Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Lewis Hamilton the greatest living British sportsman?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Need to be the GOAT in your sport as a starting point IMHO.

Greatest living English cricketer, certainly.

Being the GOAT in your sport dramatically narrows the field for the greatest living Birtish sportsman. I think probably that narrows it down to Phil Taylor and Steven Redgrave maybe.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Funnily enough I know a couple of people who think exactly the same about football :shrug:

They may not like football Icy but surely there could be no dispute it is in fact a sport.

It’s when you throw in a million pound vehicle (or whatever it cost) that eyebrows get raised.

I’ll retract though because if it’s not a sport what is it ? It’s probably just because I don’t care for it and that’s the wrong argument I guess

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They may not like football Icy but surely there could be no dispute it is in fact a sport.

It’s when you throw in a million pound vehicle (or whatever it cost) that eyebrows get raised.

I’ll retract though because if it’s not a sport what is it ? It’s probably just because I don’t care for it and that’s the wrong argument I guess

Good retraction because your personal preferences (as with everyone) aren't what really decides if something is a sport or not.

My own view is that a sport is where you are in direct competition with an opponent or measured against exactly the same metric as other competitors. For example, I would consider something like darts to be more of a sport than Ice Dance, or Gymnastics because in the latter two, you have the subjective opinion of judges.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
There is NO question about Lewis Hamilton being a sportsman AND being the best in his field of sport i.e The Greatest of All Time (GOAT) with 7 Formula1 World Titles

Other GOAT's are;

Tom Brady the Quarterback at Tampa Bay Buccaneers & previously at the New England Patriots with 7 Super Bowl Lombardi Trophies

Valentino Rossi of Moto GP fame with 9 World titles

Many others also fit the bill so I won't list them all, but the point is that they are the best in their sport, they earn lots of money because they work bloody hard on making the most of the talent they have, and they bring joy to many because most of us appreciate talent when we see it, in all it's forms.

sammybutler

Feb 8, 2021
It doesn't particularly bother me how they act away from the sport
This should be based solely on their achievements
For me its Andy Murray but in the next decade it may be Tyson Fury

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Good retraction because your personal preferences (as with everyone) aren't what really decides if something is a sport or not.

My own view is that a sport is where you are in direct competition with an opponent or measured against exactly the same metric as other competitors. For example, I would consider something like darts to be more of a sport than Ice Dance, or Gymnastics because in the latter two, you have the subjective opinion of judges.

Don’t start running Torville and Dean down or I’ll go mental.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Fair enough but remember the whole gamut of vehicles racing is covered as Motor Sport :smile:

I am quite shocked at your retraction though, how very UN NSC:lolol:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Don’t start running Torville and Dean down or I’ll go mental.

I'm not running them down. I thought they were brilliant at what they did and achieved but for 'activities' like that the difference between winning and losing can be down to the bias of one or two judges!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Need to be the GOAT in your sport as a starting point IMHO.

Greatest living English cricketer, certainly.

But he is! No pace bowler has taken as many Test wickets as Anderson. There are just a few spinners ahead of him but there aren't the pressures on the body of a spinner than there are on a pace bowler. Look at his longevity and he has proved again today, on an unfavourable pitch, why he is the greatest pace bowler of all time.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Would you also include poker and chess as sports?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm not running them down. I thought they were brilliant at what they did and achieved but for 'activities' like that the difference between winning and losing can be down to the bias of one or two judges!

It was meant as a joke Drew

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I may have posted before on this thread and i can still remember the news at the time but Jim Clark and if you ever get the chance to watch The Quiet Champion even if you don't like F1 it's a very good watch a humble and genuine man in an age of motor racing where a crash would often lead to you paying the ultimate price.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here