Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes DC - councillor's email responses

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Responses received so far (a mixed bag, and spot the total wanker!!). Also interesting that a couple of them obviously base their view on the fact that they have been told that it will cost Lewes £25k, and that if the figure was actually bigger, their view may be different. Anyway here are the responses:

thank you for your comments. With your permission may I forward them to those serving on the Council's Cabinet? I look forward to your reply.
Regards, Cllr. Angela Craven

M
xxx (Marina Pepper)

Best wishes

John Webber

thank you for your email

the decision was made by the cabinet and not full council full council meets on dec 7th and members of the public can put forward written questions. I am unable to make a public coment at this time as it would stop me from taken part in the debate.
I hope this is some help
Andrew (Small)

Thank you for your email, comments are noted.
Shirley (James)

I do not agree with your evaluation, If a community stadium is so important, why was a facility so close to road and rail links sold off for retail use? Which I can see no shortage of in the City on my doorstep. In the process making B & H Albion homeless.
As the Councillor which represented not only you but Falmer and the villages along the C7 as well as being the County Council's representative, and currently the Lewes District Cllr South Downs Joint Committee, I consider I have a duty of Care for the Downs. I fought against (successfully) against a sewage works in the ANOB for which there is a national need, when balanced against a football stadium I think you have my answer. This is from a long time Albion supporter, until they sold their ground.
All the best
David Neighbour.

Thank you for writing; I am particularly grateful for the thoughtful and courteous content and tone of your missive.
As your councillor in Kingston ward, I am particularly keen to ensure that I respond fully to all questions and arguments. If you could email your address I will do a proper paper response or indeed pop in to see you (if I can make time/if you can).
Just briefly on the money issue which is understandably of concern, I can assure you that LDC's commitment will certainly not be of the level you indicate (£100k plus).
Thanks.
Yours
Neil Commin

Thank you for your email, the contents of which I have noted.

Whilst I have been asked to measure my response in view of the likely legal status of forthcoming action, I would point out that my view - which I am unable to personally outline as I am constrained by the concept of "collective responsibility" - was based on a reported net cost to the LDC budget of only £25,000 after contributions from other bodies reportedly in line with the LDC Cabinet policy to contest the ODPM decision in the High Court, including Falmer Parish Council and two other bodies.

Had the figure you are alleging had been put before Councillors to consider, actually formed the basis of our discussions, there would have had to have been a different course of action, given that £25,000 I understand is the maximum amount of expenditure on a single item that LDC Cabinet are able to commit to without calling a full meeting of the Council.

It was felt that given the nature of the case, with a limited time for any body to appeal against the ODPM decision, that a decision whether or not to contest it had to be made by the deadline in early December. That decision was made by LDC Cabinet last week, meeting at the Downs Leisure Centre on Thursday.

I hope these notes help your understanding as to the procedures adopted in the decision to further contest the ODPM verdict on the Falmer application put forward by BHAFC.

Yours sincerely,

Bob Brown
LDC Councillor Seaford South ward

Many thanks for your email.

Any costs incurred by LDC in challenging the decision of the First Secretary of State will not come from an increase in council tax next year.

However, I cannot assure you that the council tax will not have to be increased to cover the cost of essential services owing to the poor settlement received from the Government.

You may have read in some of the papers of the £2.2 billion 'black hole' in their finances that councils throughout England will be faced with unless Government inject extra money. That will be the cause of any rise in council tax.

I absolutely agree that Saltdean is not well served with facilites and residents have to look to other areas. However I deplore the fact that for both East Sussex County Council and Brighton & Hove this area seems not to figure any of there spending plans.

After years of neglect B&H City Council sold off the Lido and attached community building - what a resource for all ages that could have been for the area.

Re the £100k plus, this figure was quoted in the Argus and is one which has not come from any source within LDC.

Liz Lee

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
David Neighbour's answer :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I was told for a fact that Lewes District council didn't care about Southern Water's application for the sewage works in the AONB until Peacehaven Town council kicked up a stink.
And as for his comments about the Goldstone :eek:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
David Neighbour = Tosser.

Although my polite reply to him doesn't mention the word!:angry: :angry:

Interesting to see Liz Lee responding.

How does this square with the press statement put out by LDC immediately after the meeting that "because the matter will now be subject to a decision of the High Cpourt, the District Council does not intend to issue any further statements at this stage, whether oral or written" ?

She is a member of the Cabinet that took the decision. She doesn't seem to be following the line they agreed at their meeting... to say NOTHING.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I also don't understand how she can say no costs will come from council tax money?

Surely it has to come from somewhere? Or is there a magic hat that councils can dip into whenver they want to go on some mad folly?!!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
David Neighbour seems to be out of touch with reality. If people like him are protecting the South Downs that is bad news for those who genuinely love the countryside. He is clearly a well practised liar.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
David Neighbour has really wound me up with that answer.. not a good start to the week.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
David Neighbour's reply defies belief. So because of what Archer did we can never have another ground, no matter how hard the current board work or how much of their own money they use to keep us afloat?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Giraffe said:
ANOB ... David Neighbour.

How appropriate.

It is worrying that people who know so little are in positions of influence. You'd think they'd at least ensure they have a basic understanding of issues they cover.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Re: Re: Lewes DC - councillor's email responses

Repugnant Toad said:
How appropriate.

It is worrying that people who know so little are in positions of influence. You'd think they'd at least ensure they have a basic understanding of issues they cover.

They have but they change their opinions with the weather and depending to whom they are speaking.

Two faced politicians all of them.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Re: Re: Lewes DC - councillor's email responses

Repugnant Toad said:
How appropriate.

Idiots like him will only ever be a local politician and I suspect he'll be bombarded with letters and emails advising him that he clearly knows bugger all about this matter and questioned about his support for something he knows eff all about?

Even though I live in Guildford I will be happy to campaign for any of these idiots' opponents in the next election-they do not deserve to be in public office.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
So Bob Brown says "based on a reported net cost to the LDC budget of only £25,000 after contributions from other bodies reportedly in line with the LDC Cabinet policy to contest the ODPM decision in the High Court, including Falmer Parish Council and two other bodies".

Where are Falmer Parish Council getting money from, and who our the other two bodies?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Curious Orange said:
So Bob Brown says "based on a reported net cost to the LDC budget of only £25,000 after contributions from other bodies reportedly in line with the LDC Cabinet policy to contest the ODPM decision in the High Court, including Falmer Parish Council and two other bodies".

Where are Falmer Parish Council getting money from, and who our the other two bodies?

Wouldn't the FOI Act get you that information? It's worth a quick letter and the cost of a stamp.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Curious Orange said:

Melanie Cutress and her Forfars money?
Never mind boycotting the shops, should we picket them?

D

Deleted User X18H

Yorkie said:
Melanie Cutress and her Forfars money?
Never mind boycotting the shops, should we picket them?
I have already said the Yorkie ............now lets fc*king get on with it. Saturday 9am meet churchill square 1 Imperial Arcade 2) Church Road Hove 3) The one By the Druids Head 4) the one in Scummy London Road.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
All together now :

"Neighbours... everybody needs a good Neighbour"...unless it's that c*nt.

What a dick.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
hove born&bred said:
I have already said the Yorkie ............now lets fc*king get on with it. Saturday 9am meet churchill square 1 Imperial Arcade 2) Church Road Hove 3) The one By the Druids Head 4) the one in Scummy London Road.

Sorry i must have missed something here, whats the connection between forfars (i presume this woman owns it) and the falmer decision?

Councillors. f***ing scum, (almost) the lot of them. Give a narrow-minded ignorant prick a bit of power, and this will always be the result.

I'm glad I don't live in Lewes DC and have to be represented by the morons responsible for this decision, and responsible for the views outlined above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here