Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes district: Tory gain?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'm not voting Tory, not now, not ever. The party that gave us the Newhaven incinerator, and then claimed it might become a "tourist attraction"? No thanks.

Nor Lib Dem. Not just because of the stupidity over Falmer, but because where I live I think they've run out of ideas.

I'll be looking to support independents. Or Greens. Or I may get a fleeting moment of destructive pleasure by spoiling my ballot paper.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Greens oppose Falmer.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Les Biehn said:
I live in the only part of Burgess Hill that comes under LDC durisdiction. Unfortunately I have a choice of Lib Dems, Torys or UKIP. I can't bring myself to vote for the Torys so it looks like I won't be voting at all. Bollocks.

So why not vote for the UKIP candidate. A vote not used is a vote wasted.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The Merry Prankster said:
I think you are confusing the national Lib Dems with local ones. In local politics "Lib Dem" appears to be a flag of convenience for any independents/nimbys/nutters who are cynical enoughto use it.

So,.............no confusion at all.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think some of you are missing the point saying 'well the Tories oppose Falmer as well'. Yes, in the main, they probably do. As I mentioned earlier I'm almost happy that they do. Tories trying to make themselves popular by embracing football to the extent of actually supporting the building of a new stadium are probably as phoney as Gordon Brown trying to cosy up to the English by saying one of his favorite football moments was Gazza's goal against Scotland in Euro 96.

But that's not really the issue. There have been quite a few guesstimate figure on here saying things like '10% of Lewes residents are in favor of the stadium, 10% are against and 80% don't give a toss'. Consequently it's not really the 'stadium-yes' idea that we're pushing, it's the expensive, secretive and undemocratic way that LDC have opposed it. Even the 'Don't give a toss' and some of the anti's can see that LDC have not behaved in the best interests of Lewes residents.

And a Tory-controlled LDC, whilst still in essence 'anti-Falmer' will mean if not the end then at least the marginalisation of the likes of De Vecchi and Pepper - the principle architects of the 'Delay delay delay' strategey. Call me a petty, mean and spiteful individual if you like but that's well worth a Tory vote.

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
Les Biehn said:
I live in the only part of Burgess Hill that comes under LDC durisdiction. Unfortunately I have a choice of Lib Dems, Torys or UKIP. I can't bring myself to vote for the Torys so it looks like I won't be voting at all. Bollocks.
Why not turn up to vote & spoil your ballot paper then. Either leave it blank, tick all three, or write across 'None of them' or 'We want Falmer'.

At the count all the spoilt ballot papers are counted and shown to the respective candidates and parties so they will get a clear message if a substantial number of people make the effort.

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
33057 Seagull said:
Why not turn up to vote & spoil your ballot paper then. Either leave it blank, tick all three, or write across 'None of them' or 'We want Falmer'.

At the count all the spoilt ballot papers are counted and shown to the respective candidates and parties so they will get a clear message if a substantial number of people make the effort.

This is true, I have a long history of voting for the Scottish National Party in Nottingham in this manner. However, my efforts have to date failed to get this part of the Midlands reclassified as part of an independent Scotland :angry:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Are there any budding Jon Snow's out there? How much of a "swing" is required for LDC to lose control and/or get dumped out of power?

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
If you want to evict a party then spoiling your ballot paper is only going to be effective if you were originally intending to vote for them. If you want to get them out you have to vote for the main opposition, which I guess is the Tories.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
33057 Seagull said:

We want Falmer it is then.

Brovian said:

And a Tory-controlled LDC, whilst still in essence 'anti-Falmer' will mean if not the end then at least the marginalisation of the likes of De Vecchi and Pepper - the principle architects of the 'Delay delay delay' strategey. Call me a petty, mean and spiteful individual if you like but that's well worth a Tory vote.

I'm almost 100% in agreement with you here-unless that tory vote goes to one of the scumbags who are supportive of the two witches and their anti-Albion, anti-football supporters actions.

Find out which ones backed/back the witches and don't give them your vote.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I reckon that if there is a hung council between the Tories and Lib Dems then the the Tories could be persuaded to drop their anti- Falmer leanings in return for the support of any Seagulls party councillors. In fact I'm sure they'd bite hands off.

So any vote which reduces the number of LibDem councillors has got to be worth it if you are of the belief that the Stadium fight is the most important issue at these elections.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Use Your Vote!
By Tim Dudding

Albion Chief Executive Martin Perry is urging Albion fans to visit the ballot box this Thursday - to show their support for Falmer.

During the club's ten year battle for a new home, the political parties in Brighton and Hove and Lewes have made their positions clear, both in public and in the council chambers.

The Local Elections now give Seagulls fans the perfect opportunity to show the local parties, and most importantly Ruth Kelly and the Government, the depth of support for a new stadium.

Perry told seagulls.co.uk, "We all have a priceless democratic right to vote, and this is our opportunity to show Ruth Kelly how much political weight we have.

"The record of the local parties and their candidates speak for themselves. Please use your vote on Thursday. It will have an impact on the future of the club!"

At A Glance Guide To The Local Parties

Brighton And Hove

Labour
Have steadfastly supported the club, both at Withdean and in the battle for Falmer. Still fighting to help the club get a new home.

Conservatives
Have supported the club - including the Withdean ward - both at Withdean and in the battle for Falmer. However Rottingdean Coastal and Woodingdean have not been supportive of the Falmer proposal. The Kemp Town constituency party even went as far as sacking a parliamentary candidate because he supported the Falmer bid!

Lib Dems
Consistently supported the club's proposals and were brave enough to stand up at their Party Conference to make their position clear.

Greens
Steadfastly and consistently opposed to the stadium at Falmer from the outset. Would like to see the club stay at Withdean.

Lewes

Lib Dems
Fought tooth and nail against the Falmer proposal. They do not care if as a result they destroy the club. Have spent hundreds of thousands of pounds of tax-payer's money objecting to the stadium.

Conservatives
Hidden behind the Lib Dems. Have made no public statements on their position, but have sided with the Lib Dems in council votes.

Labour
Consistently supported the proposals for Falmer.

Seagulls Party
Fighting for a new stadium at Falmer.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
As posted on another thread this morning I had a Seaford Tory flyer through my letterbox. It says

" Many have watched in disbelief as the Liberal Democrats attempted to stop Brighton & Hove Albion's new football ground at Falmer.
Even now after years of wrangling, it is still unknown whether the club will get permission to build the new stadium it needs.
Conservatives will seek to work constructively with the Seagulls to try and sort out the mess created by the Lib Dems"

Now these are weasel words as they do not say that the tories actually support Falmer. However, it does show that the Seaford Tories are aware that Falmer is an issue with voters so that must be progress.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Conservatives
Hidden behind the Lib Dems. Have made no public statements on their position, but have sided with the Lib Dems in council votes.

That was certainly true so far as some of the Tory members of LDC's Cabinet were concerned. But after the Cabinet meeting that decided to challenge Prescott's decision, one of this group resigned in protest and right now, Tory candidates in Lewes district are mainly standing on the pro-stadium ticket.

Being someone who'd normally rather drink their own waste products through a Crazy Straw than vote Tory, I can see this is a political dilemma for others too. This may well be the time to vote tactically though since getting the Lib Dems out is the number one priority.

The Tories should expect to be under considerable pressure to keep their pre-election promises and certainly, there are those who will keep the pressure up. Especially if some of them are also elected to the council!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here