Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Hamilton

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
My idea of WORLD class means a) you compete in a worldwide sport that is played seriously all year round, and b) you're the BEST at what you do. How many footballers, cricketers, or rugby players pass those criteria? Lewis is the BEST - end of story. You'll probably tell me John Terry is world class because he's the 30th best centre back in the world.

world class does not mean you are the "BEST" at what you do... you need to learn what world class means.

JT is a ****

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
My idea of WORLD class means a) you compete in a worldwide sport that is played seriously all year round, and b) you're the BEST at what you do. How many footballers, cricketers, or rugby players pass those criteria? Lewis is the BEST - end of story. You'll probably tell me John Terry is world class because he's the 30th best centre back in the world.

What a weird argument....

All sports (motorsport included) have world class athletes, just because they aren't under your nose on the telly everyday or weekend, doesn't mean they are any less world class.

Lewis is a good ambassador for motorsport - but he isn't what I'd call a "sportsman", for one he's in the position he's as as his Dad could afford to get him going in his early years, you can't say that about many athletes, money can't buy ability when it comes to running a marathon!

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
For me it does. Either THE best, or if the best is not clear-cut then you're as good as the other best contenders. I don't see any footballer, cricketer, or rugby player who fall into that category.

OK, well based on incorrect definitions, I too, could make baseless claims.

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
Of course it depends on your definition of world class, I don't deny that. But, for me, someone who's reached the top of a great sport is world class. Someone who only succeeds in underachieving in an England shirt (as part of a failing team) is not.

OK, who is a world class footballer then by your definition?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Of course it depends on your definition of world class, I don't deny that. But, for me, someone who's reached the top of a great sport is world class. Someone who only succeeds in underachieving in an England shirt (as part of a failing team) is not.

Only problem is that Motor Racing is not a sport.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Ah, there's that money argument again. Why do you feel that even MATTERS? Andy Murray is, I'm guessing, only where he is today because his family could afford to get him facilities and coaching that others dream about. Manchester United are a great team because they have lots of money. Money talks - that's not the debate. I'm looking past that, and seeing purely how talented and successful a sportsman is. Background doesn't matter. At the end of the season Lewis will be champion regardless of what his dad paid for.

And how is he not a sportsman? You need supreme fitness to drive a formula 1 car for two hours, surely that makes him a sportsman?

Of course money matters - why do you think the cyclists are doing so well, they got a massive grant for new facilities a few years ago, their medals are the result of years of hard work, but also money to help them develop in new state of the art facilities.

Yes he is a sportsman, but not in the league of marathon runners, tour de france cyclists, 1.5km rowers, or swimmers from my perspective. Its a different league entirely.

I'm not taking anything away from Lewis at all, I think he's fantastic, all I'm trying to say is I don't think you can compare him to athletes, its like comparing apples and oranges.

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
Erm, ok, I hadn't really thought about it so my answer may not be great. I'm just 100% sure no Englishman would be anywhere close.

I'd say Lionel Messi definitely is, I'd say Torres. Kaka too. I'd have to think about it to come up with a longer list.

I'm only asking because the most recent successful team, on a world stage, is Italy. And by your most recent definition it seems their team has to be successful for an individual to be world class. Correct me if I'm wrong.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My interpretation of world class is that you are in the elite bunch of sports man that are top of your sport and always in contention to be classed as the best.

mattb

Mar 18, 2008
I would agree, BensGrandad. Britain has plenty of those (although, granted, not too many that I would call "the best in the world").

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
Erm, ok, I hadn't really thought about it so my answer may not be great. I'm just 100% sure no Englishman would be anywhere close.

I'd say Lionel Messi definitely is, I'd say Torres. Kaka too. I'd have to think about it to come up with a longer list.

:laugh: you can not be serious

you have just named 3 of the 5 best players in the world, arguably. are you saying no one else can compete at that level?

i'm 100% sure (just as you are) that every football club in the world would welcome ferdinand, gerrard, lampard and rooney into their squads (at least!). I'd go as far as to say that those players would walk into every football club on the planet.

just because they disappoint as a team at international standard does not mean they are not world class individual footballers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here