat. Stabilised after that and yesterday, we thought we saw light at end of long tunnel, but 5&6 happened in quick succession this morning. They got him going after 5, but could not after 6.

That was my boy, and I miss him so much. The pain is unbearable, and so I thought I'd type some stuff to help me remember all the stuff we did together. Buckleys Sore Hamstring never posted much, but will not post again, and I have no idea where to turn. We are all in bits.:cry::down:

I have no words, how can anything I say help - other than to mention you have without doubt been a wonderful father to your fantastic son. I bet he made you proud. What a full life he lived - and in time I hope that you can remember those good times that you shared together.

So, so sad, thoughts are with you at this time.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Just writing this for my own selfish/cathartic reasons, but I've been here long enough to know that sometimes it helps ease some pain.

My lad died this morning at 5am. He had Muscular Dystrophy so we knew this day would come for the last 17 years, but it was still very unexpected. He was a massive Brighton fan, which was my fault. We were season ticket holders at Withdean and I used to park his wheelchair under the steps of south stand and carry him up the stairs to his seat. We would discuss the games on the way home, listening to Radio Sussex.

In the move to the Amex, I spunked my redundancy on a 1901 seat, primarily so he could stay warm before, at HT, and after games, and we have had seats there since the Amex opened. We travelled home and away together, his first away game being Northampton, and the number of away grounds he went to increased well into the forties.

He was a mainstay of the Brighton Hove Albion Powerchair football team, playing for them for 8-9 years, scoring more than 170 goals in that time. He was top goal scorer in the country in 2016/17 season, qualifying for Champions League football, where BHAPFC finished 5th in Europe.

He never got to represent his country in powerchair football, which was his dream, but he was close. He did participate in a Paralympic sport called Boccia, and did qualify for England playing tournaments in Moscow and Prague. He missed out on Rio Paralympics by 1 place, finishing several years as England number 2, and GB number 4.

He suffered 6 cardiac arrests since Friday morning, and the staff at RSCH were brilliant. Air ambulance in Lindfield in early hours of Friday, and scenes from ER on Friday / Sat. Stabilised after that and yesterday, we thought we saw light at end of long tunnel, but 5&6 happened in quick succession this morning. They got him going after 5, but could not after 6.

That was my boy, and I miss him so much. The pain is unbearable, and so I thought I'd type some stuff to help me remember all the stuff we did together. Buckleys Sore Hamstring never posted much, but will not post again, and I have no idea where to turn. We are all in bits.:cry::down:

Keep strong and regards your last paragraph keep posting on here and reach out if you need help there will be many on here who are willing to help.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

massive respect to you and your boy , him for his determination to do something with his life despite huge disadvantages and you for supporting him...R.I.P young man and i am very sorry for your sad loss mate.....x

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What an incredibly moving story. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

It sounded like you really did help him live his life to the fullest he possibly could. I hope you're able to take some comfort in that.

Incredibly moving posts, from both Lewis' Dad and Uncle.

utterly at a loss, at what - if anything - to write.

Can only reiterate what Badger says, here.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
So sorry for your loss.

I am sure that in time you will be able to reflect with nothing but immense pride for a life brilliantly lived in very difficult circumstances.

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
I don't know you, and I didn't know your son. That said I'm sat in my office in tears. Such a moving post - I think you were lucky to have each other, albeit too briefly. He sounded like a fantastic lad. I hope the pain becomes more bearable. No father deserves to be where you are today.

I'm going squeeze both my lads tonight and count my lucky stars, be more grateful for the blessings I have.

RIP Lewis

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
No more to add except to say that your lad was lucky to have been surrounded by such a loving family. NSC is here for you.

I'll be thinking of you when we kick off against Leicester.

Oct 6, 2010
I am in the same 1901 lounge as you. This is so sad. We will all miss Lewis’s smiling face. I’m not sure if you will still be coming to games. But if and when you are ready to. We will all be there to support you, however we can. RIP Albion legend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
Hi Chris,
Sending my deepest condolences to you and your family.
Lewis was a truly amazing and inspirational lad, as your incredibly moving post testifies ... just as you are an equally amazing dad, enabling him to do and achieve so much.
Thinking of you at this sad time.
Hang in there buddy !
x

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011

All the best to you and your family, Sounds like your son was a good lad and led an amazing life for someone suffering from MD.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Hello sir...

Thank you for having the courage to have posted to the Albion family. We are all going to be deeply moved reading your sad news.
I don't have the words to describe how sad I feel for your loss.I'm sure Lewis accomplished more in his short life than many of us will ever do. I hope you can take this with you through your life and remember that you gave him so much love and support for him to have reached the stars in such a positive way.

May you rest in peace young man.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My sincere condolences.

I simply hope that the memories of the marvellous relationship you have bring comfort in the future.

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
What an incredibly uplifting yet terribly sad story. Both Lewis and yourself will be inspirational for others in your position for years to come. You have proved there is no limit to what can be achieved despite the hand dealt you.

Congratulations on having such a wonderful son and thank you for being an equally wonderful father.

RIP Lewis

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So sorry for your and your family's losses. There isn't much I can add to the lovely, thoughtful words that have already been written about two people who sound truly inspirational.

But I know that NSC has a fantastic track record of pulling together and coming up trumps in real times of need for people, so use it/us. The vast majority of us won't know what you're going through, but there'll always be someone online to engage at the times you need to (or want to).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here