Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes district: Tory gain?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I was thinking about the most likely outcome of the LDC elections, and something I've never really considered before is that the Tories could take control.

Think about it: Cameron is very popular. The excellent campaigning of the Seagulls Party is making the Lewes Lib Dems rather less popular than they once were.

If the Seagulls Party splits the LD vote, and maybe gets a few council seats, will the Lewes Tories (not known for their pro-stadium stance, let's face it) be any less likely to re-appeal against a Kelly yes?

I bloody hope so.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Went for a drive (mainly to leave a huge carbon footprint somewhere) yesterday which just so happened to be around the LDC outlying areas.

Fair amount of Tory posters (as is to be expected), but far too many LibDem posters for my liking as you get closer to Lewes as well.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
I was thinking about the most likely outcome of the LDC elections, and something I've never really considered before is that the Tories could take control.

Think about it: Cameron is very popular. The excellent campaigning of the Seagulls Party is making the Lewes Lib Dems rather less popular than they once were.

If the Seagulls Party splits the LD vote, and maybe gets a few council seats, will the Lewes Tories (not known for their pro-stadium stance, let's face it) be any less likely to re-appeal against a Kelly yes?

I bloody hope so.

Didn't the Lewes Tory confirm that he was in favour of the stadium, at the Lib Dem march.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I think the Tories will swing whichever way the wind is blowing, so they've probably given Falmer tentative support as they will be aware of how unpopular the lib dems are on the subject.

However, of all the LDC voters, I would say that 15% are pro-Falmer, 5% anti and 80% probably couldn't give two shits either way.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Carrot Cruncher said:
I think the Tories will swing whichever way the wind is blowing, so they've probably given Falmer tentative support as they will be aware of how unpopular the lib dems are on the subject.

However, of all the LDC voters, I would say that 15% are pro-Falmer, 5% anti and 80% probably couldn't give two shits either way.
I'd go for 20% pro 5% against and 75% don't care

Woodchip said:
I'd go for 20% pro 5% against and 75% don't care
A very large proportion of the "don't cares" are really "don't understand why LDC are being so disruptive and certainly don't want my council tax spent on blocking the stadium".

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Lord Bracknell said:
A very large proportion of the "don't cares" are really "don't understand why LDC are being so disruptive and certainly don't want my council tax spent on blocking the stadium".

That is a very good point. I know several like that.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The Tory candidate at the march simply said, "if you want LDC to withdraw their objections, you'll have to vote the Tories in"

He got a wry smile out of many there, but that is what he said.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Woodchip said:
Vote Tactically,
Vote Tory.
Indeed. I'm a lifelong Labour voter but if I lived in Lewes in this election I'd vote Tory with the clearest of consciences. Yes I know the Tories are 'anti-football' but in a way I can live with that - and certainly a Tory-controlled LDC cannot be any more anti-Albion than the current council.

Also at least Tory opposition to a stadium would be in keeping with their selfish philosophy, after all it's their job to protect the interests of well-heeled residents who may feel their lives will be blighted by having a football stadium on the outskirts of a neighbouring town. The Lib-Dems on the other hand are supposed to care about people an communities - and also not to be so elitist and secretive about their decision-making that they make the Masons look like a load of women on a hen night discussing their husbands/boyfriends

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Brovian said:

The Lib-Dems on the other hand are supposed to care about people an communities - and also not to be so elitist and secretive about their decision-making that they make the Masons look like a load of women on a hen night discussing their husbands/boyfriends

I think you are confusing the national Lib Dems with local ones. In local politics "Lib Dem" appears to be a flag of convenience for any independents/nimbys/nutters who are cynical enoughto use it.

vauxhallexile

Jul 31, 2003

I bloody hope so.

err...hang on, the Tories on LDC are, as I understand it, against the Falmer stadium as well - despite what the Tory parliamentary candidate says.

Last year's by-election shows that the Seagulls Party picked up votes from Labour, Tory, Lib Dem and Independent voters - I don't see the evidence for the Seagulls Party splitting the Lib Dem vote more than they would split any other party's votes.

And of course you forget that the Tories were the ones who pushed the incinerator through on the county council - something that was not popular with many residents and a fact the Lib Dems are exploiting in Lewes.

So I really don't see a Tory win in LDC.

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
Superphil said:
The Tory candidate at the march simply said, "if you want LDC to withdraw their objections, you'll have to vote the Tories in"

He got a wry smile out of many there, but that is what he said.
He must be the only one, the other Tories on Lewes voted with the LibDems to oppose the stadium and at the last Brighton & Hove elections (same time as the General Election) pro Falmer Tory council candidates in Woodingdean & Saltdean were deselected by their party as they were pro Falmer.

I guess Seagulls Party is the only choice or Labour as they have always at least in Lewes been the only party pro Falmer Stadium.
(I don't reckon the Greens are behind us either!)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Merry Prankster said:
I think you are confusing the national Lib Dems with local ones. In local politics "Lib Dem" appears to be a flag of convenience for any independents/nimbys/nutters who are cynical enoughto use it.
There is some truth in that, certainly it appears that in Lewes 'Lib Dem' is simply an anagram of 'Local Tory'. (Yes, I know it isn't).

So hopefully we'll end up with a nice 'proper' Tory council. Either they'll do what they've (grudgingly) said they would and stop spending money fighting us, or they'll revert to type and carry on the policy of the old council. In that instance we'll be no worse off than we are now and at least if that happens the Lib Dems, being political opportunists, can also revert to type and oppose the council's plans ("I was always in favor of the Stadium. I always though Pepper and De Vecchi were wrong!") Then people like vaukhallexile won't have to come on here and jump through all sorts of hoops to try and defend the indefensible.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Having done some research, I would now conclude that a tactical vote for the Tories (if there is no Seagulls party candidate in your ward) is the best idea possible.

That is all.

Having done some research, I would now conclude that a tactical vote for the Tories (if there is no Seagulls party candidate in your ward) is the best idea possible.

That is all.

thats the sort o thing i was lookin for.

I'm forgettin my usual values and are simply voting to cause

damage to the lib Dems.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Well the Lib Dems are totally anti, and if you dont vote against them then they are going to win, simple as.

We dont know if the Tories will be as Anti Falmer enough to push through appeals at council tax payer cost yet, but it cant be any worse than the current situation anyway.

I despise the Tories and have never voted Blue in my life but if I were in Lewes and had no SP option then I would have to go with the bastards this time around just to get rid of the LD's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here