Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Hamilton

Gullywog

Blackbird
Sep 12, 2008
Well we agree on one thing, England are not world class.

Just because Man United and Chelsea compete with each other, it doesn't make them world class. What makes them world class is their ability to compete at the highest level, ie Europe. As TEAMS, I'd put them among the best, so they'd be in a strong position were we to debate world class teams. However, the argument is world class BRITISH INDIVIDUALS. I don't see any British player in those teams who is the best in the world. In fact, I don't see any British player at a top four club who's even the best player at his club, let alone the world.

I'm not trying to belittle Lampard. He's a good player. But he's not the best in the world, nor is he even close. He's also never done anything at international level - something you can't accuse the likes of Messi and Torres of. As such, he's not world class.

Arguably Messi hasn't done anything at International Level, unless you count Copa America as the pinnacle.

The top four's best players;

Man Utd: Tevez/Ronaldo
Chelsea: Drogba/Essien
Liverpool: Torres
Arsenal: Fabregas

No Brits :thumbsup:

Gullywog

Blackbird
Sep 12, 2008
TCB, what is your opinion on Women's sport, can a woman be World Class at anything (SPORT)??

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He's also never done anything at international level

I would agree that he's not 'world' class in the sense that he probably would not get into a World XI, but you can't argue with 14 goals for his country, and 9 for the Under 21's, a record only beaten by two other players in England's history.

Gullywog

Blackbird
Sep 12, 2008
Tough one. On one hand no woman will ever be better than a man at any sport. Tennis is probably the only one where the womens game is given equal coverage, and if you put the best woman up against the 200th best man she'd lose.

But, on the other, women aren't given the opportunity to compete with men.

If a woman does something better than a man then she CAN be world class, but in my opinion it's never happened so no.

Your thoughts, Mr Wog?

I don't mean to be sexist, but there is no way of saying this without sounding sexist.

I am not the least bit interested in Women's sport unless it involves racy photos of attractive ladies, the Olympics for me confirmed my opinion on this, as I couldn't care let alone tell you who won for example the Women's 100m.

I am not interest in watching something that is about being the best done slower/less than the men's equivalent.

But if it makes them happy to run around the track while people have toilet stops and beer refills, then let them have their cake too... just don't televise/report it to me.

Gullywog

Blackbird
Sep 12, 2008
Womens sport is, essentially, the link between mens sport and the paralympics. I agree with your sentiments. Unless a women can compete and beat a male peer, what is the point of her achievements?

I have never thought of it like that, but it is an interesting angle to ponder.

Perhaps the OLYMPICS could be just the male events, we could have them all done in half the time.

Then let the women and paralympians compete in the PARALYMPICS, perhaps it could be a medal table of Women vs Male Paralympians. I wouldn't be able to call it, but I expect it would be quite close and would almost make good television for correct reasons.

What are other people's opinions on "World Class" women/paralympians?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Another thread ruined.

Gullywog

Blackbird
Sep 12, 2008
Was it ruined because there were no spelling mistakes you could point out? Or because it hasn't been debated before so you couldn't HILARIOUSLY post "fixtures"?

All I see is a good, honest exchange of views between several posters. If you don't like it, DO ONE:bigwave:

take me now!! :blush:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Was it ruined because there were no spelling mistakes you could point out? Or because it hasn't been debated before so you couldn't HILARIOUSLY post "fixtures"?

All I see is a good, honest exchange of views between several posters. If you don't like it, DO ONE:bigwave:

No need to be rude sir. It just seems that every thread ends up the same, half of the posts could be done by pm. This board has gone downhill badly in the last few months.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here