Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Hamilton

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
How about McClaren? Is that a name that makes you proud to be English?

:lolol:

If your talking about Steve then hell no I am not proud to be associated with the useless pillock:censored:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
People can say it's all about the quality of the car and not the driver, but there are many rookie (and not so-rookie) drivers who would have wobbled under the pressure from Alonso at some point, and made a mistake.

Hamilton seems to have nerves of steel, he just doesn't seem to make mistakes, and that is what separates him from other rookies, whether they're in a McLaren or not.

That's sums it up perfectly. There have been a number of new young drivers on the scene and experienced drivers at the better teams and they havent all performed. 7 podiums from 7 races is amazing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I couldn't tell you the last time I saw even a few minutes of a grand prix - it's been many years. Contrast today where I made a specific effort to see what time it was on and watched it from start to finish. Even Mads my 4 year old, bless her, joined me in a few shouts of "Come on Lewis" when Alonso briefly threatened to overtake.

If I'm anything of a measure, Lewis Hamilton is single-handedly reviving interest in Formula 1.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I couldn't tell you the last time I saw even a few minutes of a grand prix If I'm anything of a measure, Lewis Hamilton is single-handedly reviving interest in Formula 1.

Ditto. I lost interest in F1 a long time ago, but Hamilton has has renewed my interest in the sport. I would imagine that you and I are not alone in that.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Ditto. I lost interest in F1 a long time ago, but Hamilton has has renewed my interest in the sport. I would imagine that you and I are not alone in that.

Ditto.

Last few years it's been one of those "I'll watch it if I've nothing better to do and there's sod all else on, but I'm not that fussed either way".

The last few GPs though, particularly last week and this week, I've been making a point to watch, which I've not done in many years.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
If I'm anything of a measure, Lewis Hamilton is single-handedly reviving interest in Formula 1.

Although Lewis Hamilton has had a lot to do with F1 revival, he's not the only reason. Michael Schumacher leaving has created a more open playing field what with the driver / team changes this season.

E.g. Kimi Raikkonen went from Mclaren to Ferrari and was expected to beat Massa, which hasn't happened. Kubica and Heidfeld for Sauber have been better than expected. Kovalainen had done better than Fisichella at Renault. Mark Webber seems to be finding his feet at Red Bull and whipping David Coulthards arse.

The only teams that are disappointing at the moment are Honda, Toyota and Williams who perhaps should be getting higher grid positions than they are currently achieving.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
People can say it's all about the quality of the car and not the driver, but there are many rookie (and not so-rookie) drivers who would have wobbled under the pressure from Alonso at some point, and made a mistake.
Not only that, but its the teams engineers who rely on the feedback from their drivers to fine-tune those cars to make them super-competetive. Its easy to say "well Alonso and Hamilton have got the best cars" - but its the drivers who have worked with the team to MAKE those McLarens the (currently) best cars on the grid. Just look at how Schumacher hauled Ferrari out of the doldrums after years of doing f***-all.

Hamilton is a legend in the making. He's revived my intrerest in an ailing sport.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Agreed, even when Schumacher jacked it in, it still wouldn't have made me tune in.

But on Sunday, I sat there watching the US Grand Prix, and was pressing my foot to the floor with the best of them at the point when Alonso got level with Hamilton along the straight.

Was never interested in Damon Hill (classic case of average driver helped by great car) or Jenson Button (over-hyped ego who doesn't justify the attention), but Hamilton appears to be something else.

And the way he conducts himself is a total credit to him, how great is it to see a decent British sportsman who not only has talent, but a degree of charisma and intelligence too?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Triple agreed. Everything our man in Canadia may well be true but, I neither know nor care particularly. I watched entirely to see our boy whip some Spanish ass.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And didn't you laugh at Alonso's face during the press conference?

He was happy enough with team orders when he was in the lead earlier in the season, but when the reverse applies when Hamilton's leading, he has a face like a slapped arse, lol.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
If people are suddenly finding F1 exciting then for the love of god do yourselves a favour and watch the BTTC, DTM, Formula3000, V8Supercars (the list goes on...) as they have much more exciting races and in the DTM you can even cheer on the Scottish lass Suzie!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If people are suddenly finding F1 exciting then for the love of god do yourselves a favour and watch the BTTC, DTM, Formula3000, V8Supercars (the list goes on...) as they have much more exciting races and in the DTM you can even cheer on the Scottish lass Suzie!

I'm not saying I found it particularly exciting but my interest has heightened after years of not giving a toss.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not saying I found it particularly exciting but my interest has heightened after years of not giving a toss.

Exactement :clap2:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Suposed to be team-mates?

Did anyone else hear Trundle say that Alonso's race engineer won't share strategy details with Hamilton's crew until after the first pit-stop ...

Hardly team work there fellas!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here