Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis grabban

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Unfortunately it's another deal that shows how little we are going to get for the £7m we were prepared to spend on Calleri or Bolaños, prices for strikers are just crazy now.

Anyone want to buy O'Grady? £4M should do it :lol:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Something doesn't smell right, spending £18million in 2 days ?

Who'd have thought it...little old Bournemouth...that genteel retirement home....then along comes a Russian, with money to burn and bingo....agents rubbing their hands with glee as overpriced deals fill their already bulging bank balances and this ego-fuelled journey continues infront of 11,000 bewildered, hardly daring to dream fans. Eddie continues to give his smug, tight-lipped, self satisfied interviews, challenging Sean Dyche for the title of the most blinkered manager in the 92 and the rest of football take a deep breath, drink it in but then realise that we have all fallen for the romantic storyline. Emotionally mugged in an industry where sentiment comes a distant second.

D

Deleted member 22389

For the sake and future of AFC Bournemouth let's hope they don't get relegated because they will be paying Premiership wages on crowds of less that 11,000. The money wont last long.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
For the sake and future of AFC Bournemouth let's hope they don't get relegated because they will be paying Premiership wages on crowds of less that 11,000. That money wouldn't last long.

Relegation would lead to a nose dive for plucky bournemouth I think. Couple of months of full houses and we'll bounce back talk then crowds dropping like a stone as reality bites.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Grabban's agent has had a good 2 years: 24 months ago he manages to engineer a new deal that betters our offer; 6 months later his man is sold to Norwich on what you'd have to assume was an increased wage; 12 months after that, it's promotion and naturally a wage increase that would be part of any deal; then in another 6 months he's sold at a fee that would go alongside another large increase and is back where he started!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It definitely looks like Bournemouth are having their 'Pompey summer' right now. I don't really understand the Russian investment on a small club with an inadequate ground that would probably never have a 20k crowd in an expanded stadium. This really does smell of an oligarch toy, ready to be dispensed of when passed its sell by date, and who would buy it as a going concern? It makes no money, it has tiny crowds and a pretty crap infrastructure and now high playing wages bill. Nevertheless, Bournemouth fans are used to basement football, so it won't come as such a big shock when they plummet, as it has to Portsmouth.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Grabban's agent has had a good 2 years: 24 months ago he manages to engineer a new deal that betters our offer; 6 months later his man is sold to Norwich on what you'd have to assume was an increased wage; 12 months after that, it's promotion and naturally a wage increase that would be part of any deal; then in another 6 months he's sold at a fee that would go alongside another large increase and is back where he started!

We dodged a bullet there. Grabban should be renamed Grabber (money)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Something doesn't smell right, spending £18million in 2 days ?

Premier league money. A drop in the ocean. As long as you stay there of course. That and your mysterious Russian doesn't disappear.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Whatever the rights and wrongs of their funding Bournemouth are only doing what we would be obliged to do in seeking to consolidate their place in the PL. Spending £20m on transfers in this window will be very good business if it secures them another and even more lucrative season.

They've chosen a really good season to arrive in the PL with the top four misfiring and several other clubs having a mare, allowing Bournemouth to harvest points that would be unlikely in most other PL seasons. No excuses for Bournemouth now.

I'm confident that Tony Bloom would do what's necessary to consolidate in the PL when the time comes. However it would be nice to benefit from a similar roll of the form book dice too...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We dodged a bullet there. Grabban should be renamed Grabber (money)

To a point. Although I wouldn't have minded making £5m on the deal in 18 months. Similar to the Ulloa scenario, unless I'm mistaken... ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To a point. Although I wouldn't have minded making £5m on the deal in 18 months. Similar to the Ulloa scenario, unless I'm mistaken... ???

He got a pay rise from Bournemouth using us as lever, he then got sold to Norwich, so another cut out of the transfer fee, and one presumes a pay rise, then back to Bournemouth with a cut of the increased transfer fee.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Interesting that Bournemouth are happy to trust Grabban's commitment to the Club (again). OK he might get them some important goals and keep them in the PL or be useful in the Championship should they get relegated. Must be some question as to how long he will remain devoted to the cause rather than his wallet.

In recent weeks the local paper in these parts has been suggesting how Grabban's head had already been turned pre-season and implying how moody he has been behind the scenes at Norwich. With several other strikers on their books he wasn't guaranteed first team footie and supposedly didn't show he was prepared to work his way back into the Manager's thinking.

Could face a similar scenario at Bournemouth once all their strikers are fit. So how long before Grabban (or his agent) get itchy feet?

I'm pleased we didn't indulge him.

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
So he has increased £5 million in value since joining Norwich 18 months ago by scoring 12 in 36 Championship games and 1 in 8 PL games.. Utterly bizarre panic buy.

It's not that his value has necessarily increased by £5M, it's just that he had a £3M buyout clause in his contract when at Bournemouth before, so there was no reason for Norwich to pay any more than that.

As to whether he's worth £8M now, I really don't think so but obviously Eddie thinks differently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here