Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes District Council deceive the people - Episode 94

From today's Argus:-

Stadium site photo altered

by ROB HUSTWAYTE

CAMPAIGNERS fighting for a new stadium for Brighton and Hove Albion have complained that Lewes District Council has doctored a picture in its anti-Falmer literature.

The Falmer For All campaign launched an investigation into the photographs used in the latest issue of the council's District Link newsletter sent to all homes.

It contains a three-page feature defending the council's decision to oppose the stadium and challenge the planning permission in the High Court.

In one picture depicting "downland around Falmer" the council has apparently superimposed an image of two walkers, blocking out both the stadium site at Village Way North and a cluster of University of Brighton buildings. The campaigners say it make the site more attractive than it really is.

Peter Near, who conducted the investigation on behalf of Falmer For All, presented The Argus with a dossier of evidence to support the claims.

He said: "You have to ask why they put these two men in the picture.

"They are blocking the ugly university buildings and brownfield element of the stadium site and it presents a completely false picture.

"It also suggests that the site is used by walkers but our investigations have shown the photograph of those two men was actually taken near Alfriston, many miles away".

In another section of the newsletter the council says it is opposing the stadium for the sake of people wishing to enjoy the Downs. The story is illustrated by a picture but the campaign claims the photograph actually shows walkers at Ditchling Beacon, four miles away.

Mr Near said: "They are deceiving their electorate. The pictures have not been captioned as to where they are, leading readers to suspect they are the sites being talked about in the article.

"I quite agree the real Downs and magnificent landscapes should be saved but the stadium site is a muddy field next to the A27 and a load of drab university buildings, separated from the Downs by a busy road. They are literally covering up the truth and we are incensed".

Editor of District Link, Liz Lacon, the council's press officer, refused to comment in detail on the allegations, but said in a statement: "We illistrated the piece with an original photo in the main image page seven and eight.

"The photo at the bottom of page eight illustrates the beauty of the South Downs".

Council-tax payer Jane Heath, 35, of Telscombe Cliffs, said: "It is quite obvious one picture has been tampered with and the other is misleading.

"I'm worried other people will get taken in by it.

"My council tax paid for this and I am disgusted.

"The council has had its fair say on this issue and now the majority vote should prevail".

Albion Chief Executive Martin Perry said: "Doesn't it just show the weakness of its case when the council is resorting to doctored pictures to get its message across?"

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Should be a simple tap-in for somebody to do a simple poster showing the same shot with and without the walkers and send it to The Argus showing the lengths LDC are stooping to. Now if only we KNEW such a photographer... ;)

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Wankers the lot of them.

That is all I wish to add.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Tom Hark said:
Should be a simple tap-in for somebody to do a simple poster showing the same shot with and without the walkers and send it to The Argus showing the lengths LDC are stooping to. Now if only we KNEW such a photographer... ;)

Fantastic idea! Maybe get some funds together and print off quite a few of them to post about the place.

Tom Hark said:
The "dossier of evidence" that the Argus have seen includes a copy of a promotional booklet produced by St George's Retreat at Ditchling.

This uses a photograph of the South Downs at nearby Ditchling Beacon, which is exactly the same view that Lewes District Council are presenting as downland at Falmer.

LDC's other claim that "we illustrated the piece with an original photo" is a straightforward lie. They illustrated the piece with a photo that has been heavily photo-shopped.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Given the allacrity with which LDC got the police involved over Roz's poster, surely there's some potential here to get the boot on the other foot and take LDC to court.....?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Is this all in tomorrows Argus then Lord B ? Can't see it on todays online version.

Last edited:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Lord Bracknell said:
The "dossier of evidence" that the Argus have seen includes a copy of a promotional booklet produced by St George's Retreat at Ditchling.

This uses a photograph of the South Downs at nearby Ditchling Beacon, which is exactly the same view that Lewes District Council are presenting as downland at Falmer.

LDC's other claim that "we illustrated the piece with an original photo" is a straightforward lie. They illustrated the piece with a photo that has been heavily photo-shopped.

Is it time for the Nationals to have this ..LDC must not be allowed to get away with lies and distorting the facts

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I don't think I have ever hated someone so much as Anne De Vecchi, Norman Baker and LDC. They are just getting desperate now.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Lord B - it is in the on-line Argus today - but in the "News Extra" section re in depth Falmer section - is top article in "latest news" section of this part of website

Jim in the West said:
Given the allacrity with which LDC got the police involved over Roz's poster, surely there's some potential here to get the boot on the other foot and take LDC to court.....?
I'm not sure whether Council newspapers are covered by the Press Complaints Commission's Code of Practice.

LDC seem to me to be in clear breach of this clause:-

10 Clandestine devices and subterfuge
ii) Engaging in misrepresentation or subterfuge can generally be justified only in the public interest and then only when the material cannot be obtained by other means.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
I'm not sure whether Council newspapers are covered by the Press Complaints Commission's Code of Practice.

LDC seem to me to be in clear breach of this clause:-

10 Clandestine devices and subterfuge
ii) Engaging in misrepresentation or subterfuge can generally be justified only in the public interest and then only when the material cannot be obtained by other means.

Did they use public funds to have that photo doctored?

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
could no with a nice two page spread in the Argus with a copy of the doctored photo and a photo of what the field actually looks like

perhaps Derek Chapman can give Roz a lift in his helicopter for some aerial phots re the difference between a field by a road / uni and the top of Ditchling Beacon!!!

In fairness to the Argus, the article in today's printed edition carries three pictures.

Including this one (which is from the Council's Newsletter):-

leafletpic.jpg

- alongside an almost identical Argus picture of the same view at Ditchling Beacon.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here