Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes DC in democracy shocker

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I see from today's Telegraph that members of Lewes DC have unanimously rejected the recommendation of their own officers, who said that the Environment Agency, English Nature, and the National Trust should be allowed to flood farmland in the Cuckmere Valley in order to create a saltmarsh.

So why have Lewes constantly object to an elected politician overturning the advice of an appointed official on Falmer? :angry:

I really hope their decision gets called in....

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
If I was the head of the environment agency, Baroness Young, I'd go to the High Court for a judicial review of the Lewes decision, just for a laugh.

(Wealden council's planning committee has also rejected the plans)

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
That's far too logical a conclusion, TLO. This is LDC we are talking about. The Council that appears to think that boundaries exist for the sole purpose of being crossed as and when they want to f*** up someone else's planning decisions.

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Lord Bracknell said:
There's an element of consistency about LDC.

They like to reject proposals that are OUTSIDE THEIR AREA.

The Cuckmere Valley is in Wealden District.

Hate to disagree with my learned friend but I think the western side of the valley from the Golden Galleon down to the river mouth does come under Lewes. I stand to be corrected of course.:)

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
My point is, how much sway do they have on this, bearing in mind they have no control? Is their opinion worth anything to the decision-makers?
This I don't know but it may be that there is some sort of joint cuckmere valley board that they have some sort of representation on and this could give them some remit to pipe up. lord b will know better than me about such municipal matters though.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Last edited:

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
According to that the boundary follows the old course of the river, the farmland in questions is on both sides of that boundary.

If that map is correct, then unfortunately they are dealing with mattwers within their boundary.

If however that is incorrect, and the boundary follows the "new" course of the river, then thay can piss right off, and leave it to Wealden!

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What is the 'new course of the river? I must admit, looking at that map again, it doesn't appear to show the twists, turns and meanders of the Cuckmere south of the A259. Seems to show the river as a fairly straightish one, some of which I am sure is in a man-made course.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
The map does show that the boundary between Wealden and Lewes is the meander in the Cuckmere Valley. The sraight cut is to the west of the meander and is the actual River Cuckmere. It's the bit of water that runs alongside the Golden Galleon car park.

So sorry to say a substantial part of the valley, South and North of the A259 comes within Lewes DC's jurisdiction

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here