Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Grabban

Aug 4, 2011
There is no proof about this and it's just something I heard but apparently he was all ready to sign for Brighton and complete the deal but wanted guaranteed first team football everyweek on signing. Which they told him they can't do that and therefore at Bournemouth to play in the first team but who knows what the reason actually is but it's a shame he could have done well here just hope we can sort put some more goals in the next few games!

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Extraordinary run in March - 19 points from 24 which will give Eddie Howe manager of the month.

It is not inconceivable that they will be one of those teams that come from nowhere to get into the playoffs. And football does tend to write scripts that sees Burnley go up automatically and Eddie Howe joining them.

Or that Burnley, without Ings and Vokes, drop out of auto and meet Bournemouth in the play-off semis.........

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Complete bull, you don't get to the point of even talking to a player if they are not aware of a wage offer, let alone agreeing a price tag ???

ooo angry man ha ha

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I do worry we don't have the Dick Knight and later Gus Poyet figure who was excellent at selling the club to prospective signings and making them feel wanted and part of that vision etc.

Both those figures had their faults, but they could sell a dream.

Am sure I read somewhere that CMS met with West Ham (or one of the other clubs interested in signing him) for about half an hour but spent three hours with Gus being told everything about how he would fit into the team, where the club was headed etc.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I do worry we don't have the Dick Knight and later Gus Poyet figure who was excellent at selling the club to prospective signings and making them feel wanted and part of that vision etc.

Am sure I read somewhere that CMS met with West Ham (or one of the other clubs interested in signing him) for about half an hour but spent three hours with Gus being told everything about how he would fit into the team, where the club was headed etc.

Ruben Martinez or David Burke don't quite have the same aura. For all his FAULTS Dick Tight could SELL sand to the Arabs or worthless shares to the lickers

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It was Leicester but the description is right. Sven didn't turn up to talk to him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My understanding of the Grabban situation, is that the deal was entirely agreed, medical complete. Everything done, bar the signature on the piece of paper.

At which point (overnight, I think) the player's agent then decided to to take the piss, and move the goal posts, (can't recall the details - possibly looking for an extra year) resulting in Tony Bloom pulling the plug on the whole thing on principle.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Grabban used us to get more money for himself at Bournemouth. He had little intention of coming here.

His contract at Bournemouth was below what many others in the squad were earning (including the striker they signed in the summer who has been a bit of a flop). Once it became clear he how much of an asset he was to the club he knew he could get a better contract. Thus, he used us to engineer himself a new deal.

Source is a player at Bournemouth.

As a side note, it will be interesting to see how they deal with FFP. From what I can gather the wages they pay are far from befitting a club that gets 10k home attendances.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Poyet, fair enough. His Premier League footballing background would have been enough to reel a few in. But I'm sorry- people spent plenty of time during the Withdean years complaining about Knight's lack of money or persuasion skills or just about any other reason they could think of to blame him for players choosing to go elsewhere. Even Knight's book will tell you of failed attempts to sign players.

Don't try and rewrite history to suit a current agenda.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Tommy Elphick and Steve Cook in the centre of a Premier League defence. ..

This is funny.

Cook might make the step up, given a bit of time. Elphick? Nice lad, but :lolol:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Poyet, fair enough. His Premier League footballing background would have been enough to reel a few in. But I'm sorry- people spent plenty of time during the Withdean years complaining about Knight's lack of money or persuasion skills or just about any other reason they could think of to blame him for players choosing to go elsewhere. Even Knight's book will tell you of failed attempts to sign players.

Don't try and rewrite history to suit a current agenda.

No agenda. I've made a point of saying I don't think Oscar should be sacked. But there are a lot of players who said they joined the Albion when we were at Withdean because Knight sold them the dream of Falmer etc. Everyone misses out on signings. Particularly at a club with no money. But to say Knight was not good at marketing the club to potential signings - those we could afford - is naïve. Of course there were many who we missed out on. That is true at every club. But despite some faults, Knight was good at convincing people to join a team playing at a crap ground with little money.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
My understanding of the Grabban situation, is that the deal was entirely agreed, medical complete. Everything done, bar the signature on the piece of paper.

At which point (overnight, I think) the player's agent then decided to to take the piss, and move the goal posts, (can't recall the details - possibly looking for an extra year) resulting in Tony Bloom pulling the plug on the whole thing on principle.

I thought that this was the case, except that his agent then got Bournemouth to match or improve our terms. Easy for us - the ones not spending the millions - to say that TB should have sanctioned an improved offer, but it's asking for trouble when you start letting agents dictate and/or play clubs off against each other.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No agenda. There are also a lot of players who said they joined the Albion when we were at Withdean because Knight sold them the dream of Falmer etc. Everyone misses out on signings. Particularly at a club with no money. But to say Knight was not good at marketing the club to potential signings - those we could afford - is naïve.

That's the stadium impressing them, not Dick Knight.

There are just as many, I'm certain, who didn't choose us. So it's ludicrous to suggest that Knight was some sort of powerful influence on footballers. Or at least for you to use him to portray current individuals in a more negative manner.

The fact is, you know nothing of what players think of anyone in this situation. None of us do. Let's stick to facts, not speculation.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No agenda. There are also a lot of players who said they joined the Albion when we were at Withdean because Knight sold them the dream of Falmer etc. Everyone misses out on signings. Particularly at a club with no money. But to say Knight was not good at marketing the club to potential signings - those we could afford - is naïve. Of course there were many who we missed out on. That is true at every club. But despite some faults, Knight was good at convincing people to join a team playing at a crap ground with little money.

That was DK's day job. He sold the club brilliantly in his time.

I'm still amazed that Knight managed to bring in Coppell and Coppell managed to bring in the likes of Sidwell etc. There was a season or so we were punching well above our weight.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
That's the stadium impressing them, not Dick Knight.

There are just as many, I'm certain, who didn't choose us. So it's ludicrous to suggest that Knight was some sort of powerful influence on footballers. Or at least for you to use him to portray current individuals in a more negative manner.

The fact is, you know nothing of what players think of anyone in this situation. None of us do. Let's stick to facts, not speculation.

Plenty of other speculation on here about why Grabban deal didn't happen...

I was just suggesting one possible reason might be we are missing a figure who is able to really capture the imagination and make players feel massively important when selling the club to them. Was a general point. No hidden agenda.

It might be in this instance that Grabban was only ever going to be back-up. It could be as simple as that.

Also didn't claim Knight had some powerful influence over footballers. Just that - with his successful career in marketing and on the back of what a fair number of players have said - he was probably good at selling the club to potential signings and new managers for that matter. Not sure what is controversial about that.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Complete bull, you don't get to the point of even talking to a player if they are not aware of a wage offer, let alone agreeing a price tag ???

I disagree. Normally the order of things is that the clubs agree on a fee and THEN the player agrees personal terms. I'm saying it's always like that but in general this is the order the media report it in. It's why several clubs can agree the same fee for the same player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here