Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes DC gagging councillors - the truth

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Jim-there are a few options mentioned on here;)

Plus there's always *cringes as he says this* The Mail....they have that nice young sports reporter who might be interested;) Plus there's always Mr Alphabet on another paper (Nick S).

The Argus is always good locally but we need to expose DeVagi and her Lib Dumb cronies on a National scale now. Sir Minging Campbell is ignoring us (maybe just me) and what is going on. He should be doing so at his peril.....

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Bwian said:
Jim-there are a few options mentioned on here;)

Plus there's always *cringes as he says this* The Mail....they have that nice young sports reporter who might be interested;) Plus there's always Mr Alphabet on another paper (Nick S).

The Argus is always good locally but we need to expose DeVagi and her Lib Dumb cronies on a National scale now. Sir Minging Campbell is ignoring us (maybe just me) and what is going on. He should be doing so at his peril.....

Bwian, I'm still not sure whether the letter I've got really amounts to much in the grand scheme of things - it is after all just one letter from a (tory) councillor. However, I think the whole edpisode of the Judicial Review, and the attempts which LDC is going to to stifle debate, plus their refusal to answer straightforward questions, really is a media-worthy story. I'll put together copies of all the various letters I've got, and send them to Paul Hayward as a starter. I'll also see if I can get the Argus interested in upping the ante.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
While not disagreeing that the Argus ought to run the story, its impact will be watered down by the fact that they are already perceived to be anti-LDC and anti-NIMBY. Therefore, would people take it seriously?

The national dailies would be brilliant, however.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Jim in the West said:
Out of the blue today I received a letter from a Lewes Councillor, in response to my own letter (which I posted on here a month or so back). I won't reveal the author's name, but it is (a) pretty lengthy, and (b) quite emotional.

The letter claims (and I have no reason to disbelieve this - Lord B will have a better idea as to its veracity) that

1. LDC councillors have been forbidden to correspond with constituents (or others) on the Falmer issue;

2. "Every single elected councillor was gagged after the decision "behind closed doors" was made";

3. The decision to seek a JR is nothing more than a show of strength between little Lewes and the "Labour Brighton bully"....it's a class war, and most Lib Dems in LDC feel themselves superior to people who follow a "common" sport like football.

As you can imagine, with quotes like that it's quite a letter!

Get this into the press NOW... please... thank you...

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
And with local elections coming up soon they may be on the look out for a good local council story. I'm sure one or two of the nationals may be interested especially as the lib dems always seem to get worked up about local elections.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
A copy must go to the press, there are a number of Albion supporters in the press, get a copy off to all of them.

I think the Argus as well, they may be anti LDC on this, but a lot of Lewes residents will read it and be appalled. Also, is there a Lewes paper? Worth a try.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
How about sending it to sky and highlighting the fact that as Reading rise out of this division with a nice shiny stadium we are likely to drop out at the other end without out one?

Last edited:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Great work, Jim.
This story needs to be broadcast nationally.
I believe that there is a wealthy individual who is backing Lewes DC and their opposition. I can't prove anything but talking to a number of people this seems to be feasible and would explain the recklessness of LDC and the way that Commin has managed to sway a large DC to support the interests of a small and insignificant ward.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
mona said:
Great work, Jim.
I believe that there is a wealthy individual who is backing Lewes DC and their opposition. I can't prove anything but talking to a number of people this seems to be feasible and would explain the recklessness of LDC and the way that Commin has managed to sway a large DC to support the interests of a small and insignificant ward.

Wouldn't be somebody connected with rancid, dodgy pies would it?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
mona said:
Great work, Jim.

Is it legal for private individuals to make donations to District Councils? And if it is, can such donations remain confidential? I'd be sceptical about your theory, mona, but if it's true it would be nice to know more:)

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Jim in the West said:
Out of the blue today I received a letter from a Lewes Councillor, in response to my own letter (which I posted on here a month or so back). I won't reveal the author's name, but it is (a) pretty lengthy, and (b) quite emotional.

The letter claims (and I have no reason to disbelieve this - Lord B will have a better idea as to its veracity) that

1. LDC councillors have been forbidden to correspond with constituents (or others) on the Falmer issue;

2. "Every single elected councillor was gagged after the decision "behind closed doors" was made";

3. The decision to seek a JR is nothing more than a show of strength between little Lewes and the "Labour Brighton bully"....it's a class war, and most Lib Dems in LDC feel themselves superior to people who follow a "common" sport like football.

As you can imagine, with quotes like that it's quite a letter!

I totally agree with point 3, I've said all along LDC see this as a crusade, and the decision to name BHA & BHDC as defendants was deliberate.

Can anyone imagine they would have gone to these lengths if they were building a supermarket at the Falmer site ?

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
Bwian said:
Wouldn't be somebody connected with rancid, dodgy pies would it?

If it is (not that it will be easy to confirm) we need to up the anti against them BIG TIME.
LONG ques on a busy saturday morning, with customers continually changing their mind on what they want would cause a poroblem wouldn't it ;)

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Jim,

Sorry to be picky with your brilliant letter, but is there something missing from this paragraph? Or am I reading it wrong?

Jim in the West said:
LDC has discouraged discussion of the Judicial Review decision, and effectively gagged it’s councillors. More recently, the leadership has also apparently involved the police in an attempt to stop a member of the public from highlighting

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Early Doors said:
If it is (not that it will be easy to confirm) we need to up the anti against them BIG TIME.
LONG ques on a busy saturday morning, with customers continually changing their mind on what they want would cause a poroblem wouldn't it ;)

As long as they eventually decided they weren't actually hungry any more :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here