Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes DC budget only 25k for hearing

I have just received this e-mail back from Lewes DC (apologies if its already fixtures, Kanchelsjis etc) . I have removed the name to protect the source

Dear Mr

In a recent e-mail you asked for details of the Council's estimated budget of £25,000 for the Falmer case. The details are as follows:

We have estimated the Council's legal costs to be a maximum of £35,000 and those of the Government to be a maximum of £20,000. In addition, we have made an estimate of £10,000 as both a contingency and to cover miscellaneous administrative costs which may be incurred. The total estimated cost, is therefore, £65,000.

To meet this total cost, Falmer Parish Council has committed a contribution of up to £30,000, with the Sussex Downs Society and South Downs Joint Committee each committing contributions of up to £5,000. Therefore Lewes District Council's net budget is £25,000 (£65,000 minus £30,000 minus £5,000 minus £5,000).

Yours sincerely

Stephen Jump
Financial Services Manager
Lewes District Council

Last edited:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I've got my back against the record machine ...
I ain't the worst that you've seeeeeeeen ...
Oh can't you see what I meeeeeeean ?
Might as well jump! Stephen Jump !
Der der der der der!

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
And this is where their maths just do not add up. If the Albion's solcitor is £90,000, I shudder to think why they believe the government's solicitor is only £20,000. Absolutely brain-dead baffling.

Falmer Parish Council have, as yet, not been able to cough up their promised £30,000. In fact, they are still £15,000 short. Which means someone has to find that other £15,000. Yep, even though they don't like it one little bit, it's going to be the taxpayers of Lewes District Council.

You can write to them outlining their totally disastrous reasoning regarding matters of fiscal management, but they (a) won't listen and (b) won't understand. It kind of makes me feel better about the stadium knowing we are dealing with 24-carat fuckwits.

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
It's costs more than £20,000 in costs to buy a house these days!*

*slight exaggeration warning

BarrelofFun said:
So a public body with limited funds, could not contest a decision? Surely there must be some form of aid, should this happen.
The Judicial Review process isn't there to allow public authorities to squabble. It's supposed to be a last resort for the CITIZEN who has been wronged.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Lord Bracknell said:
The Judicial Review process isn't there to allow public authorities to squabble. It's supposed to be a last resort for the CITIZEN who has been wronged.

So if Lewes were to win the Judicial Review (which they won't) could we take the result of their Judicial Review to a Judicial Review as we would then be wronged?

Last edited:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Repugnant Toad said:
I've got my back against the record machine ...
I ain't the worst that you've seeeeeeeen ...
Oh can't you see what I meeeeeeean ?
Might as well jump! Stephen Jump !
Der der der der der!

David Lee Roth would be proud.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Lord Bracknell said:

I have been looking at the ODPM website for work, and thought I might be able to find out some stats for successful JRs. Are they available somewhere, Lord B?

Is there anything I can do, other than writing into the Argus. I think they are sick of me now. I don't live in the LDC.

As far as elections are concerned, if the DPM has not abolished local councils, would it be possible for a hoard of Brighton fans, to "rent out" a room in someones house in time to register a vote?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Storer68 said:
I have just received this e-mail back from Lewes DC (apologies if its already fixtures, Kanchelsjis etc) . I have removed the name to protect the source

Dear Mr

In a recent e-mail you asked for details of the Council's estimated budget of £25,000 for the Falmer case. The details are as follows:

We have estimated the Council's legal costs to be a maximum of £35,000 and those of the Government to be a maximum of £20,000. In addition, we have made an estimate of £10,000 as both a contingency and to cover miscellaneous administrative costs which may be incurred. The total estimated cost, is therefore, £65,000.

To meet this total cost, Falmer Parish Council has committed a contribution of up to £30,000, with the Sussex Downs Society and South Downs Joint Committee each committing contributions of up to £5,000. Therefore Lewes District Council's net budget is £25,000 (£65,000 minus £30,000 minus £5,000 minus £5,000).

Yours sincerely

Stephen Jump
Financial Services Manager
Lewes District Council
Has someone at LDC asked the Government what expenses will be incurred for the JR and their reply of £20k are just for the catering expenses !

Last edited:

BarrelofFun said:
I have been looking at the ODPM website for work, and thought I might be able to find out some stats for successful JRs. Are they available somewhere, Lord B?

Not on the ODPM website, but these are the best statistics that I have access to:-

Town And Country Planning Appeals
Substantive Hearings Jan 00 to Nov 05 Inclusive
The figures in each line refer to all Judicial Review cases-
Civil cases; TCP Act Section 288 cases; TCP Act Section 289 cases; Total number of cases

Jan 00 to Dec 00
Allowed 29 71 21 121
Dismissed 32 66 12 110
Total 61 137 33 231

Jan 01 to Dec 01
Allowed 17 38 13 68
Dismissed 18 54 9 81
Total 35 92 22 149

Jan 02 to Dec 02
Allowed 11 33 5 49
Dismissed 14 62 11 87
Total 25 95 16 136

Jan 03 to Dec 03
Allowed 10 26 7 43
Dismissed 12 52 11 75
Total 22 78 18 118

Jan 04 to Dec 04
Allowed 10 22 6 38
Dismissed 12 57 8 77
Total 22 79 14 115

Jan 05 to Nov 05
Allowed 9 10 3 22
Dismissed 10 31 3 44
Total 19 41 6 66

The Falmer case is an Appeal under Section 288 of the Town & Country Planning Act.

200 out of 522 such appeals (38 per cent) were successful. Bear in mind, though, that these were not all cases against the Deputy Prime Minister. A good proportion of them would have been appeals in cases where the final decision had been delegated to Government Regional Offices or Planning Inspectors themselves.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Thank you very much Lord B. The statistics seem to favour us, coupled with the countries sporting drive. Shame the site isn't bigger to allow a "bubble" similar to that of Reading that could offer the children of sussex sporting facilities.

One last request Lord B. Is there a time scale to qualify as a resident of the LDC to vote in the next elections? Could Albion fans accross the district rent out a "spare room" to fellow Albion fans who could then vote and oust the current council, assuming JP has not abolished them, by then..... Just a thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here