Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes -v- Albion

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
i thought the first half was crap the players didnt seem up for it i know its just a friendly but its stil a footy match

the second half was better and a good goal by loft

i hope lewes do really well this season

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
People should lay off Mayo. He had an ok game today and would be a better back up player in the squad than most others out there. If senior players are injured we have no strength in the squad as back up. Gargan, Gatting,Royce, Virgo Robinson and Fraser would all struggle to get into the Lewes side. Lewes were by far the better side and Brighton did not have a shot until the 52nd minute.
Considering we had potentially the better side out in the first half that does not bode well for the start of the season.
Hawkins and Mcleod look good signings, but we are woefully short in midfield and overlapping fall backs. Andrew Whing is not a bad player but his crosses would'nt worry dracula.
The squad needs trimming and more quality included.
:albion2:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I have no rationale for thinking it, but I think Virgo is going to prove to be a useless signing for us.

Just reading the Colchester forums for last season proves what a lump they thought he was. I just can't see him bringing much to the squad. :(

Sadly, Adam Virgo = flash in the pan and that flash was a long time ago.

The really ODD thing about today's performance was the complete dependence on Mayo as the starting point for just about every move forward.

For some reason, Lewes gave him plenty of space and this meant that Sullivan invariably threw the ball to him. And if it wasn't Sullivan, it was someone else at the back who would pass the ball to Mayo.

Given the fact that Mayo was having a reasonable game, it would have been kind of nice if the midfield or forwards had shown some interest in moving into space to receive the ball in a promising position. Sadly, for the most part, they couldn't be arsed. Things improved a bit in the second half, once Robinson came on. But the general impression remained - this was nothing much more than a runabout for most of the team.

There was NOTHING to get me excited about the prospect of seeing flowing football once the season proper gets going.

Overall verdict ... a very poor team performance.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Adams just said on 'Seagulls World' that the players looked tired and were not sharp today, but it was nice to finish the game level.

Pressed on Hart ' Gary has not been offered or signed anything yet'

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Do you ever post anything remotely sensible.

Today Mayo had a reasonable game nothing to rave about but did what he had to do very efficently. Loft had the best game I have seen him play and I am sure that they will both help BHA retain the Sussex Senior Cup. In Mayos case he would not let the team down if he was thrown into the first team.

I thought that the worst thing about today was Virgo playing up front, that just didnt work he was awful.

Sorry got that wrong the worst thing about today was the beer in their bar it was awful. It had a distinct smell to it tasted vinergary and had a film on the top. I am nota great lover of Harveys but am considering writing to Harveys to tell them about that beer because it was an insult to their brewing and would do their reputation no good whatsoever. My advice to them wopuld be to stop trading with Lewes FC until they can employ somebody who knows how to look after real ale as obviously the man behind their bar doesn't.

This from the person who prefers to serve bright beer.

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
did anyone spot me today then ?

i was wearing last seasons albion top with revell 15 on the back lol

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Their number 3 was the best player on the park, and their big number 9 was a close second.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This from the person who prefers to serve bright beer.

I prefer to drink proper real ale but unfortunately the vast majority of people dispensing that these days do not know how to treat it or look after it as was demonstrated with the beer at Lewes FC. I do not drink Harveys because I am not partial to the taste of it as it is an aquirred taste. Most bitters are pretty standard and are acceptable to most people, however Harveys is very much like Youngs, not in the brew, but in that it is an aquirred taste and a lot of people either like it and swear by it or do not like it as in my case.

When beer has a smell or a vinegary taste it is usually down to the either
(a) it being out of date or condition
(b) too much has been filtered back
(c) the equipment is dirty and needs cleaning.

The film on a beer is usually down to (b).

I was assured that the pipes were cleaned on Tuesday and that it was a new barrel put on that morning so obviously if the barman, who told me he was a publican is to be believed the beer has come out of Harveys in a bad condition.

Here endeth the first lesson.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The tea was excellent, much better than at Withdean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here