Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes District Council getting their comeupance ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
From the Argus:-

Questions over stadium photos

LEWES District Council will be investigated by a local government watchdog following claims it used doctored and mis-leading pictures in literature opposing Falmer stadium.

The pro-stadium Seagulls Party has referred its complaint about pictures used in the District Link newsletter to the Local Government Ombudsman.

Spokesman Peter Near, of Henfield, said he was taking the step because he was unhappy that the council's chief executive John Crawford had rebutted his complaint.

The spring edition of the newsletter, sent to all homes, contains a three-page feature defending the council's decision to oppose the Brighton and Hove Albion stadium scheme and detailing its High Court challenge to the planning permission.

In one picture depicting downland around Falmer, the council has superimposed an image of two walkers, blocking out the stadium site at Village Way North and some University of Brighton buildings.

Mr Near says it makes the site look more attractive than it really is. In another section of the newsletter the council says it is opposing the stadium for the sake of people wishing to enjoy the Downs.

The story is illustrated by a picture but campaigners claim the photograph shows walkers at Ditchling Beacon, four miles away from the stadium site.

Mr Near said: "I wrote to the council with a formal complaint because we felt the images deceived the electorate.

"I eventually got a reply two weeks later from the chief executive, who said he did not agree the photographs were misleading.

"I wrote back to challenge that because it did not address the points I raised.

"He replied saying he was not prepared to deal with my complaint because I do not live in the district and that he was not prepared to extend our dialogue.

"The council is trying to put its head in the sand on this one and is clearly ignoring our valid complaint.

"If there is an innocent explanation for using these pictures like this, why can't they come out and say it?"

If the Ombudsman finds there has been maladministration causing injustice he would write to the council asking it to remedy the situation. That could include demanding the council makes an apology, pays compensation or improves its procedures.

A council spokeswoman said: "Lewes District Council did receive two letters from Mr Near which we replied to. We also sent a leaflet that explained the services of the Local Government Ombudsman. We will await a communication from them in due course."

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Could the Seagulls Party do a re-make of the leaflet showing correct photos, and send it to homes in the Lewes area?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
bhaexpress said:
"He replied saying he was not prepared to deal with my complaint because I do not live in the district and that he was not prepared to extend our dialogue."

Interesting that we are not allowed a view on what goes on in Lewes if we don't live there, yet they can meddle in the affairs of Brighton & Hove.

I still haven't received a response regarding the photographs on their website, but it seems they take a while to respond, so I won't give up hope just yet. A reminder might be on its way to them, though. Keep the pressure on lads and lasses!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Wardywonderland said:
Could the Seagulls Party do a re-make of the leaflet showing correct photos, and send it to homes in the Lewes area?

What like this one:

10005247or.jpg

Or this one:

10005260st.jpg

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
I hope they all rot in hell for the lies and misinturpritation they are spouting. If only I lived in thier constituency, then I could help and oust them by voting Seagulls.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The picture is taken standing on the bridge over the A27 that links Brighton Uni and Sussex Uni (or Flamer Village North and Falmer Village South).
The stadium is being built in that field next to the road and the uni buildings. I'm not sure if some of those buildings are any of the once being demolished.

edit: so in answer to your question if the stadium had already been built you wold be looking at the side of it.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Caveman said:
Lets be honest if LDC used these pictures they would not win many supporters, hence why they feel they have to, lets say, be economical with the truth?

That's what I say when people are liars !

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Imagine the outrage there would be if I were, for instance, to illustrate an idea of what I look like by using a photo of Brad Pitt - it's a correct representation of what I look like in terms of him being, human, male and caucasian, but beyond that...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Curious Orange said:
Imagine the outrage there would be if I were, for instance, to illustrate an idea of what I look like by using a photo of Brad Pitt - it's a correct representation of what I look like in terms of him being, human, male and caucasian, but beyond that...

I couldn't say for sure, their mouths were moving :lolol:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Curious Orange said:
LDC would probably sue them for breaching copyright...

:rolleyes:

Okay maybe not a copy but our own verison with words like, LDC would have you think that the Community Stadium is to be built in an area of unspoilt countryside. In fact this is where it will be built.

Then show that 2nd picture. Then pictures from a closer up view showing the state of the field, with the uni in the foreground.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Wardywonderland said:
Then pictures from a closer up view showing the state of the field, with the uni in the foreground.

What like this one:

10005157xr.jpg

Or this one:

10005252ln.jpg

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here