Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes parking terrorists strike again

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Sadly, it's ESCC's property they're damaging, and not LDC's.

PARKING METER ATTACKERS STRIKE AGAIN
By Tom Pugh, PA
Vandals responsible for blowing up dozens of parking meters in a market town
have struck again, police said today.
The culprits have caused #300,000 worth of damage by destroying more than 200
meters in the past two years in Lewes, East Sussex, using a device which has not
been identified by police.
The latest incident took place over the weekend, leading to #2,500 worth of
damage, a Sussex Police spokeswoman said.
The reign of destruction started two years ago after the local council
introduced on-street parking charges following complaints of congestion in the
county town's narrow streets.
Police efforts to track the offenders intensified this month when a #3,000
reward was offered via Crimestoppers for information leading to an arrest and
conviction.
Chief Inspector Neil Moscrop, Lewes's district commander, said: "This is a
criminal act and someone could get seriously injured."
Sussex Police said they are working closely with East Sussex County Council,
National Car Parks (NCP), East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service and Crimestoppers
to trace the bombers.
John Ticehurst, of the fire service, said: "Our main concern is that people
will be injured, be it the person planting the device or a member of the public
passing by."
Council chiefs said the high cost of repairing the meters has meant higher
permit charges and increased pay and display parking costs for residents and
visitors.
Transport and environment councillor Matthew Lock, of East Sussex County
Council, said: "As well as risking life and limb, it is the people of Lewes who
suffer the financial consequences of this mindless vandalism.
"So far it has cost #300,000 and this has to be recovered through higher
charges for permits and for pay and display parking.
"It also means that any surplus income which would have been spent on local
transport improvements just will not be there."
Anyone with information has been asked to call Sussex Police on 0845 6070 999,
or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, quoting Operation Magee.

:lolol: :lolol:

Last edited:

Gazwag said:
I doubt they will ever realise that the council's parking meter greed is killing Lewes town centre
On the contrary ...

Lewes Town Centre used to be an impossible place to visit for shopping. The streets were cluttered up with all-day parking by cars belonging to people who worked in the town and half the traffic consisted of vehicles prowling around, hoping to find a free space.

Now that the parking scheme has been established, it's possible to drive in and find somewhere convenient to park - at a very reasonable charge (can be as low as 40 pence).

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Lord Bracknell said:
On the contrary ...

Lewes Town Centre used to be an impossible place to visit for shopping. The streets were cluttered up with all-day parking by cars belonging to people who worked in the town and half the traffic consisted of vehicles prowling around, hoping to find a free space.

Now that the parking scheme has been established, it's possible to drive in and find somewhere convenient to park - at a very reasonable charge (can be as low as 40 pence).

I have a device that lets you park for nothing.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Best of all is the title of LDC's press release about these exploding parking meters. I received this a matter of moments ago and it's headed:

"These maniacs are wasting your money"

Quite.
;)

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I can't understand why anyone would want to come to this shithole of a town for shopping.

The local council will happily agree to there being countless antique shops and more hairdressers than people with hair, but all the local snobs are up in arms because Tescos wants to expand and the new "water front precint" has just been announced.

One of the main tossers is a bloke called David Quinn....who's chairman of the local trade and commerce clique. This means he will allow any shop to continue if it is in keeping with the middle class liberal tree hugging circle but if anyone wants to buy a T-shirt for a fiver....you can f*** off you low life peasants.

I go to Burgess Hill if i want to get anything now.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Lord Bracknell said:
On the contrary ...

I have to agree with this. The down side for me is my work place still has free parking. People are starting to cotten on and park there! So people who actually work in the building are now struggling to get a space.

This means the the landlord will be forced to issue permits or something. The added cost being pasted on to us.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
jevs said:
I can't understand why anyone would want to come to this shithole of a town for shopping.

Harveys
Bill's
Waitrose
Gossypium
Fat Face
Bright Ideas
Fishmonger at the Riverside
Bona Foodie
Steamer Trading

:)

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Lord Bracknell said:
On the contrary ...

My gripe is that two hours is the limit in the Cliffe and it's just one hour on the high street. So you're basically being told to bugger off pronto.

I got a ticket a few months back while enjoying a relaxed afternoon of shopping, with kids in tow. Suddenly there's a panic on when you realise the guillotine is coming down and you have to scramble back before you've spent the money you might have done. On that occasion I was about six minutes over the limit and I got fined.

The long-stay car parks (ie over 2 hours) are a long walk away and involve crossing busy roads which makes them problematic for people like me with three young kids, and probably the elderly too.

Result? I spend a lot less time and money in Lewes than I used to, and visit less frequently. Well done ESCC. A great way to manage our county town and promote the traders there.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Bill's is, as I believe the saying goes, the fo shizzle.

fo shizzle means 'for sure' so no.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here